Ideas for articles in RCM&E

Posted by dorset flyer again on 23/08/2012 23:37:23:

I think the mag should make it's own T.V show, think Topgear but with rc planes ;0)

I would watch it!.

I like that idea, maybe a one hour show every month/ three months, there are plenty of flying fields, expert modelers and ideas out there, It won't be hard to have years of content, like hints and tips, a model in focus, competitions, model shows, sunday flyers etc. im sure some of the brands will put a little bit of money in to help with production.

heres hoping.

bbc'.

Advert

I have only ever built & flown ARTF's but after a 8 year break from modelling have got the urge to design and build. I seem to be spending a lot of time thinking about the hows and whys of designing and thus decided for my first attempt to try and adapt an existing slope soarer plan for use with EDF.

Maybe Tony N could step in and do another great job.

I like the idea of a covering masterclass using the more traditional methods - tissue/dope etc.

P

Posted by JohnnyB on 24/08/2012 10:13:20:

Hi everyone,

Why not do some articles on some interesting clubs from around the UK. Must be loads of interesting material out there.

Just a thought.

John.

I would like to see this also. It has been sugested before but the poo pooers have replied no one is interested in other clubs. I disagree many of use would love to see what goes on if only to be nosey and if it is your club on show i sure lots would like to get their ugly mug in print

Every club has its interesting models and characters

I'd like to see some articles by experienced scale builders on how to improve ARTF models.

Take a "Standard", such as a park zone Spit or an Eflight Hurricane, and show how a trad builder would approach the task of making it a worthy scale competition competitor.

ARTF's are here to stay. What would be nice is advice on how to make one's standard ARTF piper cub foamie into one's own unique piper cub.

I can see the future growth market not in kit's, but in fittings. One can see the same in the car market: Fewer and fewer make their own cars, albiet from scratch or from a kit, but after market bolt on goodie shops continue to thrive.

The same would be valid for a HobbyKing Beech Bonanza..

When I first began reading RCM&E, in the late 'nineties, there was a double page of hints and tips. This sort of ties in with other opinions here, asking to see what other clubs do. By the same process, I'd like to see how others adapt or create tools, techniques, etc to make things better, simpler, or easier. I'm sure some ideas just get recycled, but new people are coming into the hobby all the time, without that knowledge, and we can all learn new things from others, no matter how long we've been in the game.

Why don't RCM&E do comparisons? e.g. Futaba v Spektrum, Trainer v Trainer, Sport model v Sport model, engine type v engine type, glo v electric, etc etc

That would give newbies like myself a better idea of what type of equipment to go for, rather than relying on glossy adverts for inspiration.

There seems to be more and more people starting to build from plans these days and going by the forum,scale detail seems to be top priority on alot of the builds.

What would be nice is having a long term scale project that can run over quite a few issues,showing and explaining all types of scale detail for those who find this a dark art.

The scale plan could be a free issue one month with the write ups rolling over the months.

Im sure there would be plenty of intrest,and having the project over rolling issues.

FF

With such a large back catalogue of plans, why not feature one or two of the old models. You could possibly update them and with the current interest in building, maybe even develop part kits for them. I have quite a few of your old free plans which I intend to "play around with". I am lucky that I have the imagination and ability to do this.

Many of your readers will have looked at your catalogue and thought they would like to build xyz model but are worried that they wouldn't know where to start. Particularly scale plans. How about a series on building from old plans? I like the SE5 build. Could the format be applied here?

Kevinb

Any sort of Hints and Tips page would be great,no matter what sort as most of us could always do with seeing how other people go about this hobby of ours,building,flying,tools or even a how too,you name it i'd find it very interesting.

I bet even the very wise modelers would gain from it too,because we can always learn something new in this hobby,well i know i'm always picking up new tips/ideas when going through the many forums and Youtube of course. wink 2

Personally I'd love to see the return of the old '3 view drawings' that were a regular feature of both Aeromodeller and Model Aircraft. When they did a good quality scale plan (either free or via plans service) they always did an article on the full size complete with 3 view drawings showing those extra details for anyone who wanted to use them.

A good example was when they did the late Doug McHard's SE5A - they included in that issue some of the best 3 views of the original, which even showed the 45 degree 'tilt' of the instrument panel and the 'skylight' over it (sorry Mr Ed - I noticed in your build photos that your one is vertical a la civilian Nash Collection skywriter - the military one had to be tilted to give access to the breech of the Vickers )

Posted by Fats Flyer on 27/08/2012 17:44:31:

There seems to be more and more people starting to build from plans these days and going by the forum,scale detail seems to be top priority on alot of the builds.

What would be nice is having a long term scale project that can run over quite a few issues,showing and explaining all types of scale detail for those who find this a dark art.

The scale plan could be a free issue one month with the write ups rolling over the months.

Im sure there would be plenty of intrest,and having the project over rolling issues.

FF

FF do you not think my continuing saga on detailing and finishing a Brian Taylor Hurricane is not filling this aspect? If not is there anything I have not shown that you would like to see?

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Rex Keene on 24/08/2012 10:32:46:

I'd like to see some articles by experienced scale builders on how to improve ARTF models.

Take a "Standard", such as a park zone Spit or an Eflight Hurricane, and show how a trad builder would approach the task of making it a worthy scale competition competitor.

ARTF's are here to stay. What would be nice is advice on how to make one's standard ARTF piper cub foamie into one's own unique piper cub.

I can see the future growth market not in kit's, but in fittings. One can see the same in the car market: Fewer and fewer make their own cars, albiet from scratch or from a kit, but after market bolt on goodie shops continue to thrive.

The same would be valid for a HobbyKing Beech Bonanza..

Maybe you should read RC Model World. They recently did exactly thatdevil

Posted by GaryG on 27/08/2012 17:34:18:

Why don't RCM&E do comparisons? e.g. Futaba v Spektrum, Trainer v Trainer, Sport model v Sport model, engine type v engine type, glo v electric, etc etc

That would give newbies like myself a better idea of what type of equipment to go for, rather than relying on glossy adverts for inspiration.

IC v Electric devil

Jon Laughton - post deleted, please PM Graham or I to chase up your article.

Folks - I'm not going to reply to every suggestion and posters mustn't expect some form of commitment or agreement from me. That's simply not going to happen in a public forum.

As I've said before, suggestions are very welcome, we appreciate them, we read them all and many have made it into print directly or indirectly over the last few years. Some are good, some are not so good, some show the poster doesn't read the magazine - so be it, we're not here to argue merits of suggestions or put people down, all we want to do is listen and that I can promise you we do.

Please PM me or get in touch direct if you prefer - direct contact details are in every issue.