Kyosho Calmota 40 Trainer Question?

Rookie

Hi all, i am looking to buy the above Trainer as reviewed in this months RCM&E and i am looking for advice as to what i need.

I have made a short list but want your opinino's on the parts i've chosen as well as parts you suggest instead and any parts i am missing.

BMFA membership.
Irvine 46ABC for the power plant.
Spektrum AR6200 DSM2 6Ch Ultra Lite Receiver (i have a DX6i)
4 x Spektrum 6.0 Gram Super Sub-Micro Digital Prog Servo
Flight box
Electric starter and Glow plug.

I was looking up the battery pack that the reviewer commented on (Sanyo 2000 Eneloop Battery), but this is the first time of assembling a RC plane and i want to make sure i do not purchase inferior parts and compromise flights.

One last thing, i am in Bolton and as i have no access to a car i am unable to get to my nearest club (Blackpool/Blackburn...30 mins each way by car) so i am going to have to learn to fly solo.

I do have Phonex Flight simulator and have been practising flying (to learn orientation of aircraft) for the last couple of months and really want to take the next step in Planes and get one myself.

Advert

hi Rookie,

I'll let someone more familar with Specky kit comment on the radio gear in detail, but one quick thought is the servos sound a bit small and expensive? A trainer like this will fly well with standard size, non digital, servos - likely to be much cheaper I'm thinking, for little discernable loss in performance on a trainer. As I say I'm not overly familar with Specktrum servos so maybe someone else would like to comment on that.

I can comment on learning to fly! It is possible to learn to fly alone - but I think it is also very difficult/potentially expensive! Simulators are very helpful, but there is a limit to what you can learn off them. I think my advice would be if you have to "go it alone" really take your time and keep it simple. Just build up slowly. Start by just flying circuits and being happy if you can take-off straight and land in one piece! Then slowly build it up.

If  you can - try and get a mate who can fly to be with you for at least the first couple of flights. He can maiden the plane for you and trim it out. That will make things easier. He can also see you through those first nevous flights!

If that is not possible then one thing you might like to consider - if funds allow - is booking yourself a one/two day session with a pro instructor. Several advertise in RCM&E. You might find that the money is well spent in ultimately saving you some expensive repairs as at least you would learn the basics.

Wishing you the best of luck - and enjoy your flying!

BEB

Thanks guys for your quick replies.

Eneloop....can anyone provide a link to the pack i need, when i search all i can find are AA batteries where as i assume you need a battery pack.

With regard to going it alone....i wish i had someone who was able to fly model planes so they could assist me in assembling the plane and i could learn more about building as i go....as well as take her up for her maiden voyage (i have visions of the plane attempting to roll to one side on take off and becoming a pile of wood), but i have onle been here a couple of weeks and dont know anyone here yet.

Servo's - standard sized, mid range it is , flight box - roger that, i do not ride a motorcycle so thats that one out the way.
I appreciate joining a club is cheaper and would save me money, but i dont have the money for a car....yes i could use the £500 for a car instead of a plane, but that would defeat the object of getting a car as i'd only use it to go out flying .

I'll take a look into tuition, but like i say i only have about 500 squid to spare.

oh and thanks Lazy....how could i forget fuel

thanks again guys....please post anything you feel may be important...or not as it all helps.

P.S. if there is anyone reading this thread who lives in bolton and wouldn't mind assisting me with assembly when i get her....or even just to maiden vouage her, i'd appreciate it.

Posted by Phil B on 08/05/2010 00:34:50:
if you are going it alone it may be better to start with an easy star or v trainer.

a 40 size IC trainer is hard to fly without any instruction at all. you will almost certainly crash it

I agree.... you really should re-consider this approach.
Despite time on the Sim - I assure you that the real thing is very different.
You would have been fine with standard analogue servos, and also the cheaper 5 channel AR500 receiver.
I STRONGLY advise you to start with something else...I know its more money, but the radio gear cna be transferred between models, and n the longer run it will cost LESS.
For a few quid, you should have your very first flights on something like THIS...it will teach you no end of basics, and will survive the crash that WILL occur very quickly.

Where exactly do you plan on flying this IC powered undercarriage equipped semi controlled missile ?

