New Foamy Wot 4 by Ripmax

DAVID CLIFFORD

Advert

Hi Tam

Nice pictures, still got to get to grips with that myself  Like the idea of fitting GC  3542 motor and upgrading the ESC to 40 amp in fact ordered them today from GC with HiTec 55 servos.

Fortunately had no problems with mine, guess I have just been lucky but I have been caning it a bit lately so have decided to revamp it before something fails, give me something to do these dark evenings

Have you flown yours yet with the 3542? what prop are you using?

What mixes and expo is anyone using on Spetrum outfits - dual rate or not?

Don't use Spectrum I'm a Futaba man  First few flights I reduced the EPA's and used 50% Expo didn't want to loose it first flight, after a few flights the EPA's went back to normal but I still use 50% Expo I've not been flying that long and it help me keep it smooth

JC

Jay-Cee....no, No-one has flown it with the new motor yet, only put it in the other day!!! And yes, the planedid come down without crashing - Bryan was flying.

Doesanybody on here live or fly in the Glasgow or Edinburgh areas, cos we have a great small club (30 members) and looking for more. Its very laid back and about 50% leccy flyers.

I tried to join some therclubs but their rules state: Yes we will give you instruction free BUT we have to do it with nitro panes. Thats not for me, I'm leccy thru and thru....

Byeee guys.........

PS: I'm English but living in Glasgow.......Hoots mon the nooo.....

Hi Tam

Started flying April this year, with IC High wing trainer and Low wing sports, have to admit it was a slow start, came off the Buddy Box quite quickly after about four flights but had my fair share of planes going to the Hangar in the sky!

But things changed when I purchased my first leccy foam models  MX2 followed but the Wot 4 just about small enough to fly in a local field which enabled me to fly on my own several times a week, it's just practice, practice.

I have now converted both my IC planes to electric, once you get the 'Power Train' right the performance is stunning! have to fly those at the club site as they are far to big for the local field also they need the 'Strip' for take of and landing.

Haven't taken my 'A' yet but feel I'm pretty close, may have to wait till Spring though, mind you still loads of flying down here in the SE (Surrey) Enjoy your Wot 4 foam-e, keep the EPA rates down for your first few flights......flies just like a trainer!

JC

Steve Grigg....The FunCub is a different kind of beast thanks to the flaps!!! With a big motor (350+Watts) it could in theory tak offrom a picnic table and then land back on it. When te flaps are deployed at over 100ft. it looks like its coming down in a elevator, and when the wind is over 10mph its possible to hold the plane suspended in flight, push the throttle and off it zooms!!! I wouldn't say its a trainer cos of the ailerons and flaps but  novice could fly it with a qualified instructor next to them. Its nice......

JayCee - whats this formula you have for converting i.c. planes to leccy? I just use the '100W to the lb.' formula plus a bit more (lot more?). Reason I'm asking is that I have a plan-built (RCME plans) Bushwacker nitro plane I need to convert.. What does your formula say when this plane is about 2ib. in weigh? Any help is good hepl......Byeee..... 

Hi Tam

'Timbo' wrote a great article in the Autumn special edition of the RCME mag called 'Rags to Riches' which is a step by step guide to IC - leccy conversion, if you haven't got the mag you can find a digital version here http://www.modelflying.co.uk/members/digitaleditions/popup.asp?t=3&i=938

You can always start a new thread asking for advise in the Electric Flight Forum/Power System Selection

I have now completed three IC/Leccy conversions and I'm pleased with all of them the Power Train is not that difficult I found the hardest part was finding a place for the battery that maintained CG and was easily and quickly accessible, more difficult I found on planes with tricycle undercarriages as the push rod for the steerable nose wheel means access has to be from above, also the the tricycle undercarriage restricts the prop size which reflects on the motor choice.

If you decide to start another thread let me know where it is and I will post pictures of how I have done it, cant do it here as we are going off thread

Jc

Stephen G....You are right, you don't have to use the flaps to get a good flight, but they do make it 'interesting'......its a pity the Wot4 hasn't got flaps!!!!

JayCee....I can't start another thread cos I'm retired and too busy!!! I got more time to myself when I was working. When I got septic arthritis 3 years ago and couldn't walk i was told by wifey I needed a Hobby - now she moans about all the planes in the bedroom and the cost of the sport. But my next door neighbour bought a new fishing rod for £1000.....he daren't tell his wife.
Bye for now.....

I will be fitting these John

New Power XL-9HM 9g Metal Geared Servo

They have been recommended to me by Steve at Kings Lynn Models.
He uses them in combat flyers and said they are a good budget servo.

They might be a bit over the top for the WOT, but I want to start flying without any worry in the back of my mind.

I havent fitted mine yet, after reading some of the posts about failure of servos, ESC and even the odd motor.

I purchased 4 X HS-55 servos, Hobbywing 40amp ESC and a Turnigy C3542 outrunner  with all the intentions of replacing everything, so far they are still sitting on my workbench.

I have obviously been lucky with my Wot 4 I keep a flying log of all my models and the Wot 4 has now completed 54 flights 4 hours + flying time all on the original gear  looking a bit battle worn but I love it, flies like a dream...........you no what they say 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'

JC

Hiya guys....here is the motor I put in my Wot4, from GiantCod. Its a Turnigy clone that goes under the name of XYH, just the same as turnigy just a different name!!!
I was asked by a pal in our E-Mail Club (Badius Boyz) to test some servos. He sent me 10 E-Max 8/9grm servos from Japan free of charge. I put them all in my planes, from FunCub, EasyCub, SlowSticks etc etc......and not one has let me down. They don't 'chatter', vibrate etc. And now they are sold at Robotbirds. The standard one is about 3£.50, Digital is £4.50 and the metal geared version £5 - they are the best I have ever used.
I'm using a no-name ESC of 40A until my new one arrives which is 50A and programmable

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 01/12/2010 13:04:59

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Allan Bowker on 08/12/2010 16:22:23:
Happy to report that FedEx delivered my replacement 'WOT' & 'New Power XL-9HM' metal geared servo's today.
Haven't had chance to open the box yet but an update will be upcoming.

Glad to hear it.  Hope it will be all OK now

I haven't heard from Pegasus Models at all, I think a registered letter to Ripmax is in order now.