Ideas for articles in RCM&E

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

I'd love to see an article on how ARTF models make it to the shelves. From idea to design process, moulding (for foamies) or building, packaging and packaging. I think this sort of thing really interesting. The same kind of thing could be done for engines, electronics, transmitters etc. you guys put enough of their products on the pages the least they could do is let you have a poke around their design and manufacturing processes.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been reading the Mag for some time, and while it is my hands-down favourite read, I notice that covering and finishing are not represented as much as other aspects of the hobby. I would be very interested to see in-depth articles on using shrink-film, tissue and dope and the alternatives. This may have been brought up before, so apologies just in case.

Also, Kevin above mentioned old plans. How about something on the all-time most popular, most unorthodox, best performing etc. free plans?

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I have just recently returned to the hobby and at the start I was overcome by the amount of different systems that are around when I was last in the hobby we all used 27MHz band radios now from what i read most people are using 2.4 GHz and it seams like each manufacture uses a different system for the transmitting protocol how about a article about the different protocols and which receivers work with which transmitters.

I recently came across a problem when i purchased a new receiver from FrSky a L9R long range and when i tried to use it with my transmitter a 9XR Pro with a FrSky DJT telemetry module which i have used with a few FrSky X8R receivers with great success and when i saw the long range receiver i naturally thought that it would work with it being from the same manufacture but not so so a article on the different protocols would be great.

Regards Poppy Ann.

How about something a bit different.

An article on what to do when the shed is full.

Or, how to dispose of unwanted airframes, unfinished projects, etc.

Or, just, "how to get those old "Hanger Queens" out on the streets.

Just because you have fallen out with an old love, it doesn't mean that someone else might not think they're fit !

smiley

P.S.     I know nothing about writing articles. I just put this post in on behalf of a friend / deceased relative / loft find. All I know is that it is very rare and probably vintage.    wink 2

Edited By kevin b on 18/04/2015 19:42:58

• 3 months later...

Here's an idea.... What about getting your regular contributors to try one of the BMFA competitions in a class that is quite different to what they are known for. It would I think be interesting, informative and provide lots of opportunity to reflect on what they have learned. The kind of thing I have in mind is... just to explain the idea

Danny Fenton has a go at peanut scale indoor free flight.
Nigel Hawes has a go at fun fly
... ns there's scale, F3a, pylon. various gliding disciplines, heli etc etc....

Obviously it would take some time commitment, but there could even be a series of articles.... eg.

a] What do I need to start pylon?

b] Building and reviewing a pylon racer kit

c] Getting ready / having a go

d] Looking back. What do I learn that I'll use elsewhere?

Edited By GrahamC on 22/07/2015 13:06:41

Posted by GrahamC on 22/07/2015 13:05:43:

Here's an idea.... What about getting your regular contributors to try one of the BMFA competitions in a class that is quite different to what they are known for. It would I think be interesting, informative and provide lots of opportunity to reflect on what they have learned. The kind of thing I have in mind is... just to explain the idea

Danny Fenton has a go at peanut scale indoor free flight.
Nigel Hawes has a go at fun fly
... ns there's scale, F3a, pylon. various gliding disciplines, heli etc etc....

Obviously it would take some time commitment, but there could even be a series of articles.... eg.

a] What do I need to start pylon?

b] Building and reviewing a pylon racer kit

c] Getting ready / having a go

d] Looking back. What do I learn that I'll use elsewhere?

Edited By GrahamC on 22/07/2015 13:06:41

Like it and I think an interesting twist would be for the "regular" to be shadowed by a competition newcomer and the newcomers experinces to be included in the article.

Did I feel my ears burning? oh yes lol

It is an interesting idea, and i wouldn't mind a go at Peanut scale, but i am in the throes of doing control line scale with a Chipmunk, does that not qualify as branching out? I also did a free flight Mamselle recently but granted that was not in the magazine, after all that's not the area the editor asks me to write about

Cheers

Danny

• 2 months later...

Practical issues I have faced recently and I have trawled the net for answers:

Setups for 25% and 28% models.

Servo selection for 25% and 28% sized models

Battery selection for above models

Battery redundancy for above models (is it necessary?)

Battery regulation for above (is it necessary?)

Different types of batteries to use

The use of IBEC's - I am going to try one in my next project as I like the idea of using the throttle return spring combined with the throttle stop screw for reliable idle.

Methods for fitting engines/cowls in large models..

I know everyone has their preferred methods, but some guidance would be good.

An article(or even several) on selecting a suitable electric motor/ esc/ battery combination for converting a model designed for liquid fuel. It could make some comments on the published specs of so-called budget motors with reference to both the accuracy and the lack of necessary data.

I probably understand electicity more than most having earned my living as an electronics design engineer but, like most of my class mates in the 1960s, I tended to ignore a lot of the stuff about motors and magnetism as it wasn't relevant to what we were doing in real life. So I had to learn about motors almost from scratch and it's been expensive at times when motors didn't really perform as I expected. Fortunately, my employer paid for me to learn about them new-fangled microprofessors when they came out

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

i've mentioned before about one of our club members ...a very nice gentleman with a very distinguished flying career who is now a fellow of the BMFA..Peter Masterman.he sent us a list of the aeroplanes he had flown and also a brief history of his career...i think it would make a facinating read for the mag and its readers.......

peter.jpg

ken anderson...ne..1.. PM.. dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 14/11/2015 19:14:14

• 7 months later...

Hi David and RCM&E.

The Question of reliable fuel proofers and the like for petrol or nitro models is guaranteed to rear its head more than once, it is still not unanimous wherever you search; we have a few threads on this very site and country of origin or brand name doesn't help because my brand is probably branded differently in another country with the same ingredient mix.

Can RCM&E shed some comforting light on this subject? Can we get a chart with types of fuel proofing, what to use over this type of paint including what brand to use in "your" local country whether it be New Zealand, England or Breakmodelstan?

A big ask, I know, but there is a serious discussion with the unknowns and unaware as more model builders enter the fray.

Cheers, from bbc.

Edited By bouncebounce crunch on 03/07/2016 06:03:33

Edited By bouncebounce crunch on 03/07/2016 06:04:57