Ideas for articles in RCM&E

Peter/Ian

One of the probems with a magazine supported forum is that the content on the forum being far more dynamic and current often undermines the magazine content. The amount of advice here (and other similar sites) means that hints and tips are always available and more importantly can be tailored to a specific problem. Sharing a good idea is so much easier and quicker online than writing in with a suggestion.

I am sure that if required, much of the content here could be reverse engineered into a hints and tips column..

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 11/09/2013 12:40:38

Advert

• 5 months later...

I admit I haven't read the whole thread so this might have been mentioned allready, but I miss a good instructional article of how to cover my planes. By that I don't mean how to apply the cover material - there's hundreds of articles on this subject in different magazines and websites - but how to do it pretty.

I have got to the experience level where I can attache the film to both my wings and fuselage and where the wrinkles aren't too obvious to the far away observer. I have also managed to 'decorate' my planes by having two different colours on the outer and inner wingpanel. But how to do next step? How does the experts make all those beuatiful multicolour lines and areas like in the fuselage side on the Mini Tyro in the first picture in this thread? **LINK** Are there any good short-cuts? My first plane was a HiFly from Precedent (anyone remember that oldie?). The kit contained several meters of tape with coloureds stripes. A strip of tape on the fuselage sides as well as on the wing transformed that plane from a boring white dove to a more thrilling.... well, I wouldn't call the HiFly a hawk, maybe more of a mallard smiley Anyway, that was a simple way for a beginner like me to fast and easy improve the looks of my effort. What products exists today?

As well as an article of how to do it I would like to read an article of what to do. I guess there are some patterns that have evolved over time as more pleasing to the eye than others, as well as many patterns that have proved to be quite the opposit. Are there patterns or colours that suits a biplane better than a cabin sportplane? Are there any big no-no's (like having the same colour/pattern on both sides of the wing for a delta-plane)? Where do all the experienced builders find their inspiration?

Another twist on the same theme might be an article of how to improve the looks of an ARF. What can easily be done with paint, decals, fittings, etc?

/Stefan

Danny

Sorry for the delay in replying. I was thinking on glassing for the beginner. Why glass advantages / disadvantages. What do you need to start, are there different cloths / resins what are the best for the beginner to start with. Is it worth the effort to glass a plane / why? I presume only solid surfaces can be glassed and not wings built with ribs or I am wrong? I'm interested is most things associated with model flying and as a sport flyer read the rcme from cover to cover. I'm a member of quite a large club and yet I don't know of anyone who has glassed a plane. Even if you did an article I might never risk it but then I just might as it would broaden my skills or else I would hide the mess I made! Thanks for your interest in replying.

Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 04/03/2014 13:45:08:

How about an article on getting planes out of winter storage and checking them over..I see people who havent considered cycling batteries and dont know how to or how to check capacity, checking for black wire corrosion, etc.

Jez

Excellent suggestion Jez, I think that one might save more than a few models. Especially at this time of year.

Does any one put models into winter storage?

There are models which I do not fly that often, I do not expect ant changes. The only concern, is damage. Even after several years storage (30 ), I have had only one wing warp.

I guess the idea would do no harm. Although the idea of winter storage, is not something I recognise.

Posted by Stefan Revestam on 24/02/2014 11:47:11:

I admit I haven't read the whole thread so this might have been mentioned allready, but I miss a good instructional article of how to cover my planes. By that I don't mean how to apply the cover material - there's hundreds of articles on this subject in different magazines and websites - but how to do it pretty.

/Stefan

The article is now with Graham Ashby

Just wondered if there has ever been a complete "noob" introduction to RC flying ? What to start off with , first plane ideas , how to contact clubs , BMFA and links to RC forums for help ie modelflying.co.uk ?

When I say "noob" I mean a total newbie to all things RC Flying....?

Tony

Posted by Erfolg on 04/03/2014 17:21:22:

I think there are a lot of people who have models that dont come out to play unless the weather is good, or they dont get to fly very often, so not necessarily "winter storage"

I have seen a few models crashed through battery failures that could have been detected had a few simple checks been carried out.

I used to keep models stored in the shed and garage with the batteries left in for long periods of time. After a damp winter I found 3 with corrosion in the negative wire. I now keep the batteries indoors. Who checks their battery wires? - probably not many as you cant always get at them.

