YT International

James40

Gawd no, I'm not ready for that sort of challenge yet. I was just trying to get my head round why Scott was finding her a handfull.

Think I've got it now though

So it's either a petrol engine or just forget the Typhoon and go with the Spitfire. Such a shame YT didn't build the Tempest MkV, a much better wing than the Typhoon.

Advert

Sorry if I was coming on a bit strong but I don't want to see somebody waste a load of money....and it is a load of money.

Everybody to their own but I'm not in much of a rush to build another ESM [after all, YT import more than one model manufaucturer] model, a friend of mine has also given up on them....they look great but I think they are for nice days only, and we don't get many perfect days in Cumbria!

Like I said, I believe the Tiffy is nice if it's kept light and I think that applies accross the board with the YT stuff, big engine [they need the noseweight], lot's of power and keep the weight sensible.....oh, and get some good retracts!

Hi Ross,

Are you still flying over on Brize's patch?  I'm in the process of becoming more involved in the running of the club so should hopefully get one or two issues sorted in the near (ish) future?
The more I think about this size of model and the weight involved in trying to get it electified, the more I'm thinking about a petrol engine in the nose.
A work colleague imports 30cc and I believe 50cc petrol engines at a very reasonable price so I thin that's going to be the way to go.

It's a lovely morning so I'm going to do less typing and get myself out to the field.

Oi you two!!!!! Ha ha. Cheeky!!! Yes James, when I get time, I'm there. Would be good to get a couple of things sorted out!!!! My details are on my bench in there if you need a hand with anything. As for me, well I am doomed!!!! Oh, ps, defo get a YT model James and don't run electricity through something as good looking as that!!!!!!! 

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 14/12/2010 23:45:18

I looked at buying the 50cc YT Warhawk but when I saw it in the flesh it was horrible.  Poor scale outline, terrible cockpit and the paint job is just ugly.  Far too many bucks for your bang on this one.  I have been flying a H9 Warhawk for the last 3 years and that is a fantastic aircraft.  I have refurbished it, given it a new colour scheme, fitted split flaps and it is even better especially on landing, looka a real treat with everything 'dangling'.

• 2 weeks later...
Just seen this thread,      Hmmm  Yt models difficult to assemble and build,   well,  they ARE for the more experianced,    and the flying is more scale,   thing about the H9 stuff,   they are sports aerobatic models with national markings,  they all fly well,    but are VERY semi scale,    flat plate tails, shiny film covering,  
      Ours are ALL painted, all the decals are sealed in with a coat of varnish over the whole structure,    i have yet to pull out an undercart plate,     but i am sure it will happen,      its a wood structure,  the force of a 11-16lb model landing on that wood, is considerable,     beef it up by all means, it would not harm it,           the tiffy could come out a fair bit heavier than the spit,    but the tiff has a VERY thick section, that helps a LOT,     it does require a considerable amount of nose weight to balance,     the spit needs less,      the MK14 was the 2nd of the warbird series,   and the factory keeps trying to drop it,   yet still, worldwide,   it gets asked for, SO,   its still in the range,     
mention was made of the corsair undercart blowing back,      we have sorted this, and have as an upgrade, a set of cylinders, that, instead of air up/down,   are sroing down,    this gives the legs an extra shove,     we had these made to our design, and they are available just in the UK,  

ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW,  JUST ASK, and i will do my best to help 

we do try to help,  we play with the wing sections,  bend a bit here, stretch a bit there,   generally, no one notices,  the Spit is a good point,  we where taken to task about a cowl line being out of plonk,     same guy didnt even notice the underact was wider spaced, and the gull was not present on the wing route(SO difficult to do, by the way)   but even he said it was the best flying Spit he had ever flown, 
   I also own a Mick Reeves 72"span MK9,  WHAT a tip dropping bitch that is!!!  but i love it to bits,          mention has also been made of el--elec--sorry, cant say it (only joking)    at the nats,  we had a scale judge drop off his MUCH modified hurricane, fitted with lecky,   it had a Bendini sound system fitted,    this gave the merlin engine noise, from start up, to shut down,  and let me tell you---it was REAL!!!      it also had GUN NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   and all for about a hundred quid         TOTAL realism,        elec--el--sorry, still cant say it,    is here, in a big way, and getting bigger,

ONLY JESTING,   lecky is coming next year in a big way,     its only the batterys that are needing more work,  i can remember having an electric (see, i can say it) gider many many years ago, with 8 cells,    lasted--what--5 minutes?,     its come along way,   glo is the minority at our field, where it was the  majority not long ago,      here, we struggle finding a field,   so many noise complaints,   but, with lecky,   the club might just survive

• 9 years later...
Posted by Danny Fenton on 28/12/2010 12:26:39:
Alan all this mentioning of the "E" word, you had better go and sit down and suck on a mince pie

I love my leccy YT Hurricane (original) sure, the duration is under 10 minutes, but that suits my short attention span anyway

Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny

Do you have a thread with the details of your YT Hurricane electric set up? I'd be very interested to see how you'd done it - remember the huge success that you;d had with the Seagull Sea Fury and A123 cells some years ago.

Thanks Danny - this was just about the only thread that came up mentioning the YT International Hurricane in a thread. I'd wanted one for years - and their Bf109E - but never go around to it. Picked one up at a swapmeet on Saturday - the 72" version - and your's sounds like a very successful electric conversion.

Hi, it was a very early leccy conversion for me. And i did have trouble. The bulkhead is not really far enough forward. I mounted a large 2kW motor on all thread. The battery hard up against the bulkhead. If i were to do another like this, and I have subsequently, i would move the batteries much further forward. The Yt suffers from needing a fair bit of lead in the nose. Watch the fus, the front bulkhead moves in warm weather....

It flew really well, if you can just get the weihht forward. One of my albums is simply called STUFF you may find pics in there?

I used pull pull for elevator and rudder to keep weight off the tail.

Cheers

Danny