Ideas for articles in RCM&E

Posted by Fats Flyer on 27/08/2012 21:35:07:

Danny,i havent seen your thread,but,im not talking about just detailing and finishing.

Im talking about the whole process ,from choosing a plane,getting info on the subject and so on to a finish.

there are some old ( but very good) books that explain this process but because they are old can be a little dated. drawing a plan from 3 views and cutting out the shapes still works. But there are model desiners out there who use CAD and even 3D computer models and then get the shapes laser cut. I have no idea how to overlay a 3 view file into a cad program blow it up to the right size and use it to trace over to create a plan. This is within the relms of the hobby desiner so maybe an article on up to date methods maybe an idea

Advert

Posted by Danny Fenton on 27/08/2012 21:29:35:
Posted by Fats Flyer on 27/08/2012 17:44:31:

There seems to be more and more people starting to build from plans these days and going by the forum,scale detail seems to be top priority on alot of the builds.

What would be nice is having a long term scale project that can run over quite a few issues,showing and explaining all types of scale detail for those who find this a dark art.

The scale plan could be a free issue one month with the write ups rolling over the months.

Im sure there would be plenty of intrest,and having the project over rolling issues.

FF

FF do you not think my continuing saga on detailing and finishing a Brian Taylor Hurricane is not filling this aspect? If not is there anything I have not shown that you would like to see?

Cheers

Danny

I think it is, I am really enjoying your articles, my highlight of the mag. I'd like to see some four strokes! cheeky

CS

Not sure if I have read this idea somewhere already, but how about 'I learnt about flying from that'. (the RAF magazine Air Clues used this title some years ago).

I am sure your regular columnists have some great tales, but also readers could provide some of their own tales (I could give you one or two myself and I have only been RC flying for 3 years!!). This could be expanded to cover model making issues - I learnt about [cyano] from that.....

Regards

Tim

Posted by Phil B on 27/08/2012 22:35:27:
there are some old ( but very good) books that explain this process but because they are old can be a little dated. drawing a plan from 3 views and cutting out the shapes still works. But there are model desiners out there who use CAD and even 3D computer models and then get the shapes laser cut. I have no idea how to overlay a 3 view file into a cad program blow it up to the right size and use it to trace over to create a plan. This is within the relms of the hobby desiner so maybe an article on up to date methods maybe an idea

Now that sounds a good subject to me, especially if the software used for illustration is budget or shareware.

Hi Bob, I thought Alex Whittaker did something on this in a previous issue. He used Turbocad which is fairly cheap.

I also have touched on this in my column, showing the Apache design. More explanantion is on the Apache build thread.

Are you interested in seeing more of the process involved? That might be difficult because the CAD packages are very different, and a step by step would be of limited interest I would suspect.

Cheers

Danny

Danny, I suspect that the variation in CAD packages would be the stumbling block, but a worked example using one CAD app could probably be translated to other packages.

I guess I would need to try a package to see just where I got tripped up in order to find out which processes would need explaining and what minimum equipment level works. For instance, how big a screen is needed? What software limitations are acceptable, and what features essential? What sources of drawing can be used as a start point?

I think you may be right about Alex's article, maybe a trawl through the archives is in order.

I still fancy building a Curtiss CR-3 or a P-6E one day...

I'd second a hints + tips page. I recently bought a couple of r/c hints + tips type books which were good even though they were a bit old so lots of the hints were cunning uses for 35mm film containers which I'm not exactly over-flowing with!

I'm not sure why the H+T type page died out- perhaps it was reliant on people building rather than just flying? But the uptick in building might sort that out.

I think going into the old plans archives is a good idea- particularly with the interest in retro. As long as it's a new article on updating the plane etc etc, not just a re-print of the original build article.

And you can never have too much aerodynamics or basic science behind flight. well not for me anyway- I realise it's not everyone's taste.

Posted by Tim Cheal on 28/08/2012 22:37:04:

Not sure if I have read this idea somewhere already, but how about 'I learnt about flying from that'. (the RAF magazine Air Clues used this title some years ago).

I am sure your regular columnists have some great tales, but also readers could provide some of their own tales (I could give you one or two myself and I have only been RC flying for 3 years!!). This could be expanded to cover model making issues - I learnt about [cyano] from that.....

Regards

Tim

Tim, on similar lines, I requested some personal experiences and a forum thread on the same subject for a collection that appeared in a special issue, year before last if memory serves me.

