Bit Cold Out--How much Flying are You Getting In

Advert

Just found out my club membership and insurance finishes on the 31st and have no money till my dole comes through to pay for it so won`t be able to fly till i get it sorted
....I needs to go on the scrounge from my mates a tenner from 4 mates should do it

Well there you go, the final little session of the year - an hour at the patch with the ST Blaze - overcast but totally calm.

It's funny but looking back at 2010, most session seems to be 1-2 hour jaunts with the aerobatic foamies or a foamy EDF jet. Big, all-day sessions with the i.c. behmoth have been less frequent.

Here's hoping we all see better weather in 2011.  

I'll second that. 2010 has been a funy year weather wise. We had all that snow early on, then in late spring we had a few days really nice weather - which boded well, but prooved to be misleading. Most of the year was "OK" without being particularly good. Too many windy days here. Then we finished the year as we started - loads of snow.

Let's hope 2011 will be a vintage year! here's too it!

BEB

2010 poor for weather? Is everyone forgetting the weather we organised for, and all the sun lotion we used at, the 50th Anniversary Fly In?

Happy New Year everyone. Here's to a great 2011 

Yep, a right mix-up in the weather 2010. Two Waterplane Weekends had very strong wind, another two barely flyable. Then we had one or two land fly weekends which were the best we had ever had. Recently at Fort William we have had decent flying weather for six Sundays consecutive, and for anyone who knows the area that IS exceptional.

Depending on the Family I might get out Sunday,,, the forecast is very good again,, Seven Sundays?

Had a great day out yesterday zero wind and the forcast fog did not show. I still was a little nervious after my break and had a few battery issues. (six months in the shed and the cold weather did not help).

Things had to be cut short though when one of the trim tabs gave up the ghost on my DX6i.

Opened the front door this morning at about 9.00am and stood on the patio and chucked my Micro Stik into the air and declared the start of the 2011 flying season - still smiling - what a little fun present my partner managed to buy me for Xmas!!

Later put my new key fob camera on the EG and flew it from the field at the back to get some lovely views of the Lot Valley - 23 mins in all - what better way to start the year!

All the above was after a 2.30am finish, a bottle of red wine half a bottle of Champers and a 'few' G&Ts!  I don't do hangovers!

Weather here 8C calm cloudy bright!

Happy New Year to all you forumites!

TW

Good day here today, calm, sunny and mild.

Flew two packs with the E-Flite Cub 25, lovely little flier and will spend this evening swapping out the Corona 41Mhz Rx for an Orange Spekky with Satellite. The Flightmax 3s 25C 2200mah produces plenty of power but I used an older ABF Li-Po with a similar spec but 20C for the second flight. Whilst the duration was OK, this battery, which is one of my originals from a couple of years ago, develops noticeably lower power than the Flightmax, so I kept it to stooging around for a few circuits.

Next up was the ST Fox, still with the warped wing problem, so more work needed there

Finally, the Phoenix Tiger Moth had her second flight. A bit more right thrust hasn't greatly solved the 'I want to turn left' trimming issue, so I'm going to have to go over all the incidences to see if there's a fundamental trim problem. Regardless of that, she looks great in the air and flies in such a scale-like fashion, I'm really pleased with her.

I'm a little way from 'three-pointers' with her at present and brought her in for an absolute greaser of a 'main wheels first' touch-down - only for the port wheel to encounter a fresh molehill on the roll-out, darn it! She promptly went base-over-apex, fortunately without a mark.........

Pete

Flown for the past 3 days,but cant get the Acro Wot to do as its told,its my own fault for flying fully aerobatic 3D machines so much on phoenix! 

Overcast and dull with the threat of drizzle at our field today. Still had plenty of fliers out . None with a hangover surprisingly.   I managed 2 flights before I noticed the firewall had come loose along the top edge. Still a good afternoon with plenty of banter and nice models, expertly flown to watch.

Good day here in Sunny Hampshire,slight chill but the sun warmed up,not many people turned up but a very enjoyable days flying,ended by our Alfa male managing to do a head over hills on take off with his Panic.He had been critisising us all,all day,so poetically we all shouted"WHY DID YOU DO THAT" and got our own back

For me the end of the year was not the best. Falling ill with a trivial chill, as I was told, which changed to "I think you urgently need to see your family doctor", a course of antibiotic later it was Sunday and a New Year.

Of course there was good news, all the family survived 2010 and I have 3 more kits.

Going to the field was not inspiring, a cold chill cut you to the bones, the sky leadened, the field could be likened to one of those impressionist "The bulb field in Winter" images. Furrows of what had been grass, with stripes of brown muddy earth between, no life other than the huddled group in the distance.

Walking to the group of flyers huddled together in the centre was reminiscent of a bird shoot. Exchanges of Happy New year were exchanged, my subs payed.

I had my one obligatory flight, discovered that the CG was to far back. Hmmmm, I did need that gram or two, which I discarded well before Christmas. Anyway it was retrieved in one piece, truly fortunate.

I could not get back in that car quick enough, to home, a drink, and dreams of Global Warming.

Another 3 hours om my own this morning it was a bit windy but it was straight down the strip,I managed to get the Acro hovering a foot off the ground in the head wind seem to have used a gallon of fuel in 2 weeks 

Who in their right mind would go to the epicentre of Seasonal Flue? I can see it now, ques of people, arms out stretched pleading to be let into Arrow Park.

Then again, some are waiting at home for Global Warming to commence.

It now seems that my mild nasal congestion has now been acknowledged, not as a bad cold, or as one of the contagious killers  flu virus which are stalking the nation. It was a case of "mild flu". If it had been bad case, I would not have been able to get up, even under the tongue lashing from the better half, I would have had a fever, a dry cough. The fact that no amount of cloths kept me feeling warm, or the deliberating cough were just indications of the mild nature. Oh, the reassurance of having two medical bods in the family, you always know how trivial your illness was. That is unless they have it.