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 08/05/2010 05:53:59

Rookie,

Please please please listen to Phil B and Timbo. There is no quicker way to fail at this hobby than buying all the gear and crashing on the first flight. An I/C trainer is quite fragile compared to what Timbo is  suggesting and it will suffer significant damage in all but the most minor of incidents.

Sorry for the serious warning the most important thing is to have fun and there is so much fun available in this hobby it is never ending.

Good luck

I will be using a massive field for my flying with my brother-in-law and wife both spotting for people, pets etc so i dont have to do that as well as fly.

I will fully listen to you guys and as suggested i will be buying the V Trainer because although i really want something that i can fly, i also want to be able to fly it lol, nothing more depressing than paying £400 on a model just to crash on take off.

I cant wait to get the V trainer.
Thanks guys and please feel free to post anything you feel would be of any help.

Hi Rookie,I started in a field a couple of years ago and after the first model flew into a tree(they move you know,the next 1 went off on its own never to be seen again.The 3rd a Multiplex Easy Stae did 3 turns waved a wing as it passed me and I found it 7 days later.I think my main problem was lack of power in the motors of my trainers and trying to fly them in to strong a wind,so they took off, ilet them get yto far down wind and with little power they coulne get back.Make sure yo start in a very low wind,every little helps

Hi Rookie,
Do try to get experienced help....Let me prove this by telling you how to take off.

Before you even consider this, the aircraft must be tip top. Engine absolutely reliable (what do you do if it stops on take off)  No warps or twists in the airframe, or it will be all over the place. Radio bomb proof, All moving bits free, and with neutral absolutely correct. Deflections also correct, and all linkages sound. and it must must balance at the correct point

Now, assuming all this is spot on and the aircraft is sitting ready to go (dead into wind)
If its a tailwheel job, you need some up elevator to stop a noseover. As you start to move, you must also use rudder to keep tracking straight ( it will want to turn because of the effect of the propeller) So now you've got elevator, rudder, and throttle all to keep just right. Now you need to judge when you are getting up to flying speed. When it's right, you can ease off on the elevator, maybe add a tad of up, and you are off. Now you have to learn to fly in about one nanosecond (It took me about a year)
All this is not meant to be instructions, but an illustration of  how difficult it is

It really is enormous fun, so don't let us put you off, but your chances off success alone are really low

ernie

Hi Rookie

Firstly welcome to fixed wing RC flying.

I have a Calmato 40 Trainer with Irvine .46 I just use basic analogue servos (Futaba S3003). The plane is great, very well made. Mine flew like a dream with very little trimming and with a .46 engine is quite capable of some basic stunts.

That's the good news!  But I do agree with the comments made by others unless you are very fortunate you will damage your plane without some help.

I have been flying now for about two months (about ten flights) and I am just at the stage of taking off and landing! even then not always on the strip! I also had a Phoenix flight sim, they are very helpful for trying out new moves but believe me it's not like the real thing.

Have you tried contacting your local club and explaining your dilemma most clubs are very friendly and helpful, maybe a local member lives close by and would give you a lift or meet you at your local flying field to get you started!

Best of luck keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

JC

Very good tips guys and they are much appreciated....JayCee that is a fantastic idea, i shall call my local clubs as soon as i know i'll have the money to purchase a model and see if they can come up with a solution to my dilemma (before i even spend a penny), i dont even mind paying half the fuel cost if someone is local and doesn't mind picking and dropping me off.

I'll keep you all posted and thanks again. 

Rookie,

Some great advice already here from very experienced flyers.

I just thought i would tell you how i started because i think if you fly and fail first time, i believe this could put you off for life so we just want you to start in the right direction and continue onwards.

I am 32, i have quite a large bit of aviation experience and i also have an average understanding of aerodynamics and flight procedures. I mention this as i do think this helps a learner massively because if you know how a real aircraft works/flys/behaves then half the battle is won as models are essentially just scaled down real aircraft.
I also mention my age as (I am sure the more mature members won't mind) i do think that younger people coming into the hobby do pick the controller up and feel a little more confident with it due to the playstation generation etc...

