Charity Mass Build Project

OK the winner of the vote has been announced. Now the next thing we need to decide is when are we going to do this and how long are we going to do it for!

Obviously we want to give the maximum number of people the chance to be involved. So I think we need to be flexible and compromising on these questions.

The event really needs to fit in a certain "time window". Lets assume that we are ready to go late January - i.e. all dates decided, model selected, numbers determined etc. Then the suplier will need about 8 -10 weeks, to allow the laser cutting firm to produce the kits. So that means the earliest we can expect kits to be available in numbers is the begining of April.

At the other end of the timescale, we really need to have things finished (if we can) by early June. This is because several folks will probably want to take their model along to the RCM&E fly-in at Greenacres. That is 25-26th June. Now a condition of the fly-in is that models must have been flown before - no maidens allowed. So to give people a chance to "debug" their models we need to finish them by early June.

So, the window is 1st April to 31st May say. Two months.

So, one possibility would be to just simply make the mass build last over those two months. That would allow maximum flexibility. The only down side to this would be that the event might become a little "unfocussed" because it is too spread out in time. We could possibly get round this by having a "fosussed week" within the two month period when we "home in" on the project.

Another possibility would be to nominate a shorter period within the two month window - say from a Friday night to one week the following Sunday - 9 days. But we could say that while that is the week and we focus on that - in reality as long as you do some of the build in that time that's fine. You can start earlier and finish later if you want!

Of course anyone can buy the model and build it whenever they want in reality. But what we are saying is that these dates are when the focus of the mass build will be.

Keep it in mind that the principle is to find ways of including people not excluding them!

All ideas and suggestions welcome! What would be happiest with?

BEB

Thanks BEB

Personally I'll go along with anything and fit in. I will probably have to build over a few weeks 'cos I just don't get much time in one go, and I work away from home more often than not.

It may be worth sticking to the two months at this stage and then homing in on a concentrated period when we know people have kits.

For anyone coming to this now, the model we will be building together is the Webbit from Steve Webb Models. The nice thing is that SWM will donate money to charity for every kit sold. BEB could you expand on details of pricing and charity donation again?

Here's some photos of a Webbit

"

Edited By Chris Bott on 11/01/2011 08:35:17

Surely Chris!

Steve Webb reckons he can knock out Webbit kits for us for approximately £38-40. So it wont "break the bank" to take part. The kit is what is known as a "short kit" that is you will need to add some sheet and strip balsa to finish it - but not a lot - the Webbit is not a big model. Webbits can be built in either electric or ic formats so full choice available there. And as you build it of course you can be as wild as you like with the colour scheme - as the photos in Chris' post show!

Now the idea is to have loads of us building this same model all basically at the same time. Why? Well just for the pure fun of it - no sensible adult reason!

For each Webbit we build, fly and photograph - Steve Webb will donate at least £5 to charity! The benefiting charity will be one in support of Arthritis sufferers. I say "at least" £5 because Steve himself can't be sure - it might be more, depending on how many of us take part and what sort of deal he can get from the laser cutting company! But he is guarenteeing at least £5.

Not at all a compulsary element - but there is a plan to have a mass Webbit presence at the RCM&E fly-in in June so if you build a Webbit as part of this event you would be very welcome to bring it along and meet loads of other lunatics - er I mean enthusiasts! - who have built Webbits!

If you have never built a traditional kit - but often fancied having go - then this is definitely for you! Put simply, you'll never get a better chance to build a kit with loads of advice and help. The Webbit is not a difficult build - in fact its quite straight forward - but it does include most of the key elements in building a traditional kit - so its an excellent introduction.

Webbits also fly really well - depending on the power you put in they can be anything from quite docile to fully aerobatic.

So, give it some serious thought - you will have fun I promise - and end up with good flying model that is unique in the world - cos it was made by you! And as if that isn't enough you will have helped to raise some money for a worthwhile cause. So what are you waiting for?

Any questions feel free to ask either by posting here or PM David Gilder or myself.

Cheers

BEB

As I said in the thread, I did not vote for the Webbit, because I already have two of them - one IC one leccie. ( I didn't vote at all.)   However, I am really glad that you lot chose it.

It really does go together sweetly.  By far the most difficult bit is covering the wing tips, but then I am useless at covering anything.

If you are planning to build leccie, then keep the back end light.  I am just finishing my leccie one at the moment, and I have had to uncover it and do lots of sanding to save weight.  Did I say I hate doing the covering!

Have fun,all of you.

I may even try to sneak in to see them all in June.

Cheers.

Plummet

Thanks Plummet.

If you do manage to sneak over to Greenacres to see us, you'd better bring yours too
If there's anything you need to know about the Fly-In just let me know. We like to think we're a pretty accommodating bunch

(pssst... If the date doesn't suit, we do have two other funflies, but let's concentrate on the RCM&E one here)

Hi

I am still a rank amateur at flying having solo'ed today (muddy wet and windy) on an alpha 40.  Have built a ARTF seagull Yak 54 but will not be flying until much more practiced  What is the date/location for this RCM&E fly in as this site has been a great resource (yes I am a subscriber now as well) and would like to attend.

Steve

Cheers to the guys who sorted the final count up
So the next question is who`s going IC and who is going Lekky?

Posted by Steven Butler on 11/01/2011 17:43:03:
Hi

I am still a rank amateur at flying having solo'ed today (muddy wet and windy) on an alpha 40.  Have built a ARTF seagull Yak 54 but will not be flying until much more practiced  What is the date/location for this RCM&E fly in as this site has been a great resource (yes I am a subscriber now as well) and would like to attend.

