Are we an ageing hobby?

Advert

67   Come back to it now I'm retired and got time.  Used to work a 6 day week  so didn't have the time or opportunity then. Last model I built, can't remember what it was called but it was a single engine monoplane with a 2ft 6ins wingspan.  I think I flew it on a 3 channel radio.  That was about 50 years ago.  Things have changed a bit since then!  Materials, electronics, building methods, just about everything is different.  I'm now treating myself as a beginner, as to be honest, so much is different, I'm learning all over again!  Timbo and one or two others have been a great help, but I have had to ask so many questions especially about the abbreviations, of which there seem to be so many, almost none of which were heard of 50 yearsago!  But, I'm getting there thanks to very helpful people on these forums..Bless them.  Cheers to all of you who have advised me so far and may do in the future.

Hi my name is Tony Deady age 65 returned to the hobby last year biulding a super 60 with futaba radio .My main interest is i.c vintage .My first modell was a Kiel Kraft soarer baby when i was 8 or 9 years old and tried most branches of the hobby untill i was in my mid 20s.I have now returned after a 40 year rest.

. 67  Tock up old hobby again when pensionist!

Electric;Sport & Semi Scale
Try to utilize the advances in form of 2.4 GHz TX-RX and new materials like Depron, Outrunners and battery technology - quite a challenge!

Rubber, 60 years ago, First rubber powered was an Auster
No doubt that we are an ageing hobby! The computer/electronics age has taken over,
Kids (and adults) want to go strait to the flying - forgotten is how it is to create something...
Ikarus

IC Trainer (Sorry not listed) but only just started!!!

First model free flight IC aged 17 years (It flew, but never came back!) I always promised myself that one day..........well that day has come.

I'm really worried that I am the oldest novice pilot...........please tell me I'm not!

JayCee

Hi, I`m 45 and built a Flair 3Channel Cub 26 years ago and had 2 lessons then put it away. My son (16 years old) Spotted it in the loft and we started flying 4 years ago and still flying today. Now on Semi Scale Warbirds and Aerobatics, mostly IC.
Using a JR2720 35Mhz on Mode 2. My son flies with Spektrum DX6i also Mode 2.
Taught 3 people to start flying and 4 people to fly Warbirds using flaps and retracts last year. Got to more to teach so this year now the weather is getting better.

1:  70
2: ic and electric sport and scaleish - just getting into petrol power
3: Apart from a very brief flirtation as a child  didn't start this until I retired at 55.  After a  cycle accident stopped me from both dinghy sailing and serious long distance cycling. I'm afraid it's still a second best choice.

Hi,

well done to everyone who has responded. I have done some preliminary analysis on the earlier results - with some fairly surprising (to me anyway!) outcomes. I won't spoil the "surprise" by previewing them - you'll just have to wait

I think we will leave the thread open until midnight (UK time) this coming Friday - then I will ask the Mods to close it so I can finalise the analysis. So if you haven't posted yet please try to do so in the next few days - remember the more responses we get, the more accurate the result.

Thanks for all your help!

BEB