Trainers

Stephen  Harrison

I have only being flying for just over a year now and have passed my 'A' certificate. I used the thunder Tiger trainer 40 (the old one- traditional balsa) not so keen on the new one as it made from ABS plastic. A member up my club flew on many occasions but the sun attacked the plastic and when he landed it, it split into hundreds of pieces (no not a crash) I also used a TT42 GP engine for power and this was very good. The only problem i had was getting it to run for the first time as it as a bit tight but after it was fine. For radio the futaba 6EXA was used and for price you can't knock it. this was basic set up and it got me through my 'A' and now has a TT46 up front and bigger flaps and is a great stunt plane.

Advert

No i'm not going to sell it as it has being repaired after falling over in the house and breaking the tail. For christmas I had a TT46 ballraced engine which is a fantastic bit for kit and at great value. I have upped the rates and added EXPO along with bigger flaps and it flies very well and now does stall turns and knife edges - the 42 hadn't quite got enough power. I also use it on very windy days when i want to fly but don't want to ruin any of my mainplanes - hanger 9 ultrastick and my trainer can do all the things it can appart from vertical climb. my trainer has a name to go with it 'Trainer From HELL!' as it is always flying and it is put through it's paces. My Ultrastick is called 'the STUKA' as when it goes into vertical decent it whistles and at the last minute pull out 10ft of the floor - but i have great fun flying

Hi, I have just joined the site and am "looking around". I have a re-kindled my interest in rc flying and have taken the plunge and bought a Irvine tutor 40 trainer and all the other bits and pieces. (Currently half way through assembling it!) I have found a club to join and can't wait to have a go and start learning. My last experience, a glider, ended up spead all over Butser Hill (Hampshire) in a million pieces! This time I will have an instructor.

I passed my 'A; last year in July and it was on my 20th flight. I'll never forget it as my engine kept stalling and would not start but in the end I got it up in some windy conditions and to my surprise passed. this year I am aiming for my 'B' but my TT trainer is still a regular flyer.

Out of curiosity i wondered if you had any problems with you firewall as mine only had a seem of glue down the one side and the rest was dry. afer a couple of flights i had about 7 degrees of side thrust. took it home and it fell out in my hand so i made my own and added extra strength and it won't fall of know (done in epoxy ha ha ha)

I didn't start RC flying until six years ago, at the age of 52, and was lucky to have the Tiger Trainer 40 recommended by my local model shop. The flat-bottomed wing makes it very stable and forgiving and it flies well at all speeds on an OS46LA, plus it looks more like a full-size aeroplane than many trainers. Unfortunately, through 'finger trouble', I crashed my first one, but now have three and enjoy flying them more than ever. I'll never be a hot-shot pilot, but I enjoy flying as near scale as I can. The firewall is normally strengthened with tri-angular balsa fillets, so it looks like you had a 'Friday' model. All four of mine were well built, with no poor glue joints.

oh well, it is just one of those things that happens but i am glad i found it on the floor rather than find out when the engine falls from the sky a potentially destroying my model. It still goes strong and as you say are a pleasure to fly with it's stable and forgiving flying characteristics. the only thing I have found they don't very well is inverted flight due to the dihedral in the wing but never the less it's a great plane

I'm a slow learner, been flying without buddy leads for a couple of seasons, can only fly once a month though, so progress is not rapid.

I am very pleased with my Jumper 25 (Seagull) with an OS25 engine. I must admit that I bought it because it was small enough to fit in the car without developing car-rash on the way to and from the strip, as did my first plane a Kyosho trainer with an OS40 that was ultimately attracted to a tree magnet.
The Jumper is light and lively and will do the simple aerobatics that I wish to master, including inverted flying. I have modified it by turning it into a tail dragger, and it leaps into the air from our grass runway in about 15 feet, long before reaching the molehills and rabbit holes that interfere with others' take offs.
It floats in gently with the engine ticking over after 15 minute flights.

Compo

• 2 weeks later...
Well, my tutor 40 is assembled, looks good and I have run the engine in, it started first swing and purred like a good one. I was well impressed! So far the weather has been too rough (high winds) to fly it but I think this week end might be OK, I am really looking forward to seeing it fly, and having a go, I am really nervous about it though. I am based in Germany and the club I have joined has been really welcoming, I just hope that there will be no problem with the language when I am learning, so far its been good, but when things get tense, it could get interesting.

I have to endorse most of the others comments here, after returning to R/C flying after a 20year break the TT40 with the TT GP42 engine took me through my A test in just under a year.
A lovely aircraft to look at with a "proper" cowling and shaped upper decking.Definitely one of the most forgiving and "prettiest" trainers on the strip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
After being too impatient waiting for the older guys in the club to teach me and 'bin-bagging' two trainers ( seagull arising star & cessna ) I went electric. I bought a Parkzone Cub and that was just the job...it almost flew itself!! The much slower speeds etc gave me more time to sort things out without the expensive and inevitable crunches. After a couple of months I was ready to go back to 'proper' aircraft with much more confidence.

Taught myself on a single channel jobby - can't remember what but a DB Tern (?) featured early on. Progress was painfully slow - although I got lots of practice at repairing stuff !

Came on in leaps and bounds when some kindly souls taught me to slope soar off the Gower Peninsula. After that it was pretty easy to reach a decent level of incompetence.

GG