Finding the right leading edge - retail grumble

Simon B

I'm currently after some symmetrical 1/2" leading edge and i'm determined to find a way of getting it that doesn't cost nearly £10 including postage.  I live in Cambridge and my nearest stores are Hobby Stores (4 miles from my house), which seems to stock nothing but flat edged stock or Inwood (about 15 odd miles), who are excellent, but hardly do any leading edge stock, despite otherwise having a massive selection of balsa. 

Any ideas?  I've tried Slec, Balsamart and because of the length of wood it costs about £4+ in postage.  Is there a shop nearish that might stock it i've not thought of?

Advert

Been to both shops and nether has any,and between them they have everything you could think of,I can`t believe it,sorry.

BEB would you like the mars bar deep fried?

I was in Scotland on holiday last year and that was the first time I came across this idea of deep fried Mars bars - I don't think I can imagine what that would taste like - it sounds disgusting! Is it a Scottish idea?

But I suppose it must be alright - or folks wouldn't buy them. Having said that, we have at least one upstanding member of this forum who apparently eats Alpen with Red Bull poured over it  - isn't that so Dan?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 07/01/2011 16:47:26

I think the "Deep Fried Mars Bar" is either a local delicacy, or a myth. When My daughter (#1) went to live Nr Edinburgh, in a place called Bonnyrigg, an old mining town, and place of the castle of Mary queen of Scotts (near by). I went to the local chippy in search of this fabled delicacy. Allsorts of other deep fried things were on offer including Haggis (freshly killed that morning), alsas not the Mars bar. I have looked in Edinburgh (Bruntsfield), Inverness (Culloden), Nr Aberdeen.

Anyway back to the symmetrical leading edge. I made one not 6 months back, just install as the old time CL stunters, and it easy to plane symmetrically. I used 1/2", not to expensive.

Edited By Erfolg on 07/01/2011 17:04:42

I had a similar problem months ago and help was at hand in this forum.  I also doubted my ability to form a L/E with a David plane and sand paper. Using laminated balsa strips glued to ribs, and marking straight lines from the centre out to help as a guide.   Give it ago ,you will be suprised and pleased with the result.  Cheers FB3.

Edited By fly boy3 on 07/01/2011 17:16:58

Just to put the record straight the deep fried Mars bar was invented in little Scotland i.e. Corby Northants!

Fascinating town - it has very strong links with Scotland due to the Stewarts and LLoyds scottish workforce descending on a small village in the 1920's/30s to quarry the ore and make iron/steel.  Has a Rangers Club, Celtic Club, Grampian Pipe Band, and a very distinctive accent.  Once the World Pipe Band Championships were held there and it has a highland gathering every year.

TW

Laminate from several layers of 1/8 ( or whatever is suitable ) using narrower strips on each layer.  Ensure you use a sandable glue such as aliphatic ( not ordinary PVA ) or cyano.
You could also wrap the sheeting over the first layer but not the other layers.  My diagram shows this.

May I suggest that you will never learn to do anything unless you try. Get some wood and start shaping.

Next time you will know how to do it. The same applies to any new technique, you might not get it perfect the first time or two but you will learn.

Back when many of us started we didn't have a choice, the range of accessories filled all of two pages of the catalogues. We had to make things. We didn't say "I don't think I can do it," we just got on with it.

Peter, unfortunately i'm a modeller on a budget, so making mistakes isn't a luxury I can afford.  The joy of the advances from the days of accessories filling two pages of a catalogue is that people like myself can now afford this hobby.  I completely agree it's good to learn, but the cost is critical.

Sorry but shaping wood is not that hard, just remember not to take off too much at once.

As someone else said, make a template and use a razor plane and sandpaper and work slowly and you will find that it is not hard.

WE made things because we couldn't afford the accessories. WE made our own tanks from Ovaltine tins and bellcranks  and control horns from scrap aluminium and Paxolin. Usually you could scrounge that and it saved money when you were on 2/6 (12 1/2 P) pocket money.

You only got one shape of leading edge, roughly Clark W. You shaped everything. iT was cheaper.

The result was that we all learned to to make everything, something that has stood me on good stead ever since.

Shaping the leading edge will be far cheaper that getting a pre shaped leading edge which may not be exactly the right shape, especially if you have to pay postage on it.

kc suggests a neat way of making leading edges. One that I use as standard. That is so easy, reliable and strong that you could at least adapt that to your wing