What are/were your 3 favourite models so far this year?

2007 still has some way to go but we were wondering what your three favourite models have been so far this year? Tell us why as well! If I can kick things off I'd say

1.Sebart Katana - so light, attractive and easy to fly yet so very capable.

2. Seagull Decathlon - Good looking, cheap, flies very well.

3. Sig Smith Mini Plane - my first bipe'

The models you select don't have to be new for 2007, you may have had them for years. So what are your top 3?

David.

Advert

Dont know in honesty David, this year I have been consumed with sorting out my existing fleet, and besides, MOST of the stuff wheeled out to the great British public is noty my bag really..... 3D is not for me, and one shoulder wing aerobatic is much like the next. I have only bought 1 model in the last 12 months, and that is my wildthing sloper. Of my own fleet, ( and I am not sure this is what you were really asking ? ) would be...

1) Alfa Sabre

2) S/A Spitfire

3) SAS Wildthing

Yes I know none of them are "new for 2007" but as I say..... nothing really floated my boat enough to splash out on.... spent a small fortune on "internals, radio gear, etc, etc. 

I have had a lot of model aeropplanes over the last 25 years+, and the only 2 models I really have any strong hankering for now, is a nice scale / semi scale oldie like a nice SE5,  Fokker triplane,  bristol mono, etc, and a mid sized EDF BAE Red Arrows schemed Hawk which is not just another foamie.  Boring maybe, but ...... 'tis what I want. 

good morning,

as you know im quite new to flying, but ive got the following and love to fly them whenever i can.

Seb art Katana 30s

Seb art Katana 50s

Precision Aerobatics Katana MD

if you asked  for 4 i would say the E flite  mini pluse this was my 2nd plane that i loved, and it looked like a real plane not like the trainer.

kind regards Mark

Well I would have to say my latest are my fav's

Had the Zagi first, Great little flyer and seen loads of air this year. Next the "still being built" Cambrian ME109, I have enjoyed tinkering with it when I can't fly. Then the latest kid on the block My SAS Wildthing. Just can't wait to fly it in some stronger wind,

Going tonight so should get some video footage.

Best Regards

Lee Morgan

Well, the only thing I've bought this year has been the EF Edge 540T-E, and the various gubbins to get my H9 Extra in the air, but to date that still only has 8mins air under the wings.  Other than that I still miss the EF Profile Edge I broke one too many times this year, gota get another profile.

Models of this year that interest me?  Well, the CA Osmose, but thats a little out of my price range for now, Martin Muellers Manta F3A-P indoor pattern plane, and the palm-z, even though I don't own one(YET)

SebArt Katana 30 - I don't have it myself, and I don't really have the skills yet to make the most use of it, but I have a friend who has one and it is a joy to watch, what a plane.

Multiplex Acromaster - I used to hate foamies because they look a bit naff, but I'm a convert to the wonder flying characteristics and practicality of this one...

Multiplex Cularis - ... and this amazing foam high-performance glider

... and for sheer beauty, how about the Erwin DS carbon fibre glider ...

... and if I had to vote for an electric motor, how about the MVVS range (the unique Czech outrunners in a shell), the 3.5 1200 I have is just so phenomenally smooth and quiet, everyone can't help but be impressed ...

My three favourite models EH ?   More than three ACTUALLY !   No. 1 'er indoors ! Who's encouraged me to get back flying  &     No.s 2 - 8 all home designs + one Extra 300 ARTF + my version of the bush wacker That no-one has commented on  + of course ALBERT

Grumpy

PS  Nearly forgot my Sopwith Pup I'm in the process of Solartexing at this moment It's looking really great so far ( well it's got to be right for ALBERT hasn't it  ? ) 

Most enjoyable flights so far this year with these three:

• GWS Formosa 2 - it's only a bit of cheap foam, but so elegantly shaped, and it flies  smoothly and precise, just like a little pattern ship
  • Seagull Decathlon - agree with everything David A said in his review
  • Resurrected Flair Lark 70 modestly powered by OS 46AX with J'En purple pipe

This is my first kit, for about 30 years, an ARTF, which has taken me abour 3 months. It is a Fantastic Models R1 Gee Bee.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z100/Brudertonne/Dscf0007.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z100/Brudertonne/Dscf0009.jpg

I normally either design my own or build from plans. As a plan (all electric) I would like

a) Dornier Pheil

b) An pattern type aircraft

c) An oldie conversion like Keilcraft Spectre, Nobler, Thunderbird

Regards

Erfolg

Great Planes 72" Super Sportster with an OS120pumper...built from the kit and just sold after 7 Years of sheer pleasure.

My Flair Yak54 with Fuji 32cc even though the U/Cneeds repairing + new Carbon prop!

Overlander Tucano elec. See threads elsewhere on this forum in Electric Flight. A great model to look at and fly.  

Regards Brian......Like your Gee Bee Erflog

My three woud be 1 Sig Rascal 40 2 My 45 inch electric Tucano from the Nigel Hawes kit 3 The Model Tech Magic with an os la 46 I love the Rascal and the Tucano because they both fly in a manner that suits my sunday lazy day flying moods but if I feel like a real animal they are both do things that shoud not be done with models that look like full size aircraft. As far as the Magic goes it's name says it all "Magic" you name it, it does it, if of course you have the thumbs for it, which for the really wild stuff I don't but I am working on it but will still remain a scale type of guy for most of my modelling. Tony

There are of course several foamies available, trouble is they are poorly finished from what I have seen, and mainly hand launched...I would only want something with a half decent retract set, capable of grass strips. I dare say an electric conversion could be done on something like the old IC versions ( Thorpe bros I think did one, as did Paul Gray ) but would require pretty big wallet, which is my other main requirement - I want it to be "in the air" for maximum £1000, excluding radio.

For me it just has to be the Picco-Z given with the subscription-so much fun for so little money! I never thought I would see the day when you could have (nearly) controlled sustained flight such as this in your own living room. I know it is not a 'real' model but my son now has one & a non R/C'er mate of mine has one & is now asking me advice on getting a real model!

As for real models, I am still flying my Mini Jazz built from the free plan nearly 10 years ago-a fantastic & capable model for so little outlay-it goes with me to the field nearly every time.

I think model flying should be fun! Picco Z is, as you say, great fun and value, and the new infra red equipped versions look to be even more fun per pound. They are often flown at our club meeting after the business part is over. I agree with the the comments re how unlikely this would have seemed just a few years ago. There wqere things flying indoors many years ago. The old tissue covered simplified versions of microfilm indoor models were very challenging but you hardly dared to breath when they were flying around. They also seemed more relevant in an old style model club but not a radio club. By the way, we had to change our constitution to include all forms of model flying! I am still a closest CL flyer.

Also a great deal of fun and amazing as a package is the Twister EDF from Multiplex. So good as an effective intro and great for flying off one of our rougher fields. Again a couple of years ago this would have seemed impossible. Reasonably rugged as well.

I have to agree about the Mini Jazz as well. Mine lasted a few years but eventually made way for the full sized version from Weston. This made way way for the Mini Hype which wth my ancient first version Irvine 36 with the  Weston throttle pipe still flies beautifully and starts from a finger flick first time.

Thanks Derek,

yes I remember trying the indoor models as a schoolboy in the school hall at dinner breaks-I wonder if that would be allowed nowadays in this nanny state we find ourselves in-I seem to remember reverting to round-the-pole eventually, flying the KK Flying Scale Spitfires etc. We then progressed to C/L when we could afford engines (DC Sabre/KKRanger first followed by whatever we could swap, beg or borrow), so I too am a closet C/L flier(now 'outed'!)