Subscription freebee "RC Plane Master" simulator.

Rick Devonshire

I bought one years ago and found it very easy to install. The only problem I had was sorting out the controls to work as I have my ordinary transmitters set up. It wasn't difficult, just me that is somewhat inept when it comes to doing anything slightly different on a PC other than look at the forum and use a word procesor program.

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...
My one turned out to be the wrong mode, and apparently you can't change it. It's not like a real Tx. I installed it to give it a try but couldn't get the hang of having the controls on the wrong sticks. My virus checker also warned that the software installs a keystroke logger, which you wouldn't really want on any computer you do online transactions from. So now I have uninstalled the software and everything's back in the box.

One thing I would say is to follow the Tx setup instructions completely, particularly with regard to operating the controls through their full range once you've assigned the channels as you want them to be. The software needs to "learn" where the full-scale delections are and pro-rate the stick movements accordinly.

Tony.

Tony,

That news about the keystroke logger is more than a bit disconcerting.

Hopefully my security software has at least neutralised it if not removed it completely. To the best of my knowledge, nothing untoward has ever happened, but I don't make online purchases as a rule, nor do I look at any bank or credit card accounts.

I would be interested to know how to check if the key logger is still present - a full scan hasn't shown anythiing amiss.

Malcolm

Malcolm,
Maybe I'm just being overly cautious, I don't think there's anything sinister about this. I imagine the keystroke logger is installed so that the software can deal with commands entered at the keyboard, and I see there seem to be a lot of those that you can use. I did a websearch on it and didn't find any bad reports about it, but since I couldn't use the simulator anyway I preferred to remove the software completely.

If your AV software is up to date I expect it is protecting you satisfactorily. I use Kaspersky on this PC and it just flagged it up as a warning, it didn't seem to think it needed to be quarantined.

The guys at CML may be able to provide you with better information.

Tony

I used Planemaster 4 or 5 years ago when I was just getting back into modelling and thought it was fantastic value for money, and not bad either. I have other simulators now but I would highly recomend Planemaster.

The original Tx I got with mine was fairly easily switched from mode 1 to 2 and back, perhaps easily is not the word, but I managed okay. I did hear that they were using a new USB Tx perhaps thats more restrictive?

Cheers
Danny

key stroke logger warning.
I have emailed CML the supplier but have had NO response form them so am thinking of repeating the email.
I am running the program in 'sandbag' mode, a facility provided by Kasperski which I am told will offer protection from sofware you are unsure of.

I have had Kasperski scan the disk for problems but Kasperski declared it clean, likewise with the short cut on the desk top.

I have not yet been able to get all control functions to work properly and think some of the potentiometer wipers may nt be making contact properly. 
Rick.

Rick
I know what you mean about potentiometers .A while back I put out an SOS on a thread as to why my Tx provided (not my own gear) couldn't be made to function on the ailerons after changing from windows XP to their newer Vista thingy (I think it is called ) not knowing what the problem could have been at the time . I've cleaned the pots ,thought about replacing the aileron one ,but at the end of the day ,unless I want to press down buttons to "fly" I have given up

I also got got the freebee RC plane master with my subscription, and could not understand where the key stroke logger came from when it's flagged by Kasperski anti virus software.    Thanks guys.   Is there a problem with other anti virus programs?
(ie Norton and McAree, etc)

Tony,

I thought about it after I had posted last night, and realised that there had to be some sort of key logger as the system can be operated from the keyboard. Having realised this, I have no further worries - especially as my security software is very good at picking up anything which is the least bit "dodgy".-Even some of my regular email contacts are sometimes listed as Spam if the message includes "doubtful" words.

Malcolm

Thanks Tony,

I wasn't particularly worried as I have faith in my anti virus software, but your comment about the key logger made me think that there just might be a problem.

As it is, any fear was really unfounded when you think about what is involved with such a program. I suppose the same sort of thing would show up with the free FMS system as that too uses keyboard controls and I never worried about that when I used it for a short time before getting the Planemaster.

Rick really helped - I would never have thought of asking the supplier.

Malcolm

• 5 months later...
One shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, they say, but not being very interested in flying egg-beaters, I must admit I was a bit disappointed when my RCM&E subscription gift turned out to be a 'Helimaster', i.e. a helicopters only system. If anyone is in the opposite position, with an unwanted fixed-wing system, and not too far from Godalming, Surrey, maybe we could do a swap.

It is easy to install and use, and a very good sim.

I haven't used mine, I wanted it for use at work, unfortunately the people who sent it out didn't finish year 2,   RC Heli Master  does not equal RC Plane Master, not having that much interest in helicopters, it isn't much use to me!

The only thing I didn't like about planemaster was that I move my flying position to be half way down the runway, but it didn't seem to remember that, so you have to move every session.

Had no problems using it either with the box supplied, or a cheap USB adapter with a proper TX.

Very good software for the price, probably the best value for money of any of them.

I have an earlier version, which I ran on Windows 98SE, which worked well.

About a year ago I changed to Windows 7. The original software would not run on the new machine and operating system. I have been unable to obtain any advice of how to make it run or purchase an upgrade.

When ever I ask if the version now marketed will run on Windows 7, the replies have been non committal. I would buy a Widows 7 compatible version. It is good enough for me. Maybe not the best.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've just installed my RC Plane Master (RCM&E subscription gift) on Windows 7 Home Premium with no problems. Kaspersky does warn of a keylogger but you know what's being installed, so it's acceptable. There is some flickering on the controller calibration screen, and sometimes on the model selection screen, but this doesn't stop it from working. Can be configured for Mode 4 TX quite easily (which everyone should use )

I've also downloaded the extra models from the website, and am now having a ball slope soaring the gliders. What a fabulously realistic soaring simulation.

Select the Super Slick glider, dial in a 30mph blow with a touch of turbulence, and you'll think you really are on the fell with your eyes streaming!  The only problem is the limited number of hill-top launch sites available. It's best to fly a power model to the hill-top and land, then press F8 to set a Custom Start Point which then appears in your list of launch sites.

I also set myself a target of starting from a flat field catapult launch with the Slick glider, then dashing to the foothills to pick up some lift to ascend to one of the mountain tops. A few minutes' ridge soaring as far as I can go, then return and try to land back at the launch site.  The Grassy Bowl and Lonely Mountain landscapes are ideal for this, although the Muddy Volcano is also possible, but avoid the vicious curl-over at the lip.

I've been attempting some DS, but not managed it yet , but then I've never tried it for real.

Well done, Reality Craft.

Edited By Steve Houghton on 17/01/2011 13:25:49

I have never managed to find or download the extra planes, and have not received a reply to my questions from RealityCraft.

Tried to register again today, and now it tells me the CD key is invalid.

Pity I didn't get the right free gift, (they sent helimaster instead of plane master) that CD key may have worked.

Erfolg,

On Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit I just followed the usual procedure, via the installation wizard. I installed under my Admin user this weekend.

Steve W-O,
To find the extra planes you need to create a user account from the 'Simulators' page, which you seem to be having trouble with. If you can get an account, then when you login it takes you to a page containing all the extra downloads. If you can't get an account, I'm sorry but I can't help.