PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Advert

Posted by Andy Meade on 02/11/2017 12:19:50:

Yes, I still use XC weather and look at the pressure charts too.

I think we're also better off hanging on for a SW, as we've fought that slightly off-face WNW in the past, which isn't much fun.

Let's see what the end of the month brings us yes

Cheers Andy, I was doubtful to make this weekend now with work pressures. Fingers crossed for later in the month. Hopefully I'll have something to fly sorted by then.

Alan - NW is fine, but not much get out area below and landing zone a bit tight. A good slope with good lift and. used quite a few times for events. The main problem is if there's too much W in it, and then you end up between the SW slop and the NW cafe slope, flying at long range off of (what i think is called) Puffin Point. It's a hard slope to master, and if something goes wrong it'll go wrong badly.

For me, SW and S are the two best sloping site in the UK - great lift, easy access, great landing areas.

Shame about the wind direction dictating the decision to defer, I was looking forward to an overnighter back in Llandudno!! beer

Anyway I can't afford not to make use of the pass-out I'd engineered at home, so I'm going to give Bosley Cloud a go tomorrow with my A-4 and Jet Provost. The weather looks most promising from midday and for the remainder of the afternoon on the NW face, if anyone wants to join me up there then that's great - Ill be there ~11am.

Steve, I'm sure your Sipa 2000 will work off the slope. I have considered building one for PSS and having seen it fly at Doncaster I think it could be quite good.

There is space for 4 or 5 cars in the cutting (just don't block the gate) and plenty of parking alongside the road leading to Cloud side clay shooting club.

Pretty good day up on the Cloud, good to catch up with Chris Barlow, Peter Garsden, Simon Cocker, Andy Gough and Al Gorham - PSS models flown in the 20-25mph WNW winds included 3 x Jet Provost, Avro Vulcan, Skyhawk, BAe Hawk and the all new F-20! Just a sample of photos here for reference. We had some good sunny spells, a couple of showers and a stunning rainbow but kept mostly dry and not too cold really considering the time of year!

editimg_7374.jpg

editimg_7359.jpg

editimg_7575.jpg

editimg_7697.jpg

some nice shots there and models too.

Shame i am on call and my son Paul had to be taken to a collage open day today so car was out all morning .

Then we had to get the shopping in.

Ho Hum.........

Sunday is usually quiet on call , i guess there is nothing happening tomorrow.

Would of been nice to see you all . I have only ever flown a small foam glider of a slope so i am a noob.

I know that there are powered gliders but would it be ok to slope my Sipa with the motor in and working so i could power myself out of trouble question

Or is that frowned upon.

Steve

yeah this wasn't an official PSSA event as such, just a get together with a few locals really - so we wont be back tomorrow as a group, that's not to say there won't be others up there of course - although its not an official club site it is popular with LMMGA club members of course!

The Cloud is National Trust owned land so I'm afraid no power models are permitted as a rule. You'd probably get away with a low power electric assist model - its all about noise consideration really - but if your Sipa is EDF or pusher prop powered then I would suggest both setups would be frowned upon for noise.

Yes nice day for it! Plenty of banter and flying. Some stunning thermals passed through which Peter & I played in with the JP's. Thought we were in for a soaking watching the rain approach across the plains, engulfing Jodrell Bank telescope but somehow the majority of the rainfall passed around the north point and missed us! We were treated to a stunning double rainbow as it passed which Phil was quick to launch his JP into even though it was flying on just one aileron.

The F-20 proved to be tail heavy for the maiden I suspect partly due to the wide flat nose creating some lift. After a good launch by Simon she instantly stood on her tail, flew back behind the slope still on the tailpipe then pitched her nose down for an almost flat "landing" I taped another 15g to the nose and we tried again. Still a little tail heavy but flyable and quite nice when up to speed. Unfortunately the F-20 won't fly again but will return as the top secret Mig-28 FinBack which was a major threat to the US Navy in the 1980's!

wink

Posted by Stephen Jones on 04/11/2017 22:14:35:

I know that there are powered gliders but would it be ok to slope my Sipa with the motor in and working so i could power myself out of trouble question

Or is that frowned upon.

Steve

Just don't use the motor at all! From experience it's better to learn how to avoid trouble or learn how to deal with it when it happens. Landing out down the slope isn't that unusual, rarely ends with a destroyed model and carries more respect than throttling up to escape!

I'm sure with a 25mph NW wind on the Cloud the Sipa will be loads of fun. Keep your eye out for a possible unofficial PSSA meet on the Orme with a strong SW forecast. Foam warbirds with the props removed also tend to work well as PSS models too but wear quickly.

Thank`s for the advice guys.

I have been thinking about taking one of my many Sipa 200 to the slope for some time now.

new depsipa.jpg

And thought that this would look good on the slope with the prop removed.

This is the lighter Depron version but i could go for the heavier balsa version as that has a glassed body and would probably stand up to the rocks better.

Steve