RIP Crew and Aircraft

James40

This was a practice display flight for the Elmendorf Alaska airshow, as is quite obvious from the video, he gets it very wrong.

Watching the video, it looks like he's trying to snap roll her with just about full rudder, why you would do that is ????
 Sad lessons to be learned from this accident, one being never ignore the stall warning!

Edited By James40 on 27/12/2010 11:05:34

Edited By James40 on 27/12/2010 11:07:13

Advert

an uneducated guess.
he didn t try to roll it.
the rudder deflection varies with airspeed. at slow airspeed more being available/ needed. and he was at slow speed having departed tactically.
the display is probably flown with intermitent stick shaker, bank angle in any case.
very sad, I lost friends in a similar crash.

Stick shaker was most definately active with the stall prevention system but over ridden by aggressive inputs to the controls.
Climb out to 850ft instead of 1500ft
Slats retracted too early and in a right hand turn with full right rudder and stick pulled back, the stall warning activated but full right rudder was left in which increased the bank angle and he kept pulling on the stick through the stall ! The stall deepened and the aircraft departed controlled flight with a sink rate of 9000ft/min, 184kts and 63.6' angle of bank.

The manual says:
1) apply forward stick.
2)apply maximum thrust .
3)Large rudder inputs should be avoided

Left aileron and rudder were applied 2 seconds before impact but roll rate was minimal due to the stall.

A sad loss of 4 lives due to overconfidence and being overaggressive

I think they call it "Human Factors" these days Stephen.

Lots of little events all leading to one major event.  I'm sure suicide wasn't the intention here, just a total mishandling of an aircraft and over confidence in ones ability.

If you wish to read the full accident report here please do, it's long winded as you'd expect an accident report to be but it covers everything in depth.

Think Douglas Bader - part of the RAF display team so not short of skill and experience but ego overcame education and he pushed himself just a little too far to prove a point...

...but, without such people we'd still be debating whether or not to adopt the wheel!

Of course, there are those who would still  like us to. 

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/12/2010 15:02:04

Simon,
I was thinking exactly the same when I first saw the video clip, it's all too familar to the B-52 crash!
I'm not sure if the B-52 was practicing for an airshow, I seem to recall it was the pilots last flight in a B-52 (quite literally) so he did a bit of a showboating display.

James
It was indeed a practise for an air display.
The pilot was well known for his aggressive & outside limits flying to such an extent that he had received several verbal warnings and finally his squadron leader had prohibited him from display flying unless he was on board (he was) acting as co pilot " to protect the crew".
One of the 2 other flight crew was Vice Wing Commander Col Wolff for whom this was to be his final military flight.

The whole tragic incident and the circumstances surrounding it apparently are used as a flight safety case study in the USAF.