What products would you like to see reviewed?

Id like to see:

- an overview of alternative trainers, such as Hanger 9, vintage, electric gliders etc as opposed to artf boxes.

- a guide on pit safety, i.e how to prepare, fuel up, start the model etc.I onlt say this as its the biggest headache at a public site.

- See if you can take a novice to A grade by simulator alone.

- A review of british kit manufacturers.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi David, I would like to agree with David on the comment above, I am new to this and still learning with a trainer at my local club, so I would like a review on something which is basic but appears to me, to be important such as a batt checker,I purchased one which was not very expensive, but lasted 5min before the button dropped off, I have now paid more and got myself a Futaba BR-2000 which seems a really good bit of kit,and worth the extra,I know in the last special there was a section on starting your flight box off with equipment, I think it would help new members of this great hobby, if something of the same was done on each item of equipment. Thanks Nigel

David,

regarding the Easyweld you do not need any welding skills to use it! I bought some in the process of building my kit car and while using it immediatly thought of how usefull this stuff would be for the modelling world.

Having been out of the hobby for 15 or so years I have no idea if the product is advertised in any modelling publications, but I can honestly say that it is very easy to use and has a myriad of uses to boot. It will join ali to ali, brass to ali and the quality of the aluminium dosent matter, ie cast, extruded or sheet. You can check it out here :-

http://www.easyweld.com/

It also goes by other names as well although the names escape me at the moment!

Ian

PS I'd never welded anything in my life before using this stuff! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Could we have a little less on electrics please. The latest issue (December) seems to be overflowing with electric articles. I realise that all topics of aeromodelling need to be covered, but I do feel there is an overload in this area. I don't know if my club (North Berks) is typical, but of the 150 members, only about 5% are really into electric power exclusively.

Regards,

Tentpeg. 

Have to agree with Tentpeg...whilst I do dabble in electrics they are only a diversion & my main interest is in ic powered models. As we all know electric models are only there for people who can't operate a ic motor sucessfully (....fnnaarrrr!!!!).

I know electric models have seen a huge increase in popularity but like Tentpeg, my club is mainly ic (albeit with many members "dabbling" in electric)

And there are such a lot of wonderful IC models out there waiting to be reviewed....the Cermark & Great Planes Pitts...Blackhorse Ultimate....those new YT international scale models (Hurri, Spit, Stuka etc) The ARTF twins we see now (Ripmax Harmony & Black Widow plus others).....lots to got at......

Thank you Steve, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Whilst talking of reviews, can anyone on the RCM&E team tell us if there are any 'Almost ready to Cover' models on the market. I seem to remember some Oriental people displaying such wares at 'Wings & Wheels' a few years ago. In the light of the many complaints about low construction standards, it would be interesting to know if there are any Manufacturers/Importers out there who have the courage to let us see what goes on underneath the covers???

Some of the examples that I've read in these columns give real cause for concern and could be very dangerous, if not fatal under certain circumstances.

It would be good to have the option to buy the model, either finished or uncovered at a suitably reduced price.

Regards,

Tentpeg. 

I think YT International do some ARTC models but as you might guess the market is not huge!!!!

Personally I can build pretty well but to cover a model  & get the finish you get on most ARTFs (complete with all the stripes & twiddly bits) is beyond me!!!!

I take your point about some of the dodgy building & lack of glue that gets swept under the Solarfilm though!!!!!

Tentpeg

As Steve says, YT did at one time have an ARTC range, I'm unaware of any other now though.

All points noted gents, thank you. We're very concious of the electric mix and will do out utmost to get the balace right where we can.

YT rarely send in kits to be reviewed (I'd hazzard their import volumes are very modest by comparision with the main trade) although we do have one of their ME109's flown and just awaiting a few more photo's. The builder is also completing a detailling article on the model too.

Just been on the YT International site and it would appear that the only ME 109 that they now do has a glass fuselage and ready covered wings so its another ARTF.

Curses, foiled again!

I think we should challenge the manufacturers and ask if they dare to produce an ARC model, just so we can check the integrity of their structure. Maybe the BMFA would back such a request on safety grounds. It could only serve to raise the standard.

Regards,

Tentpeg. 

A Free Market Capitalist writes...... 

Markets usually respond to what is required....if there were great hordes of modellers beating on the model shop doors demanding ARTCs then I'm sure the manufacturers would respond with products to suit. The fact that there are so few ARTCs around indicates that there simply isn't the demand......

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...