The Futaba FF8-8FG

Stephen I've just downloaded the manual for your T/X the page for setting up a programmable mix is  P74 and the page for ailevator set up is P101. The instructions seem fairly straightforward and similar to the10C that I have.
                          It's virtually impossible to sort this by batting posts back and forward on a forum it being far easier to do than describe. Have you anyone in your local club whose conversant in setting up Futaba gear.   

• 5 months later...
Yeap, it is. Its part of this "virtual channel" concept Futaba go on about. Amazing isn't it! In my view FASST is the "bee's knees"!

The update came out about two months ago but was only being pushed at US customers at first. Has it been launched on the European site now? If so I'll be having a go. I think David Ashby might have done the update already - but not certain.

BEB

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 08/05/2011 15:02:38:
Have heard nothing so far Paul but that's not to say.....

I see Futaba USA have the 8FG Super, which seems to be the standard version with the new software upgrade.

I think this probably is the one due for release mid month, the model shop rang me and suggested I wait as they are waiting for supplies of the 'new version', even though it may just be software related I will wait for the new release.

• 2 weeks later...
I was waiting for the new version of the 8FG to come out as I want to migrate to 2.4Ghz as my 35Mhz is getting on in years. I have just seen one of the shops has the 8FG Super listed and while I do not think its different from the standard 8 apart from that it comes with the 14 channel firmware installed and 'Super' on the front. Now just waiting for the stores to open!

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/05/2011 10:20:23:
I agree - its quite an update though! 8 to 14 channels - albeit "virtual" - wow!

But, a point to consider is maybe you could buy the 8FG (non-super) and do the update yourself from the website. Might save a few bob?

BEB

On Futaba's web site the download is labelled as "Turn your 8FG into the 8FG Super."

And elsewhere "Attention 8FG Owners: Get the upgrade you need to make your system "Super" at NO charge!".

I was tempted by this set myself, if I hadn't made "other plans"

I believe the other minor difference other than the pre installed firmware update and the badges/label is that the slider switches on the sides are slightly longer which I guess will make them slightly easier to move due to the greater leverage, although not used either so cannot comment with authority. As for price, those on the Inwood site seem comparable to the standard 8FG, I guess it would not bee too easy to significantly increase the price on what is effectively the same product with different software that is available free.
Regards

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
I have downloaded the software to my 8FG into a "Super" version.
Can I ask what chanel allocation that the various users on the forum have used for their models as I wish to "Standardize" my setup if possible and am interested in which switches on the transmitter is used for what, before I do do my setup. (ie, flaps, retracts, airbrakes and so on.)
I am mode 2 for fix wing. Thanks.

I use an FF10 but if it's any use, I always use the left hand slider for flaps and airbrakes depending on the model, but if I was into complex gliders I'd need a rethink....

I use the top left 3 position switch to disable electric motors in its "home" and neutral positions and would NEVER vary this between models. Which reminds me that I did resolve to set this as a locked idle psition for my IC models but haven't got round to doing it yet!

I've found having the non latching trainer switch on the top left a bit annoying and might swap it physically with the other side so that I can use it for retracts which I prefer to having it on the right - now it's out of warranty perhaps another job to get round to! Although I understand there was often a wobble visible when Hurricane pilots swapped hands to raise the u/c I don't want to model this every time!

I'm also experimenting with a mix on the right slider to apply limited elevator trim for different flight phases. It's much easier to control than using the conventional digital trim.

• 3 months later...
I've had my 8FG for over 12 months and its fantastic.

Plus features are,

1. it can use clones rx's costing about £24. I have used 4 so far and never had an issue.

2. I use a lipo (2 cell). again never had an issue.

3. It's the best instructor radio I have ever, ever used. I can assign functions and also, I can add corrections (apply a tad of rudder on finals for instance) whilst still allowing the pupil to fly normally and without taking full control back.

The drawbacks are that it took me 3 evenings to get a swashplate mix/setup that I was happy with.

It does feel plasticy (maybe because it's made of plastic?). And my scroll wheel isn't as accurate as it was when the set was newer.

All of the above said, it has done many, many hours and never missed a beat and I would recommend this set if it was going to be used for instruction.

Ian