Biggles' Mess

Advert

I thought I would share this with you as I think it might interest the majority of readers.

About eight years ago my near neighbour was a very elderly frail ex army officer. In fact he had a terminal illness. Very exact and correct gentleman with a very big history. I drove him to hospital a number of times and we discussed all sorts of things. He told me some of the amazing things he had done during before, during and after WW2. For example, and for me, the most intriguing.

During the mid 1930's he had been the theatre critic for a big (current) British newspaper and was reviewing an opera in Berlin, he found himself sitting a few seats away from Adolf Hitler.

He had also been present as an observer at the War crimes trials in Japan.1946.

This is true.

BEB is spot on with that post, I was gardening for few elderly ladies a few years ago and one lady was telling me of her excitement the first time she saw a motor car and again the first time she saw an aeroplane and i have heard some great even amazing stories from others over the years.

Chrispy Bacon, I bet you loved it every time you had a chance to talk to him, I know i would have.

bbc

I did, but I also always regret not trying to find out more about what my dad, who died 24 years ago, did in WW2.

He was in the R.E.M.E and his duty was recovering damaged and broken down tanks in North Africa then Italy.

I have a few photos, but he would never really talk about exactly where he went and what he did, like many veterans, he probably saw some horrible things and tried to forget......star

There's a coincidence, my Dad was Coldstreams on tank recovery and repair but he was in Europe following the front line through France, Holland and Germany after D-day. He's made brief mentions of what was to be found in the recovered vehicles when asked but obviously something he really did not want to remember.

An uncle of mine had an unusual job during the war. He was a pharmacist and his job was to examine captured German first aid kits and medicine chests. Apparently as the war went on there were thousands of these things - some taken from crashed aircraft, a few from captured U-Boats and after D-day many from the German Army. Apparently the Allies were particularly keen to know if the Germans had developed Penicillin among other things.

BEB

A lot of satuff can be found by a bit of trawling round on the net. I've found a group photo of 420 squadron with what llooks very like my father in it (he was MIA in 1943). Strange thing (which I also discovered when I found an entry in the Operational Record book)

August 14: On this night ops came through for fourteen aircraft were detailed to areas around Pizzo and Lamezia. One did not take off. Eleven bombers successfully attacked villages, railways, beaches and small boats in good visibility. Crews observed many fires. Two aircraft failed to return. Bomb loads for the attack were 6x250 plus 6x500 or 6SBC (8x40). One aircraft detailed to Larmezia carried a 4000 lb cookie. Take off times varied from 19:03 to 20:14. Attacks appeared to be successful with fires and explosions observed. Opposition was minimal. One crew over Pizzo reported what appeared to be plane crash. Two crews did not return: HE524: Pilot P/O AB Long, nav F/O E/I Fairweather, ba F/O A Brown, wop F/O CW Dickinson, ag Sgt WH Garbutt; and in LN431: Pilot Sgt JM Parr, nav Sgt DJ Nettle, ba Sgt WCH Dadge, wop Sgt ESR Norgrove, ag Sgt DD Boyd. All were killed. One crew was reported missing from the missions but were reported safe in Sicily after crashing their plane. 70 bombers were required to attack the beaches from Messina to Acqualadrone. These orders were cancelled and the beaches from San Giovanni to Palmi and the area of Pizzo were targeted instead. 25 crews from 331 Wing were detailed to attack the Pizzo target. Nineteen bombers succeeded in attacking the area with 32 tons of bombs. Fires were started in the towns and on the beaches. A barge was sunk with a direct hit. Two crews from 420 Squadron were reported missing. A signal was sent from Group asking night fighters to avoid target areas.

The last line has had me scratching my head since I found it - two aircraft missing and Group was asked to make sure night fighters stayed out of the target areas. Why?

As far as my father is concerned, his regimental website is very good and covers the North African campaign very well, but quite rightly concentrates on the attacking and defending operations.

The transport and support side of it is not really mentioned.

From what I have read, he was fortunate to come through that part of the war un-injured. Ironically, before he went he was badly injured in the south of England in training when the frame of a military motorcycle he was riding cross country, a Matchless, I think, broke into two pieces on rough ground!

More bad news. One of the great rock guitarists Wilco Johnson, ex Dr. Feelgood, is suffering a terminal illness. More news on the BBC and his website.

I was fortunate to see him play live a couple of years ago, incredible playing style, control and stage prescence.

Thanks BEB, I already have 4 kids so one more wont hurt. Just waiting for them to get trained up now. I want one to be a sparky, one to be a plumber, one to be a brick layer and the girl an interior designer then they can build me a nice new house! with large workshop.

On the plus side I will be taking the 2 oldest to East Kirkby and Cosford. They are all having their first trip the the RC hotel in april but I dont think I will be flying as much as I usually do.

P

Just a passing thought but I think if model aircraft enthusiasts could see what they are missing out on they would be more inclined to take out a subscription, like making 'subscriber only' content available to all instead of adopting the slightly selfish attitude of 'if you aint paid for it you dont get it'.

Personally I think with the present economic climate and what has become an essentials only existance for a lot of people you do whatever it takes to sell the goods.