I bought a Hangar9 Alpha 40 for my first plane, very similar to yours and on advice from guys on here, the first thing i did was meticuously build it to what i thought was suitable!!
I then had one 1 hour lesson with a proper instructor which did cost a bit but was in my opinion invaluable. We didn't use my plane so crashing wasn't really an issue for me and after this session i was landing and taking off on my own.
I then spent one more lesson which literally consisted of me just taking my first aircraft and them looking it over, checking it and setting it up properly. I thought it was suitable but after this session, i was very much mistaken!!
After the instructor had pointed out so many little things which could have turned into a big thing, he then took it flying and trimmed it out for me and it flew beautifully.

The next flight i had was then totally on my own. My legs were shaking, i was so nervous but no big dramas at all. This WOULD NOT have been the case if it wasn't set-up properly by an expert.
Since then, i have built/flown and continued to learn all on my own, so i suppose in a way i have learnt on my own, but the point i am trying to make and making a right hash at it, is that if you just buy a plane, take it to a field and expect it to fly without incident i think you might be upset!!

Even if it is just advice from experts from this forum, take note of it and good luck. 

hello rookie-i've just come across your thread here-please don't attempt to have a go on your own - it'll end in ...it wont make any difference if your family are acting as lookout's for you - or you have a massive field etc......these thing's can kill people instantly...little people even more so(kid's)...the correct way to go about things is find like minded people and join in with them(club)...start off on the right foot and you will progress better/quicker...and will save some of your dosh.......hope i dont sound like a prophet of doom...but reading your first post...set of the alarm bell's........get as much info as you can from here(forum)mag's,internet ect.....

have fun............ken anderson.... ne 1...

Thank you Ross for the great insight, i plan on trying to get to a club if there are any members local to me that can assist with a lift, or at best have a member who is able to go to assist me in the assembly and then we may be able to go to a local field and give her the maiden voyage and me some help with flying.

If that is not possible i shall purchase a V trainer and the Calmota 40 and will only use the V trainer till i am able to fly and land without incidents, then i shall take my assembled Calmota to my local model shop and pay for it to be set up properly and make sure it is as should be.

Edited By Rookie on 08/05/2010 19:14:45

Wow Ross

Taking off and landing after one lesson, that is impressive! I guess it's the age thing I didn't start flying until I had retired and thought I was doing quite well after ten short flights.

So long as you enjoy it that's the main thing I have set a target of getting my 'A'  before the end of summer if I can do that I will be happy, I have four more models waiting their first flight but need to nail that Trainer first!

JC

Thanks Jaycee,

I had flown electric Heli's for a while before which i think helped with the comfort factor associated with RC, and i forgot to add that the instructor always had control of the rudder.
I didn't say the landings were good, just like learning to drive a car, bunny hopping springs to mind. ha ha.

It takes us a bit longer but we catch the youngsters up in the end..I passed my A June last year and youll be amazed how you progress after that.The fact you fly unaided releases you ans suddenly your getting so much stick time it starts to come together.You still get that model that every landing is an arrival,but practise helps.Ive at last figured out landing my Harmon rocket,and I built that christmas Day.Ive been landing it to fast,and the last couple of evenings with no wind Ive  cracked it.

Hi Stephen

Thanks that gives me a bit of confidence.

Had a bit of a forced break mainly due to the weather, flew yesterday first time in three weeks.......not good...... for the first three of four minutes I was all over the place but then settled down and was able to make some low lever passes over the strip and eventually land...not pretty but without damage.

I may have mentioned before our flying site is on the North Downs always very windy and to make matters worse our one and only 'Strip' is E-W and the winds have been predominantly N or NE which means we have a 10MPH plus across the strip most of the time.

Anyway determined to keep at it, hopefully if the weather improves I should get more 'Stick' time.

JC

Posted by JayCee on 14/05/2010 06:57:18
I may have mentioned before our flying site is on the North Downs always very windy and to make matters worse our one and only 'Strip' is E-W and the winds have been predominantly N or NE which means we have a 10MPH plus across the strip most of the time.

The wind direction will change.  The prevailing wind is supposed to be from the West,  though for much of last summer it was from the South!  

Anyway, we're stuck with our E-W strip (it's actually more like ESE-WNW) the consolation is that when you get used to coping with a crosswind you won't have problems if you fly somewhere else with a crosswind strip.