Ideas for articles in RCM&E

Advert

• 7 months later...

Your Club can Win.

1) Set a goal for the club environment- nothing too difficult for the newer builders, but a club effort it must be.

2) say the club has 20 members at least eleven must participate to be eligible.

3) simple sheet model that can be electric or methanol of any size.

4) a group photo of models with your club inspired RCM&E signage.

just a start, what else could make it viable and much more fun?

bbc

Edited By bouncebounce crunch on 21/03/2017 07:24:47

When I started reading RCM&E it was just that. The E being electronics.

What happened to all those “projects” ? I still remember the airfix car made r/c with a valve receiver!!!. There are plenty of people out there doing the new and innovative things but the ARTF boys seem to be getting all the goodies. What about us old soldering iron wielders?. If you are over 60 you probably “built” your first single channel gear. Show these youngsters what its all about. Not unpack and fly but build and enjoy.

Wilco I am far from 60,but i do appreciate the skill building achievements that can become a thrill when successful. I believe we need more put back into schools to spark all those that will try to make a better mousetrap.

Soldering i am finding more enjoyable with the correct tools, jigs and guidance.

This hobby is more than science, math, metal work, wood work, electronics, and a forgiving wife. love it.

Maybe a refresher (for those of us who have been round long enough to know how to do it) on actually trimming a model to fly (test-glide, adjust CoG to get a straight flight path, etc) before playing with the transmitter trim controls. I have read posts (elsewhere) where some people who wandered in complained that trhere wasn't enough travel on the tx controlss (crazy but true).

The art of trimming 'free flight' prior to actually powering up and hoping for the best seems to be lost and the tendency to trim via the transmitter appears to be very prevalent.

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 23/03/2017 17:03:41

• 1 month later...

What would be good but not really asking for an article could we maybe get a cd (or a download link) with cad files for each free plan, as I think most of the files would already be available and more than a few of us now CNC ect

Mad but worth asking for

Pete / Jon,

I agree this is interesting but I imagine the extra cost of the CD would eliminate the free plan! Perhaps instead of a CD there could be a protected download site that allowed you to download the file only after putting in your subscription number and password - this could even be set so you can only download a file once or only a set number of downloads per subscription.

I am sure this would not be liked by those that prefer to buy a single copy of the magazine but they still have the free plan.

I have a few 35 Mhz transmitters gathering dust. I would like to see an article on converting a standard 35Mhz TX to 2.4 Ghz using a suitable module i.e. what to take out and what to put in and how to test. Also what RXs could be used with the set up.

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 02/08/2016 20:49:20:

How about an article on radio control faults and necessary maintenance on all 27, 35 Mhz systems and 2.4 Ghz systems.

I am in the process of eliminating glitching problems on my 35 Mhz gear and will soon be investing in some Futaba 2.4 Ghz gear.

Mike, seriously?

Given the affordable nature of radio gear these days and the fact that none of the main brands have made 35mhz gear for neatly 10 years now, I'd imagine would feel the need to repair old 27 and 35 meg systems?

Posted by Chris North 3 on 02/05/2017 10:12:04:

Pete / Jon,

I agree this is interesting but I imagine the extra cost of the CD would eliminate the free plan! Perhaps instead of a CD there could be a protected download site that allowed you to download the file only after putting in your subscription number and password - this could even be set so you can only download a file once or only a set number of downloads per subscription.

I am sure this would not be liked by those that prefer to buy a single copy of the magazine but they still have the free plan.

It's a matter of cost yes and the fact that so many plans are just copied across other forums and websites.

The magazine invests in plans (we pay people for them), but far too many have no qualms about republishing them, the good ol' Outerzone being a case in point, fine resource that it is...

Posted by kevin b on 02/05/2017 19:10:12:

Hi David.

The project is coming along nicely.

How about something for waterplane tyros ?

There may be a few out there who only have access to a wet flying strip and would like to learn to fly.

A bit brave learning to fly with the added element of a liquid runway Kevin laugh

We did have such an article a few years ago and, if I recall it's now on this site.

Posted by Wilco Wingco on 21/03/2017 10:33:03:

When I started reading RCM&E it was just that. The E being electronics.

What happened to all those “projects” ? I still remember the airfix car made r/c with a valve receiver!!!. There are plenty of people out there doing the new and innovative things but the ARTF boys seem to be getting all the goodies. What about us old soldering iron wielders?. If you are over 60 you probably “built” your first single channel gear. Show these youngsters what its all about. Not unpack and fly but build and enjoy.

We've had a couple of recent articles that come close to filling the old E slot, a couple more on the way too.

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 23/03/2017 17:02:48:

Maybe a refresher (for those of us who have been round long enough to know how to do it) on actually trimming a model to fly (test-glide, adjust CoG to get a straight flight path, etc) before playing with the transmitter trim controls. I have read posts (elsewhere) where some people who wandered in complained that trhere wasn't enough travel on the tx controlss (crazy but true).

The art of trimming 'free flight' prior to actually powering up and hoping for the best seems to be lost and the tendency to trim via the transmitter appears to be very prevalent.

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 23/03/2017 17:03:41

Good suggestion.