I also cycle each battery at the beginning of each year (and a couple of times through the season). Again this has prevented possible model loss by discovering batteries that would not take a full charge - I personally get rid of batteries that wont discharge within 10% of the stated capacity.

How many modellers just use a wall charger and have no idea what capacity their batteries have until its too late?

Its not just batteries either - I have just completed an ARTF build/throw together, as part of this, I took the gear out of my son's trainer (He's found girls so doesn't want to stand in a field at the moment).

The servo's were Spektrum units that were about 4 years old - the arms were incredibly brittle - 2 broke as I tried to remove the pushrods..

Also one of the whiskers on the reciever fell off as I removed the RX. This is despite having the wire supported in tubing....

Granted this aircraft has seen many many hours of use both with my lad but also as a club trainer (over 80 hours on the tx clock).

I think its worth doing other things like going over the seams of the covering - i even have a couple of aerobatic jobbies that get a quick polish with car wax..

What about Glow plugs too? Check the element -you sometimes find ones where the wire is kinked.

Petrol engines - check/clean the plug. Any filters to check? If you dont leave a bit of fuel in the tank then the diaghram can dry out causing issues. Felt filters shrink leading to crud being inhaled by the engine.

Hinges - especially furry ones, are prone to becoming brittle - The kit I have just assembled is an unused YT Rush - I had to bin all of the brand new hinges as they were rock hard and would have snapped in a short period of time.

Blimey - I feel like I'm writing the article!

What else do people check?

Jez

from time to time people ask on the forum here------any books on the subject of learning to fly a R/C model...why doesn't the mag set away with a series of article's that readers could collect and put together a manual for the very subject......and when its all done say over 12 months-also publish the same as an available book(something along the lines of the DB book's)...but with a modern approach to them.......

ken Anderson ne..1 idea's /10%/dragons den/ commission dept

Well Ken - I've cut and pasted all the Peter Jenkins thread on "Ever wanted to improve your aerobatics?" into WORD and cut out some of the extraneous stuff - I now have a very valuable and informative document.

Takes a while but free!

Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 05/03/2014 09:13:05:
Posted by Erfolg on 04/03/2014 17:21:22:

What else do people check?

Jez

If a model has been unused for a good while, then a very comprehensive check is in order.

It doesn't take long for a quick physical check of the structure for looseness of joints, check that hinges won't pull apart, horns and clevises are sound, check U/C isn't wobbly or the motor/engine loose.

I check that the radio installation is still sound, everything mounted properly, no wires are chaffed or coming out of the plugs and all plugs pushed home. Are aerials intact, at 90 deg and as far apart as possible?

Next, a good look at LiPos. Are my soldered joints still good? Is the heatshrink intact and covering everything it should. A check of balance, and a full charge. With my old trusty (c2008) A123 packs, I've been doing capacity tests lately, these batteries are just starting to loose capacity.

Finally, a full function test. Does the radio operate everything as expected? Does the motor run true and without vibration. Did I do anything unusual with the Tx programming? This becomes a bit of a re-familiarisation with the model.

At the field then, another checkover for transit damage as usual, and a RANGE TEST. I'm constantly amazed at how little range testing I see these days. Some folk seem to be assuming that 2.4Ghz kit is so bombproof that a range test isn't necessary.

I guess that very few of the above potential problems would be caused purely by storage, but it's entirely possible that a model was well used last season, and had been put away with one or two things not quite right.

As you say Jez - the article is pretty much here for the taking now

Posted by Danny Fenton on 04/03/2014 18:59:03:

And a glassing one is work in progress wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny,

I will look forward to seeing this. This is a technique I have not tried yet, but would love to have up my sleeve for future builds.

It would be good to know what is involved in terms of preparation of surfaces, application etc.

cheers

dave

I have quite enjoyed the interviews at the back of the mag with various luminaries in the modelling world although would prefer a little more depth to the questions (rather than the "what would you do if you won the lottery".

Having being forced by the wife to watch a taped programme on cookery (Pies and Puddings!) I was interested to find that Paul Hollywood of "Great British Bakeoff" fame fly's R/C models . I vaguely remember that Mr Schumacher and certain other Pop stars are followers of our hobby - anyone know of any? (Mike Oldfield and one of the Pink Floyd chaps also come to mind)