Is it white where you are?

David Ashby - Moderator

Advert

Already had the day booked off work as it was our annual Christmas fly-in and lunch (followed by a liberal application of alcohol - there will be quite a few thick heads tomorrow!)

After getting through the snow into the field (battering down the snow with our 6 foot wide tractor pulled mower to get the cars to the car park where necessary) various models were flown although gathering and lowering cloud made things interesting later in the morning.

The snow was very powdery and once things warmed up a bit , the skis on my Limbo Dancer tended to sink in which limited the long touch, slither and goes that I had fun with last year - perhaps it will compact a bit overnight?

Look carefully and you can see where the prop tips started to sink into the snow before a rapid stop!

Great morning to be out in the fresh air!

AWWHHH Poly what did you have to go and say that for!!!

METCHECK says cold and dry - I'm going with them!

Sure PM me the number, if I do get to the field this weekend I'll let you know the state of play. When I was up there last week it was literally ouzzing water out as you walked and we had to park in the hospital and walk down. It might be frozen now!

BEB

I could not resist to fly in this conditions so I put skis on my edge and went to the field with my son.

look at

I can confirm the findings of Martin Harris - also my plane tipped over leaving some characteristic prop marks in the snow. Obviously the snow was too soft.
 And my son pressed the trigger of the camera at the righ time. you can see the plane landed - and then slowly tipping over.

By the way - all ok - the prop didn't even break..

of course we will go tomorrow again!

ciao VA 

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 19/12/2009 20:56:50

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 19/12/2009 21:01:08

We are close to the alps - so there is one or the other day every year with some cover of snow. Last year we had "usefull" snow for 2 weeks - after a few days the surface gets a bit rough from sun and wind - but it was still good enough to fly. Fun:  You can fly in these conditions only on a few days per year - so this adds an extra portion of fun.

Some pictures from last winter 

You see how rough the surface is, but no probem to take off from that

Main problem is the temperature. Yesterday we flew only 2 times each and then the whole gang of mad pilots ( we were 5 in total ) moved from the airfield to the next coffee shop were we stayed much longer....
Today: Actual temperature at 8:20 local time: -8,5°C
So I will wait a bit before going out....
VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 20/12/2009 07:30:30

Yep, white here in Halifax.  Yesterday/Friday were beautiful and I fancied a quick fly in the snow - wanted to see if my Draken EDF would ROG Discretion got better part of valour when I realised that the farmers track to the filed was likely to be pretty snowy.  Of course, all the other members in their 4x4s may have already been theer but then I'd have got stuck in the resulting swamp

Must get another baby chopper for the garden.

GG

Between fire calls and baby cries over the weekend I managed to get 30 mins of flying in - took my HTWO-O to my local (deserted) snow covered field and took full advantage of the easy take off and landings the conditions gave.  Fantastic!

And then I slipped over going back to the car and landed on the plane...