Is it just me?

Good day all,

With the weather as it is this morning I've spent some time surfing the net looking at various videos on youtube, etc.

One thing stands out. What I want to hear when watching a model is the model as it flys about, not being forced to listen to some rubbish soundtrack that the film maker wants to shove down my throat (or should that be ears?). For example, I had started to watch Timbos Fly-fly Hawk but after about ten seconds turned it off because of the soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a good bit of music, but if I wanted to listen to music I'd put my mp3 player on. I suppose I could mute the sound but then watching a silent film doesn't appeal.

Am I the only one?

Gavin Livsey

Advert

Thats very interesting actually Gavin - as wifey and I discussed sound tracks for this clip as the movie was being compiled. I actually find that in most cases the exact opposite happens to me ! EG: I start to watch a video of a model flight which I am looking forward to, only to be bored pretty quickly as the model soon becomes the almost inevitable "dot in the sky" and the motor /engine sound has disappeared anyway!
I am left listening either to silence ( which as you say is awful ) or the chattering of the pilot /cameraman - equally uninspiring. I stop watching very quickly.
Now, when doing this clip, we were conscious of these factors, and I deliberately faded out the music as the model was ROG, and also left the levels such that on close flybys at high speed the whine of the EDF could still be heard.
Seems the 5 hours of late night work to put this together was not well spent
Don't get me wrong, I take on board the comments entirely, but suggest that it is down to ( understandably ) different people liking different music.
I fely that a "jet" flight deserved a fastish upbeat type track. If you can bring yourself to do so, check out a couple of earlier films I did on U Tube of inflight filming onboad a slope soarer.... here the selection was Fleetwood Mac's  "Albatross" - appropriate I think?
remeber finally that a finished clip such as this is usually a combination of editing, and if left with the original "sound" it would appear very odd !
Horses for courses I guess but thanks for the comments
PS the alternative is to dub in the sound of a real Jet ( something which was done to great effect by another budding Spielberg on U tube )
But then ...as stated...its been done  .

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 07/06/2009 13:10:54

i think that  as timbo says,its really up to personal choice .i myself prefer a soundtrack i think it adds to a video and quite often enhances .something that could turn out quite mundane.,but thats just me i suppose.have you seen dave royds video of weston park last year? {not that its mundane in anyway i might add} but the soundtrack turns a very good video into something awesome dudes!! {sorry have been talking to young people to much lately!}

Hi all, I think it's an age thing. Yes, when the music starts, I switch off! Perhaps if perhaps if Lizst, Mozart et al had had RC airplanes to write sound tracks for, then things would be different. Timbo, I'm not detracting from from your superb model. I love the videos but switch off the sound, sorry

Plus - don't forget that putting a video up on YouTube with a copyrighted piece of music is illegal...  I have learnt that the hard way.

Peter Green and his team of lawyers will be listening out for "Albatross" on all our model vids!

Edited By Marc Humphries on 07/06/2009 17:31:06

I have mentioned elsewhere the Muzak that afflict all too many videoes. A music soundtrack with the audio varied to suit the visiblity of the model can certainly enhance them. The big problem other than personal musical taste is that most guys have the impression that LOUD is better. When an IC model flies close and fast or even slow I expect to hear an engine, not a "Heavy Metal" screeching guitar.

I am sorry that I once upset a young lad and his Dad a bit,,, Matty I think it was, for this very reason although I cannot now remember what the Muzak was.

To me it seems it's part of the creation of the video maker. I thought two Marilyn Manson tracks went very well spliced with my HZ Cub video I put up on Youtube. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately for some) Warner didn't appreciate my copyright infringement

I think it is like most music, if it isn't something you know or listen to it sounds pretty awful. The makers of the videos know the tracks well and probably think it goes great with the clip... but perhaps in reality it only works for them because of familiarity.

Certainly though I've seen some great clips where the music really really did work, even if it wouldn't have been my own choice for the clip, equally I like anyone else have stopped watching if the music wasn't something I wanted to listen to. The worst for me though is a whinning IC engine.. oops sorry it doesn't work for me. Give me the purr or whistle of an electric or the 'real' sound of a merlin, now that is music to the ears.

Timbo you must have got it something like right because until I read this thread I did not recall the music on your Hawk video!

I do agree that music can be annoying on plane videos (model or full size!) but then I don't play music when I'm in the car as I like to hear the engine - just in case something goes wrong saving me serious expense at least  twice.

I found it out by reading through the copyright disclaimer it talks about if a soundtrack found as being simular to one found in their database it blocks your video, i have had two videos muted, i think the only company that blocks them is Warner Media group, which means a lot of my favourite songs are out the window

scratch that 3 have been muted

what do you think of this? i think it kinda suits it, from this point on i will do a soundtracked and non soundtrack version of my videos so no one can complain