Airspeed Courier

Tim Hooper

Advert

Thanks for the feedback gents!

More progres this morning.  I've covered the nose in dark red Solartrim, and fitted the similarly draped cowl (spot-glued with thick CA)
  Then a couple of detail shots of the interior of the cabin.  The front of the cell pack fits into an shallow box, and the rear end is held to the battery tray with a splodge of Velcro.

The UBEC and Rx are fitted to the side of the fuselage.

At the tail the rudder is ntrolled via a closed loop.

....and the elevator is wiggled via a wire snake.  No clevises or nylon horns were harmed during this build.

I wasn't content with the covering job I'd made on the wing fairings, so I've re-done those, and then moved onto the redstripe that runs along the side.  Doesn't look too shabby really!

Ton,

I tend to shy away from chemical-based finishes these days- not for any specific reason, but just because I'm lazy!

Netty has been kind enough to print out the 'Airspeed Courier' logo that you can see on the side of the full-sized fuselage.  She's done it in mirror image (using MS WordArt) on  the reverse side of a piece of silver Solartrim.  I'm now partway through cutting out the individual letters, prior to affixing them.  No pics yet though, the bright sunshine in the workshop is leaving harsh shadows everywhere.

Besides which, I have full-blown 'man flu - a debilitating and severe illness with symptons ranging from sulking petulently all the way to stamping my feet if argued with.....

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 08/12/2010 12:54:02

Afternoon Tim, you are making a fantastic job of this,it`s lookin` really good.Get some Beechams  down you and fight through it!!!

Mornin' all!

Had some intensive liquid therapy yesterday evening, and I have to say that I'm feeling much better this morning!

The weather is bright and sunny, with a light (albeit cold) breeze.  Now all I need is for the strip to be clear of snow......

In the meantime, I'll carry on with the model.

tim

I know just what you mean Peter, its down to 27C here midday, and the weekend low is forecast for 13degrees Cee! Darn near cracking the flags with frost! I had to put on a pullover while camping in the dunes last weekend.

Anyway, enough of my woes, lets have some progress snaps Tim!
sparks

Peter,

Netty seems determined to dose me up with the entire contents of her secret stash of potions.  She thinks I'm less trouble when medicated.......

Sparks,

My heart bleeds for you.  Really.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of this mornings hacking.  OK, so it's not professional, but t'is a thing all mine own.........

tim

The little 'legs' on the letters aid positioning and orientation.

As long as I don't fly it too close, nobody will notice, right?

Marc,

It's actually done in Busorama font, and is the closest we could see to the lettering on the original Courier.

Anyway, we took the almost finished model to the field this morning in the hope of getting a test flight, but the gusty breeze persuaded us to get back in the car and come home again!

tim

So we waited.  And we waited.....

Ace lensman, Bob Kemp, turned up with his super-whizzy camera/lens combo, and the fog started to lift a little, so there were no excuses not to have a go!

Virtually no breeze, so I taxied the Courier out onto the long strip, and then steadily opened the throttle.  The model accelerated for 20 yards or so, then a pinch of up elevator saw her leave the ground and head upwards in a steadily climb - as straight as a die!

In the first few seconds of a maiden flight, you can generally tell if a model is going to be a good'un, and the Courier felt absolutely right from the word go.  No trim adjustments needed either.

Todays single flight consisted of low/slow flypasts for the camera, climbouts and turns in both directions.  Although I haven't explored the edges of the models limits at all, it really does seem to be viceless.   No hint of a tipstall at low speeds either.

The undercart retracted as it should, and caused little or no trim change on the elevator.  Power is more than ample as the 45° climbouts attest.

After several minutes I called a landing and approached the strip from the South, chopping the throttle as the Courier passed the threshold at around 10 feet altitude.  The Courier just floated past and then landed itself some yards away.

Anyway, here are some shots that Bob took during the maiden.  Enjoy!

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 12/12/2010 16:11:01