Ripmax WOT4 Mk2 ARTF chat

Advert

Hi all we had a demo with the new wot4 at the club I fly with It is a great plane and flys better than the Original one and it only weighs about 3lb my only dislike was the colours white red and black They might bring out other colours later I hope Cheers. Mark

• 1 month later...
Mine arrived a couple of days ago, and it'll be taking my Irvine 53 - so I was amused to seen an Irvine 53 in the build photo's in the instruction manual. 

It's all built now, basically took 1 evening to assemble and fine tune the cowl. Just waiting for a couple of servo's to finish off. 

Overall, for the price, and having not yet flown it I am very happy. However, I did have a couple of issues...

1. I have changed the rudder control horns on the closed loop system, just couldn't get the very short threaded bar secure enough to produce accurate movement where it goes through the rudder, so I now have regular control horns fitted back-to-back and still using the loop. Works well - on the ground at least!

2. the axel on the tail is too short for the collet and the wheel, but only by a fraction, I had to shave down one side of the wheel to fit both on. Then found that the grub in the collet was rounded off. So I had to subistute a spare.

3. the threaded section of the control horn fitting (the little bit with the grub screw in that tightens down onto the m2 rod) was also too short to fit through the servo horn and have the nut fiitted. Again, I had a spare from my box of bits.

looking forward to flying

Hi Graham, welcome to the family, i have nearly finished my build and am going to post it all over the next day or so. I was very weary of the closed loop and am still not sure about it, may go your way with the push rod.
I am generally impressed with the construction but the wings were slightly out when i dry fitted them so had to adjust this when i epoxied them.
My collet didn't fit to the tail wheel and i am glad i keep all spare parts i get cuz my grub screw was rounded off as well! i thought it was just a one off but obviously not!!
And when it came to fitting the wings i find cheap and nasty wing bolts. bit more thought on them would have been nice.

Hi David

I did keep the closed loop, but the fittings on the rudder have been replaced. I used 2 standard control horns, fastened to each other, one on each side of the rudder. It feels really precise, and without having too much tension in the loop. The with is wider than the bar supplied  so the throw is reduced but but the overall control throw is still more than the recommended in the manual.

My Modification:

(the observant will see I haven't fitted the elevator push rod yet)

Those of you who have got this already, I'm curious about one thing.

Is it "typical" artf construction  -  ie the first decent prang will convert it to matchsticks  -  or does it have the robustness of the kits?

Given the quoted weight I'm guessing its very likely the former, but would welcome informed views from those of you who actually have the model in your hands