Posted by Ben B on 29/08/2012 12:29:41:

I'd second a hints + tips page. I recently bought a couple of r/c hints + tips type books which were good even though they were a bit old so lots of the hints were cunning uses for 35mm film containers which I'm not exactly over-flowing with!

I'm not sure why the H+T type page died out- perhaps it was reliant on people building rather than just flying? But the uptick in building might sort that out.

I think going into the old plans archives is a good idea- particularly with the interest in retro. As long as it's a new article on updating the plane etc etc, not just a re-print of the original build article.

And you can never have too much aerodynamics or basic science behind flight. well not for me anyway- I realise it's not everyone's taste.

I think it's fair to say that we don't receive so many hints and tip suggestions these days although readers communicate direct with writers and columnists more than in the past so ideas tend to be communicated via columns etc.

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 27/08/2012 23:07:09:

There seems to be more and more people starting to build from plans these days and going by the forum,scale detail seems to be top priority on alot of the builds.

What would be nice is having a long term scale project that can run over quite a few issues,showing and explaining all types of scale detail for those who find this a dark art.

The scale plan could be a free issue one month with the write ups rolling over the months.

Im sure there would be plenty of intrest,and having the project over rolling issues.

FF

FF do you not think my continuing saga on detailing and finishing a Brian Taylor Hurricane is not filling this aspect? If not is there anything I have not shown that you would like to see?

Cheers

Danny

I think it is, I am really enjoying your articles, my highlight of the mag. I'd like to see some four strokes! cheeky

CS

Alex W writes a guide to four-strokes in the next issue.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 29/08/2012 12:51:01:
Posted by Ben B on 29/08/2012 12:29:41:

I think it's fair to say that we don't receive so many hints and tip suggestions these days although readers communicate direct with writers and columnists more than in the past so ideas tend to be communicated via columns etc.

David I wondered why that is too?

Is it because they have just stopped coming in or is it perhaps that forum's liek this have replaced the mag as they can be more specific and respsonsive. Conversely though I note that tips and hints still prevail in the American mags such as Fly RC and Model Airplane news?

Jon

That's not to say we won't have them in the future but, with a greater accent on trad building in the mag' over the last couple of years, we have to get the balance right.

The regular workshop features also cover this base to a certain extent and in greater detail.

My own reservation about hints and tips is how some (not all of course) can be pretty ordinary while also re-hashed versions of long accepted methods.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 29/08/2012 13:22:09

Posted by colin sayer on 15/07/2012 11:29:18:

David, I would like to see an article on how to cover models, not so much with new coverings but the old ways like cloth, dope & glass, it seems to have gone out of fashion now ways have got easier but Isuspect a lot of people like me would give it a try if only we knew how. thanks Colin

Thanks Colin. Noted. We've certainly..er....covered contemporary covering methods in the last few years. I wrote a mini series and there was an article by Nigel Hawes in the 2010 Special Issue. At least one workshop feature too.

Tony Nijhuis wrote about glass clothing in his 'scale builder' series (last year from memory?).

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 29/08/2012 12:52:08:
Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 27/08/2012 23:07:09:

FF

Cheers

Danny

CS

Alex W writes a guide to four-strokes in the next issue.

Yipee!smiley Some more reviews on IC engines would be nice.

I read your guide to warbirds from a few years back, that was superb. An article which purely describes how to fly warbirds well, and the ideal entry into (WWII) warbirds would be helpful.

CS

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 29/08/2012 13:28:46:
Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 14/07/2012 14:38:06:

I'd like to see more proper kit reviews. Loads of ARTF's, but I want more kit reviews! I liked the Crescent Bullet one and the Skyliner/Bean reviews, but there needs to be more!

Fair comment CSB, we're getting more trad kits into the pipeline. Hold tight.

yesyesyes Holding tight!

CS

Posted by JohnnyB on 24/08/2012 10:13:20:

Hi everyone,

Why not do some articles on some interesting clubs from around the UK. Must be loads of interesting material out there.

Just a thought.

John.

I'm not sure John. I don't want to sound cynical but have a feeling they'd all read pretty similar after 2-3 pieces?

Posted by chris edwards 3 on 14/07/2012 19:10:28:

hi all

i personly think that there sould be a article about the mysterious world of electric flight.

i say this because i am having to replace the motor and ESC on my faithful wot 4 foam-e and there are so many different think you can buy, outrunners, inrunners, ubec ESC the list could go on forever angry

so for this reson alone i would like to see more about electric flight.

regards chris

Chris, we've printed a whole plethora of articles (many by Tim Mackey) on motors, ESCs, batteries, chargers etc. over the last few years. Does anyone still want to see more electric flight guidance?