Steve

Steve the event is near Walsall in the Midlands on 25th and 26th June. It's a very relaxed affair with everyone made welcome. Camping is available from the Friday evening onwards. Visiting pilots are charged a fee (£5 I think) each day to fly. Campers are asked for a donation to club funds, but that's it. It's free to park and spectate. Theres a few more details on our club website at   GMAC Website

Very good event the fly in - I went last time meet some great people and had a smashing time! Heartly recommended! Obviously not essential to go if you build a Webbit you can join in anyway - but if you can find the time etc. to make the trip to sunny Wasall (and it was very sunny last year - hard to remember now!) its well worth it!

BEB

PS Steven warmest congratulations on your first solo - great feeling eh? Are you planning to build a Webbit? By June you'll be just ready for something like that - bit of excitment!

Just got back from our clubs monthly meeting.....
Have made sure they are all fully aware of the build and sounds like we might get a few builders from them!!!

As for timeframe.......    Personnaly I think it should be approx 1 month (mid April - mid May) or similar... Obviously not set in stone, but with a 10 day period in the middle to really push it on!!

Keep the thoughts coming and then Beb and I will confer and post the general period of the build for the Mass Build!!

Dave

Hi,

I emailed Steve Webb today and told him to prepare the way! He's delighted that the Webbit has been choosen. And no - for the "cynics" not just becuase it business! I think he's genuinely proud his model has been picked.

He already has a reasonable stock of Webbits in at present - and is awaiting our numbers to see if he needs to order more. I have promised him that we will be in a position to give him indicative numbers in late January.

We'd better get on with agreeing the date!

BEB

@Steve - there is no reason Easter couldn't be within the biuld period - we have from 1st April to 31 May, Easter is in late April.

@Danny, I know what you mean - but I think we just need to agree a date - cos that will influence folk's decision.

@All - Danny makes a sound point - and very few people are suggesting dates. So I suggest that David and I have an exchange of PM's tonight and come up with a firm proposal for the date. Then if that proposal is accepted we can go straight on to the "sign up".

BEB

PS If you have any strong views on the date or duration - please express them today!

I am involved in the "global build off" on RCSB  A group of us said we would all start to build a model of a Hurricane, to any scale and by any designer. The start was at Midnight on October 1st 2009. The way that works is that each participant start a thread titled Global Build Off XXXX's Hurricane. That way they are easy to group the build threads. Clearly these are scale models and none have been finished yet. Though I am nearly there after 15 months.
Perhaps we could have a start day instead of date and each build starts Monday morning lasting through the week?

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 12/01/2011 09:52:22

Blimey Danny, you've got plenty happening haven't you!

I thought it might be a good idea to get the Mass Build threads into a neat separate area so, as you can see, I've started this new section  - should be easier to find what you want etc. Trust that's ok everyone?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 12/01/2011 13:02:05

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 12/01/2011 13:02:28

David,

Thats GREAT...     So much easier for everyone to find all the posts now.  Saves searching up and down the Latest Posts List!!!!

Looks like this is going to be a great build for everyone and really looking forward to seeing as many of the finished Webbits at the Greenacres Fly In.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per BEB's earlier posting. We will have a chat later on and come up with a "firm" date for the build and will then let everyone know by posting it on here!!

Hope everyone is as keen as us to build and fly it!!

Dave.

For me, the only time it is going to happen is in the Easter holidays, so I would need to have the kit at least a couple of weeks before that to make sure I have everything.

Whitsun half-term is taken, and i find my time is fairly short on work days, and often don't feel like building

But, if it is not to be, I may still take part, but at a different time.

I like the idea of build threads, that way it doesn't really matter when hey are built, so long as it is between now and June.

Thanks for setting up the separate topic area David - I was going to ask about that but you beat me too it

I would encourage everyone who builds a Webbit for this event to run build blog on here - its a big part of the fun! It also helps us to share experiences, assists those relatively new to building a traditional kit, creates more of a "doing it together" feel,and contributes to keeping a handle on how many Webbits are being built!

RE: timing. I think its important to remeber that setting the time duration for the build does not imply its a "race" - i.e, you must finish your Webbit in 196 hours or else! Any suggestion to limit the time comes only from two reasons:

1. Practically the event has to have a start and a finish

2. The experience of "mass building" i.e. all building together, will be more intense if the period is shorter rather than longer.

They are the only reasons for putting time limits on really. I certainly wouldn't want to see those limits stop someone from being able to take part.

BEB

OK Guys, we've have had our chat and we have a proposal for you:

The Proposed Time Frame
The event would start on Friday 1st April (how appropriate!) and finish on Sunday 15th May 2011. This means it would last 6 weeks. We feel this is a reasonable time, and is a compromise between one month and two months. It also includes two Bank Holidays, Easter and May Day - so gives an opportunity to those who need that time.

If, due to personal circumstances, you can't fit in that period - DON'T WORRY! You wont be excluded!

If you really need to start your Webbit before 1st April that's OK. But we will ask you one thing - if you want to make a build blog (and we hope you will) please don't post it until the main event - i.e. after 1st April. This is to ensure that no one "steals the event's thunder" as it were!

Similarly, if you can't finish your Webbit by 15th May - DON'T WORRY You wont be alone and of course the build blogs can run on for as long as you want and I'm sure we'll be encouraging you along!

So, there you have our proposal. We feel it gives the event a focal period while at the same time making the maximum possible allowances to individual circumstances.

We'll let this stand until Saturday for comments. If we can agree on the timetable, then the signing up thread will be launched Saturday night.

David & BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/01/2011 22:07:25

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/01/2011 22:09:47