World Cup

Jonathan Lewzey

It annoys me that people turn their nose up at patriotism and the St Georges flags on display.
As a nation, England celebrates St Patricks day, and we'll enjoy a good old drink on Burns night and St Andrews day but I bet you half the nation couldn't even tell you when St Georges day is !

I'm not  openly patriotic but I certainly don't frown at people who are, I'm also not a footballist, I only watch the game when England play but that's me supporting my country.

Oh and I agree on those "blasted" air horns, I turn the tv down and listen to music whilst I watch

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 14/06/2010 18:50:34

Advert

Dont get me started, As far as the players earnings go it dont bother me , St Georges cross flags are great , The mess caused by people drinking themselves into a stupor and needing me and my collegues to come and sort out thier troubles does really wind me up.
I along with many other members of the emergency services have just had a long weekend of being vomitted on abused and generally wound up by drunk " football fans".
On one job it took two police officers to hold the patient down while I administered treatment in the back of a mobile ambulance.
Roll on the finals then it will be all over !................

The sooner we get kicked out of the World Cup, the sooner we can return to some semblance of reality.
Well done Lewis Hamilton by the way. One sport we seem to be doing well at but gets very little attention, whereas we are no good at football but it's all over the papers.

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 14/06/2010 21:34:17

don't tell me its much different to any other weekend !!!!!!   because it prob aint, don't blame football for people being unable to drink and behave themselves, are you going to blame the sun for coming out when people go to the pub and drink vast amounts because its nice weather, people use it as an excuse to go out and drink stupid amounts they can't handle it has nothing to do with football (or any other sport) sadly its the society we live in that kids are brought up thinking its cool to get wasted every weekend 

I agree , lewis and Jensen really know how to fly the flag for Britain . Nice drive gents...I got to see the highlights and thought that Schumacher should really go to specsavers .
In reply to lee's comment ,we do get the drunkeness most weekends but not to the scale that we do when there is a big footie match on.Unfortunatley it is always the few who can't control themselves and spoil it for the rest of us.
Thanks for the supportive comments chaps.

To some extent I am not surprised that many modellers are not Footballs Fans.  To a large extent it is a team game, where as we are generally singular in most aspects of our hobby.

It is a paradox, that Motor Racing is at face value an individualistic sport, but in reality is very team dependant. I suspect it is the individual aspect which appeals to us modellers. For excitement give me Motor Cycle Racing any day.

With respect to football, some psychologists have suggested that there is a connection to national collective character and the national team character. If this is true it suggests that Holland has perhaps, flair with a wish to enjoy playing with a degree of flourish. The Germans apparently work as a team, with a high degree of mutual understanding and a believe that the game is not lost to the final whistle. The USA seem to know what has to be done, and have the will to do it. At present I am not sure what it says about us, we certainly have some very talented players. These range from Rooney, Lampard,Gerrard, Wright-Phillips, Ferdinand, et al, all great players. We somehow lack synergy and that, never say die ethos of Manchester United and Liverpool (in the past perhaps?).

As for those who suggest that Samuel Johnson saying of "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" , really should consider the context it was reportedly meant. Many find satisfaction in South Africa in forming a national pride, how can it be wrong for others to have pride in their own nationalities? 

Although our team may be well paid, I would not wish to be in their shoes on Friday.

The pressure of expectation being so very high, intensified by the USA result. Failure having unthinkable consequences to the futures of any singled out as culpable.

Hoping for the best. My positive thought is the UK does well, when shaken out of any complacency , with the void beckoning in front  So forward and  cry, England and St George!

I really don't understand the media obsession with footie. I mean England won the cricket world cup and does very well at F1 racing (2 recent world champions) yet all we hear about on TV is footie. I was staggered to read that Fabio Capello gets paid £6M/year! For that I expect him to win every game on his own! All the hype has raised  expectations that the England team will bring home the cup. I don't think so but if they did it may cheer everyone up for a while. The best sport TV I watched was the IOM TT on ITV4, fantastic. Ian Hutchinson doing a 130mph lap thats another English triumph we don't hear about. Footie, Bah!

The comparison of football with F1 Motor Racing, is quite interesting.

With football almost every male with have played football, as a child through to youth. Some will have continued through therir teens. In some countries many females also play football.

The game can and is played with your children and grandchildren. It can be played almost anywhere.

With football skill is required, yet those with quite unexceptional skills can also find enjoyment.  It is a game which encourages team work and that team work can be seen to provide positive benefits. It is not necessary to spend a lot of money to play or compared to F1 to spectate. Above all the game is continuous with many opportunities to determine the outcome.

On the other hand motor sport as a participant is seldom experienced by most of us. F1 is by and large processional. Most children find spectating at motor sport boring. Attendance cost is prohibitively expensive, even compared to the Premier League. Most of the time the driver is never seen, just a blur is observed at about every 3-4 minutes.

As a nation we very good at the technical aspects of F1 and deserves our support for earning a lot of money for the UK.

The sums of money earned? by Fabio, are chicken feed to F1 managers, drivers and the cost of getting a mediocre car to the grid1, well I am speechless (well nearly).

As a youth we played cricket in summer, even then, we would be shooed away if near to property, it was the fear of damage to property. Plus a cork ball can do a lot of damage to the person.

I never see any one playing cricket these days, very occasionally on the beach. Is it the current lack of open spaces, or schools concerned in case pupils are hurt? who knows? 

Above all football and cricket are about working as a team, learning about interacting with others. There is another interesting aspect of football, where you learn to live with decisions, which may be wrong, yet without that authority a satisfactory game is not achievable.

I don't think it was a q of pro and anti

One team, who should have been the underdogs, played very well. The other, who should have had the game easily within their grasp, played like drains

The commentary reflected that reality

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 17/06/2010 21:01:43:
I don't know what channel you're on in France but over here I don't think I've ever heard such pro Mexican / anti- French commentary in my life on the BBC

probably cos the french didn't look bothered. really should have sorted out their problems before the world cup.

mexicans were quite good i thought LOL at the penalty taker's extra long run up

Erfolg, a sport doesn't have to be 'accessible' to capture the imagination. I'll never drive an F1 car or ride a 130mph TT lap but I'd rather watch those things than footie. Best of all I like to do something, flying a model plane beats the hell out of sitting in a chair in front of the TV. Is Capello worth the money? If he got England the cup then maybe but on the showing of last Saturday I don't think so. F1 drivers and team managers have to win consistently over a long season in a highly competitive sport, and the top ones do. The game of footie itself is ok, I just don't like all the hype or the presumption in our media that wer'e all footie mad. As for the so called supporters, words fail me! If I see another idiot blowing a plastic trumpet or bawling ENGERLAND!! I'll throw something at the telly.

I have to agree with ya, Buster, re sitting in an arm chair watching cars go round andd round and round, here in Aus we have the "Bathurst 500" in which it is a contest (nowdays) between Ford and GMH, they race around a track  approx 4km, up, down and around a hill, named by which name, yep you got it Bathurst hill, it goes for around 6hrs, round and round and rou........................round, ABSULUTLY BORING... nope, but it's an Aussie Icon, it has been running every year, since I was16, that i can remeber,
as for the world game, yep another round and round and......
Participation is what the youth need, not watching,..... going round.and.....
B  

Edited By A.A. Barry on 18/06/2010 11:41:42