Hands up Leightweights :-)

john haz

Who is too frightened to go out in the cold in case their little fingers freeze 

I think maybe I still have the newbie bug & with only a few months of plane flying under my belt, I am a real "hardy" type that  will suffer to get the airtime

Sat  -  minus 1, I had an hour or so at the field
Sun  - no flying in the field because my mate had a hall for the hli's for the day
Mon  -  Only zero degrees so had another hour
Tues - minus 2 but i managed another hour with the lightning & Roo

Yes i would rather it was warmer but I still love every minute of it  -   Do I need therapy ?   

Advert

I think if our club adopted that policy, I would quit & find somewhere else.

I have a local field (2 miles away) I can use, but it's surrounded by various property that could get damaged, so i travel 12 miles to the field "within fields" that our club uses.    Often there alone & as much as I like landing one & putting another straight in the air, I would rather have some company, banter, etc.

Of course, being stuck in the grim flat fens, there's lots of land around, but I don't like to fly in parks or across farmers fields, seems a bit rude to do that. 

Posted by ken anderson. on 07/12/2010 16:59:25:
john to late for therapy....................you need more model's..............

ken anderson .ne..1.

That's a good idea Ken  

I do not agree with a no solo flying rule either unless landowner insists.

I will still go flying in the Minus degree temperatures. I do admit to this getting more difficult as my Birth Day gets farther back in time

Used to go Duck Shooting down the estuary, I didn't have a dog so down to underpants and swim for them even in weather like this. So age does matter.

If you fly alone and you are not seen did it happen?

and if you are seen then you are not alone?

like the falling tree does it make a sond if nobody is there to hear it.

But seriously you do need to respect club rules and if you dont like them get yourself on the commity and campain to have them changed

In at least some cases the no solo flying rule in not as daft as it seems.

If your flying site is in any way isolated, and you were to have an serious accident - for example a serious arterial cut from a propellor - there would be no one to help you. You would be unconcous before you had any opportunity to summon assistance from an ambulance etc via mobile phone. And then you would bleed to death in a matter of minutes. No one would find you in time.

The person isn't there to watch over your flying, how well you fly isn't the point. They are not there as your caller or lookout. They are there to look after you if something goes wrong - that's why it doesn't matter if they can fly a model or not - its more important they know how to use a mobile phone!

BEB

Absolutely spot on BEB

Our solo rule is for exactly the reasons that you has pointed out.

Our club site is on the Surrey Downs quite remote and is open to the public so both the the points that BEB has stated are valid for us.

We are very lucky we have a great club, friendly members and are privileged to be able to fly in such a picturesque setting.

The second person does not have to be a member or even a flyer as far as I am aware, just someone to keep 'Lookout' a be there in case of emergencies.

What I have done is purchase a couple of foam park flyer's (Wot 4 & MX2) we have a large field quite local and I get my 'Stick Time' there. No 'Strip' so the undercarriages come off and land in the long stuff  where there's a will there's a way

JC

Posted by JayCee on 07/12/2010 19:53:18:

The second person does not have to be a member or even a flyer as far as I am aware, just someone to keep 'Lookout' a be there in case of emergencies.

Absolutely correct, JC.  The "other person" is primarily there to keep a lookout for anybody you might not have noticed whilst you're flying.  They don't need to be a member or a flyer.

The point about them being there to assist in the case of any injury is also very valid.  In the days before the club was formed, I can think of one incident where a flyer taxied his model into himself, inflictng bad prop gashes on his leg.  Had he been flying alone it could have been a rather awkward situation...

Cor Blimey !
Can't wait to start my own club when I move shortly to a farm in Yorkshire not far from Scarborough . 40 acres ,a trout stream .no sticky buns-just proper food & a pub that provides real ale 100 yards up the road .  'Er indoors had carers to "help "her dad just before he died recently there & they weren't allowed to light his fire (wood) .They came in their high heels to the farm  .H&S !!!!!!--He lit his fire for about 90 years !! He was 98 by the way . Too many nanny state rules & regs

ok but by the same argument do we have to drive cars with a second person in "just in case" are we allowed to cross the road on our own "just in case"
the BMFA recomend that you do not fly alone buts thats just exactly what is should be! a recommendation, thats what it is at our club, to make it a rule is in my opinion totally over the top, i like to get there early we can fly from 9.00 am at our field so if we had a solo rule at our club, i  would have to wait until about 11 or 12 before someone else turns up.
i thought we were adults and able to assess the situation and dangers for ourselves its  a recommendation in our club that you avoid flying alone but thats all it should ever be!!
i would do everthing i could to change that rule! thankfully  our club takes the stance that as long as you have passed your wings!! and you are an adult you can fly !! 
silly silly rule

This has gone a bit off topic, ha ha.

I can see both arguments here, i fly alone quite often but that doesn't mean i am unaware of the risks, i just have my mobile to hand at all times and make sure i take EVEN more care than i normally would!!!
No solo flying club rules are not there for safety, they are probably there for litigation reasons unfortunately!!

Anyway, back to topic. 
I would love to get out in the cold temperatures and do some flying, but i am soooo busy at the mo that i just haven't had time!
This thread might spur me on tomorrow though!!

Posted by Lee Smalley on 08/12/2010 12:46:40:

i would do everthing i could to change that rule! thankfully  our club takes the stance that as long as you have passed your wings!! and you are an adult you can fly !! 
silly silly rule

Lee,  I don't know who owns the land that your club flies on.  But if the landowner stated that your club could only fly there on condition that you followed certain rules would you still be doing whatever you could to overturn those rules?

Our club  does prefer 2 people to be present but leave the decision up to the indivdual.Ive spent many evenings contentadly flying on my own on the way home wondering why Im alone when conditions have been excellant.Ive not needed to worry about other peoples models buzzing around and I quite enjoy the solitude.Of course at this time of year with the present weather few people do continue to fly,last sunday was an excellant day and yet there were only 4 of us.

Our club, as I've said, is on public land. You can fly on your own but its not encouraged. The main practical problem is kids coming up and messing around with your flightbox, tools or other models whilst you are concentrating on a model in the air!

On the odd occassions when I've suspected I would be on my own I've invited my teenage son or daughter to come along - which in the summer (and for small bribe) one of them is usually happy to do!

BEB

I quite like it when it is cold, there are less dog walkers etc at the local park and I often have it all to myself!

I thought about joining the local club, but there really are so many rules these days. Our local club has the 'No Flying Alone" rule and that does put me off joining it. This hobby is meant to be fun, and if I have an afternoon off work then I want to be able to go flying, even if everyone else is stuck in the office!

JP  yeah i would certainly try !!  but if the Landowner will not budge then you have to live with it but as a committee you should at least try ! i can't see what flying alone has got to do with the landowner but hey !!  in my opinion that rule will only discourage people from joining clubs BMFA membership and indeed our own club membership is down at the moment and i suspect rules like these in clubs will deter solo flyers like DH from joining a club, look if you are a competent flier, and adult and you have A,B or C cert you should be allowed to asses the risks and fly alone if you so wish, its not ideal but its a hobby and we can't insist that people have mates that also like rc flying everyone is different!
i personally can only go once a week and i like to go early and come home late (to make the most of the day) if i had to abide by such a draconian rule i would only be flying 12-3 some days!!   
I am an adult i would like to be treated as such !