wing configuration and inverted flying

Scubajon

Advert

I think it depends on the shape of the wing Scubajon.

If it is a symetrical wing then i think it does have the same effect whether inverted or not. If it is a non-symetrical wing then i assume there would be complications with flying inverted and further control inputs would be needed.

My trainer with a flat bottomed wing will fly inverted but it needs alot of down elevator and speed to keep it inverted!!

A typical aerobatic aircraft with a symetrical wing can happily fly slow and inverted and may not need too much further control inputs.

Also, a big engine providing a lot of power at the front end helps.

Very good question though and cant wait for someone to give an aerodynamic answer.

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 18/09/2009 18:59:13

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 18/09/2009 19:13:49

Not an aerodynamics answer...but my reockoning is that with a non symmetrical wing section, to maintain inverted flight, the angle of attack has to be raised in order to maintain lift....IE as Ross discovered...lots of forward pressure on the stick ( down elevator but now "up" elevator as the model is inverted )

I can follow that argument if the wing is symetrical, but in the current model I'm building, a Lancaster with 96" wigspan, the wing cofiguration is of the "normal" shape.  Not sure I would want to try and fly that upside down!!  lol  And it would certainly require a lot of "up" elevator to maintain the inversion!

lol   not a chance!  it was just a joke!  I've seen lots of models inverted and now I think of it, most of them were stunt planes or similair so they would most probably have symetrical wings, they would need them perform as they do, but I'm sure not all I've seen are like that so that was what prompted the question. cheers

There are 2 schools of thought regarding the production of lift and I subscribe to both!

The classic explanation involves Bernoulli's principle where a reduction in pressure is caused by the air being "forced" to travel faster over the top wing.

Lately, it has become fashionable to discard this in favour of the "Newtonian" theory of lift being an opposite and equal force to the airflow being deflected downwardsby the wing. Having said that I recently read just this explanation in a book from before the First World War!

Empirically, my opinion is that both contribute. You can sometimes "see" the reduction in pressure when a wing is pulled to high angles of attack and a cloud of  water vapour forms over the top of it as a consequence of the pressure reduction. Equally, a flat plate wing can be made to produce lift by holding it at a positive angle of attack.

We know that you can fly a Clark Y flat bottomed profile wing upside down and to do this we need a greater angle of attack to overcome the "inbuilt" angle of attack of the profile and the inefficiency of the airflow round the inverted profile.  There is still a longer path for the air to flow over the top (originally the bottom of course) of the wing but it's not such a smooth journey and is much less efficient and prone to turbulence and breakaway.

The reason why a symetrical wing needs down elevator is that if it's trimmed to fly level the right way up, it needs elevator to overcome the formerly positive angle of attack trimmed in when turned upside down.

To return to the original question, the answer is that if you allowed the wing to maintain the same angle of attack relative to a horizontal line, but inverted, the lift produced would be downwards and the model would descend.  We don't, as we add down elevator to increase the angle of attack so that the model maintains a horizontal path. This will, in the case of an asymetric profile, put the wing at a higher angle of attack when inverted to produce the same lift, requiring much more down elevator than a symetrical section due to its aerodynamic inefficiencies.

Edited By Martin Harris on 19/09/2009 10:26:37

"Australian "mode  1st time I've seen it called that, but I am new (again) to this field of hobby and have seen many new modern abbreviations and sayings that were not around in my day when I last built model aircaraft In the 1950's.  I'm gwetting quite confused at times!  lol  But, a Lanc inverted, that really is sacrilege!   There's no way I am going tio deliberatly fly mine like that  Normally will be a renewal experience for me as it's a very long time since I flew.  My idea is to trim it myself and then get a more experienced flyer to take it up the first time.  My turn will come later!  lol

Hi Scubajon.
 Well i'd confirm what Bomber Harris, sorry, Martin Harris  has to say, particulary as regards symetrical wing sections.
 I fly a Seb Art  Sukhoi 29s 30E which has a symetrical wing section and handles extremely well in inverted flight and in fact needs no elevator input to maintain level  flight with the throttle at the right level. I'm not quite sure why or how this is possible as i expected to need to use elevator to keep the nose up (or down in down under mode )
 Must be in the overall design of the airframe i guess!

Regards Vic.

Well, if I read right, a symetrical wing works the same both ways adn it's the same profile on the underside as the topside so if the aircraft is trimmed correctly it would need the same setting for elevators as in normal flight.  Of course, I could be wrong and I'm sure i will hear about it if I am wrong!  lol   Bomber Harris eh!  I remember him from my childhood.  He was still arond when I was little.  Damn, now I've let on just how ancient I am!   I read somewhere on this web site that being older makes for a better flyer...............but I had better not say any more on that!  lol

Performing a loop is a little different from the "Australian" position!  The aircraft is in a manouvre where it only inverted for a very short time so i would think it'#s quite a different kettle of fish from inversion. how it got up enough speed to perfoma loop I don't know as it's Max. speed was only 280mph and for an aircraft of it's weight and size i would not have thought that was possible.  Well, we live and learn something new each day!  lol

Scubajon
Don't forget that a lightly loaded Lancaster (no bombs, ammo and limited fuel) is a powerful beast. The problem with looping such a plane is more likely to be keeping within limits on the way down rather than getting it up and over.

I understand the Vulcan (B2 prototype?) has been unofficially looped straight off the runway and it was certainly rolled. (there is video of it on U tube)

Yes, you probably right, with almost no load it would be possible and as you say a problem to pull it out of it.  Anyway not going to try it with mine!  That video of the roll is amazing.  Must have took an enormous amount of courqge and a lot of skill!  Would not have liked to be in it at the time!  lol   My original question has certainly sparked off  a lot of discussion.  lol 

Hi All
        I have a question, not really regarding the aerodynamics of a lanc downside up. 
  What happens if you are in that position and the bomber crys   "Bombs Away"  Now you really understand what praying is all about and that adrenalin really is brown ...

Edited By Bob S on 20/09/2009 19:09:32

No, what you do is abandon ship "tout suite"  and leave him to his own stupid fate!!  lol   Interesting scenario though!  Especially if you know just how large the bomb bay is on a Lanc.  It's about one third the length of the aircraft!  and that's an awful lot of munitions!!  lol   

Just to be a little boring and get back on thread a little, a correctly flown loop and a barrel roll are positive G manoeuvres.  The likelihood is that a Lancaster wouldn't be stressed for negative G so sustained inverted flight would be a no-no.

It wouldn't surprise me if both have been tried with a Lanc at some time!

Look at this video for an illustration of maintaining positive G throughout a barrel roll by one of the finest pilots ever to grasp a control column - Bob Hoover:

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/09/2009 20:54:26