PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Advert

Afternoon All,

Just wondering if there's a guide of where to find you lot on Saturday morning? Think I seen something a while back, but have been unable (too lazy) to find it.

And if there's waffles in it.........offers launching service......... as mine's probably going to be static display only crying 2

Cheers

If it's finished or not it's getting chucked off!

Llandudno - head to sea front - head to pier - drive past pier on your right - head to big stone archway - pay fee - go around Marine Drive - go past lighthouse hotel - go past Rest and Thankful Cafe - take left up a rutted track just after this - drive to the top.

Follow your nose to the smell of bacon and waffles yes

MULBERRY RESTAURANT DIRECTIONS.

Heres a link to google maps MULBERRY.

Basic driving directions for the technically challenged are as follows wink

After exiting the Orme's "Marine Drive" stay on Abbey Rd, then second left and at roundabout turn right to join A546 Bryniau Rd towards Deganwy and Conwy.

At Llandudno Junction, take 3rd right at the large roundabout, head over the bridge into Conwy town ( castle on your left ) keep straight, onto Rosehill St, through the archway, onto A547 towards Bangor.

Just before the railway bridge ( approx 1/2 ml ), turn right onto Morfa Drive, pass the school on your right, go over the bridge crossing the A55 expressway onto "Ellis Way" and turn right following signs for the pub.

Table booked in my name. There is an overflow car park close by if needed. See you there for 8pm seated.

Flair Lightening

Being as my A4 still looks like a balsa box and I've totally run out of time, I thought I'd better make some effort and get something new (to me) ready for this weekend's meet.

This Flair Lightening has been rescued from my pile of "Shall I mend it or bin it?" broken air frames. I acquired it 20+ years ago as a wreck from a well know local PSS flyer, one of his more polite names being "Crazy Dave". Those who know this gentleman will probably be aware that he didn't build this plane! It was, in fact built by Ray Jones, his name and address still being in the fuselage. The scale detail on the air frame is to Ray's usual stunning standard.

Flair Lightening 2

The front end has been totally rebuilt and in time, I will finish off the scale detailing.

I have looked on T'internet for control surface throws and can't find any help there. Can anyone advise me please? It has an all moving tailplane, rudder and I also recall that the ailerons need to be reflexed (this is down?) how much? I have the balance point still marked on the fuslage.

Thanks in anticipation! See you Saturday.

Steve - reflex would be ailerons up yes AMT's are usually quite sensitive, so go careful on the throws and use a big bag of expo too. Roll rate is likely to be just as hairy. The most recent one I've seen fly is Mike Grey's (previously Steve Houghton's) which was a Flair kit, and they go well. They might be able to chime in with some details?

Anyway, set some rate switches and expo would be my advice for this one. She's looks lovely too!

Quick note to say a huge thank-you to all who attended and took part in our PSSA Fly-In this weekend - it must go down as one of our best attended meets! And a special thanks to those who brought their newly completed Skyhawks for the Mass Build - we amassed 23 A-4s on the Orme today - some great models on show!!

A full write up and photo selection to follow in due course - but for now just a couple of the group shots as a memento of a successful weekends flying!

edit1024img_1743.jpg

editimg_2973.jpg

editimg_2996.jpg

I had a lovely weekend flying, the beginner in me showed as I landed my middle phase and managed to crack the tail fin. I enjoyed flying it and it handled very well. Tried to get the Albatross flying but something went wrong and Andy Meade done a good job in landing it as safely as he could and only had minor damage. that was soon fixed but I did not want to fly it again until it is balanced correctly. I managed to get the P51 out and that also flies very well, unfortunately on landing that also suffered damage that will need fixing.

I am already looking at my next model for the calm days, a hobbyking 2000 just so I can get some flying time in, and I fancy a mirage 2000(b) for a PSS model. Soon I will have more models than some of the guys who have been flying for years lol.

I have just had a read of Peter "Waffle Man" Garsden blog post and it is a very good read.

Sorry I missed the A10 in action but I am sure I will see it soon.

Thanks to everyone who helped me this weekend, Especially Harry, Steve, Tim, Andy and Dave for helping me with landings and launches and being there if I needed to ask a question.

See you all soon

Warren

Here's a short video of a small selection of the flying on Sunday. For once the lift was booming and if I wasn't flying I was either talking or making the trek back to the pits for more models! Hence only a bit of time filming!

Huge thanks to Matt & Phil for a PSS model with fighter jet characteristics, better than a fast foamie EDF any day!