PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Advert

Just a quick post before I hit the road and get to the peninsula - where internet access is limited at times...

Conscious that a number of our flyers are camping on the peninsula tonight BEYOND the meet point at Llanbedrog - so for their benefit there really is no need to travel back to the meet point for the decision each day... unless there is a RADICAL change in conditions the forecast has been stable all week with both days dominated by Westerly winds, swinging from WNW to SW during the day.

This will see us on Anne's slope, ideal for running the event with good proximity to cars, toilet access etc...we do have to pay £3 per pilot to fly there as per the agreement between the landowner and the Lleyn MAC. We can walk along the coastal path either way from this site should the wing swing off the slope a little. So see you guys there about 10:30am - Ill stay at the meet point UNTIL 10am, post the slope decision on the phone box then make my way over to Anne's with anyone else meeting there unsure of the route to the slope. 07772 224719 with any questions, assuming the phone is in a signal zone!

Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me an OS grid reference and or directions to the parking place at Anne's Place for tomorrow please? I've tried to get the directions on the PSSA web site but can't get it to open the Lleyn page. I'm guessing that it's up the road from the Nant y Big campsite, towards Mynydd Cilan? I'm hoping to get away early tomorrow so thought I'd go straight to the flying site. Looking forward to a good day tomorrow!

Sunburnt and tired - I'm just back from our annual PSSA/Lleyn MAC Fly-In and what a weekend we've had! Really memorable for 2 full days of flying in generally superb conditions throughout - a huge thanks to all who travelled!! As always as much fun away from the slope as on it!

Winds were Westerly moving South Westerly both days, measured between 10 and 28mph, which saw us flying at Anne's place. This is ideal for an event with close proximity to the cars, amenities like ample parking and even a W/C, and probably THE most picturesque slope in the area!

We flew from 10:30am until 5pm on the Saturday, when some rain stopped play - and again from 10:30am until well gone 6pm last night, with good lift and clear blue skies throughout!! Attendance was a little down on the norm, with a number of our regular members committed elsewhere, but the 15 or so pilots who were there had a ball! Everything flew, from the lightest of foam Alpha Jets right up to the heavily loaded WW2 fighters like the 9lb Zero of Rich Henderson.

More photos and a write up to follow, here's just a sneak peek of some of the action taken first thing each day on my I-phone... If you attended do share some more of your pictures here!

Pete Garsden flies his Vulcan...

lleyn17 1.jpg

Tim Mackey proudly flying the new Aerobertics.be windsock!

lleyn17 2.jpg

Chris Barlow launches his FMS Alpha Jet into the 10mph Westerly...

lleyn17 3.jpg

Closely followed by Harry Twist for some formation!

lleyn17 4.jpg

Big up to Phil for organising yet another excellent PSS event! Perfect in every respect, good weather, wind, lift, scenery and of course stimulating company!

Anyone who hasn't been to a PSS event should give it a go, well worth the trip.

Andy, who on earth would bring a Twinstar to a PSS event?!! Fortunately, due to the camo scheme, you'd need eagle eyes to spot it!

Brilliant weekend thanks to Phil and all the PSS guys. yes

The little Alpha Jets were great fun from as little as 8 mph upward and got plenty of airtime! The 3 ship Magister formations were excellent. John H was a bully and hooligan in the air hitting "several" aircraft! Non stop flying all day Saturday and loads of fun. Finally got the "little" A-10 sorted too after tweaking the tail plane incidence after BwlchFest

On a personal note I was pleased to land my first Sea Bass on Saturday night. Hooked several but they always managed to shake the hook and get away!

Managed to crash my Vulcan twice in one flight on Sunday morning! Once into Harry's Horten whilst in an impossibly close 3 ship formation of Tim's Vulcan, the Horten and my Vulcan. We heard the distinct sound of smacked correx from 100 yards away along the slope! Then after 20+ minutes of low passes round the back of the slope I seemed to loose the connection to my model after a low 2' pass with nutter Tim below me flying through the grass tops again. The Vulcan performed a commanded bank to the left to head out back into lift but then continued to turn downwind into the slope face nose first. Somehow there was no damage and I was left wondering if it really happened at all! Very busy skies all weekend with some breaks for deck chair flying in the sun too, and best of all, no phone signal!

Great Orme next! laugh

To echo Chris's comments, great weekend, superb coastal site with stunning backdrops, some fabulous models on show, lots of flying and of course great company with PSS banter making the event doubly enjoyable!

Even the camping was good fun!

Many thanks to Phil for organising and co-ordinating the two days.

Thanks to everyone for posting some brilliant photos already.

Regards H

• 1 month later...

Just 2 weeks to run until the PSSA's Great Orme weekend Fly-In 19th/20th August!

Lunchtime Saturday (assuming the weather allows and we are flying from the SW or NW slope based in the Tank Track Car Park) we will be running a BBQ on site - a huge thanks again to Tim Mackey for helping with the logistics and arranging for the gas powered grill to be transported up to where we are flying!

We would ask anyone wishing to take part for a small contribution to cover the costs of gas, please bring your own food/plates/utensils etc there will be some tables and chairs provided to aid food prep/consumption.

Fingers crossed we get the weather to enable this plan to be executed - we all love a burger and a beer between sorties it should be a great social if the weather Gods play ball!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 05/08/2017 11:32:28

• 2 weeks later...

The wind forecast for the weekend looks most favourable for PSS on the Orme with good strength SW's dominating!

At this range the Saturday appears to be the better of the two days - with Sundays forecast looking wet - but we will continue to monitor that as the week goes on - as we know, forecasts change and the Orme often doesn't follow the mainland forecast anyway?

So we are still all systems go for Saturday, including of course the planned BBQ in the Tank Track car park over lunch - so don't forget your sausages!! And for those staying over Saturday night I've pre-booked us 24 seats at one of the best real ale pubs in the town centre - 'The Cottage Loaf' - 3 tables of 8 to be seated 8pm, 8:15pm and 8:30pm.

Sunset formation flying 2