PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Fantastic photos again Phil.

Shame about the cancellation. But every cloud has a silver lining! For anyone who's now at a loss about what to do this weekend, you might want to consider the first Shuttleworth Collection evening flying display of the season, on Saturday 19th. see link below. There's a Sea Hurricane to take a close look at, as well as some lovely old WW1 biplanes

**LINK**

Advert

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Warren,

Sorry I meant to reply sooner on the WhatsApp thread but been busy with work and football... plus I couldn't remember the names of places I've stayed in years gone by without a search on the laptop...

There are LOADS of B&Bs, Guesthouses and Hotels on the Lleyn peninsula - too many to list, and the place isn't huge so any place to stay around Abersoch is within easy reach of all the slopes we use...

I can vouch for the following, although to be fair Ive not stayed in Abersoch for perhaps 5 years as we've grown to favour Llanbedrog.

Wylfa Guest House - Abersoch

Angorfa B&B - Abersoch

Craig Y Glyn B&B - Llanbedrog

Brynn B&B - Llanbedrog - this is where I am staying this year - I believe Pete is also booked in here!? Within walking distance of the meeting point each day where a slope decision is made. All are good quality B&Bs but as stated there are many, many more to choose from!

Hi Alan,

Yeah there is a host of slopes covering all wind directions within easy reach of the meeting point, the vast majority of them are coastal and most of them are to be found on Mynydd Cilan - just South of Abersoch. Only on a Northerly wind would we have to venture a bit inland to find the slope.

We meet at the Londis car park in Llanbedrog at 09:30 each day to make a decision on slope based on the conditions. I post a copy of this map with contact number and chosen slope on the phone box for any late arrivals. For those who camp south of Llanbedrog - to avoid pulling them out of their tents only to go back to where they were - we often make a few phone calls in the morning and the campers stay put on site and await our arrival (you can camp at Anne's place which is our most favoured slope! - shown as Cilan WEST on the map below)

Westerly winds are most favoured, NW, W, SW all fly well from fantastic sites... S is pretty good too from Cim Farm but not quite as dynamic.

mynydd cilan map.jpg

More details of the slopes on the Lleyn MAC website of course... **LINK**

Edited By Phil Cooke on 18/06/2018 23:54:18

Unfortunately the Lleyn is the same weekend as Greenacres again and I have a couple of new toys to play with there! If the wind direction and strength are more favourable to PSS then I'll be at the Lleyn with a couple of new toys for the slope! I hate having to choose one or the other. sad

Either way I plan to have the Friday off and if going PSS will be camping somewhere in the area.

Where is the WhatsApp thread and how do I find it?

Posted by Andy Meade on 19/06/2018 06:21:00:
You'll have to denounce the false God of powered aircraft, and commit yourself to the one true path of enlightenment in the church of PSSA.

You also need to contact either Matt of Phil by mobile :D

Will warbird dead sticks count to the path of enlightenment?

At most of them yes Alan - we park close and that enables us to maximise the number of models on the slope and also cater for those flyers who's legs don't work as well as they used to!

There's a bit of a walk if we access the SW or SE slopes from Dorothys farm, a stile too. Equally if we use the SW from Anne's we have to walk for 10 mins along the well kept coastal path.

W, NW, S all great slopes with easy car access.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 19/06/2018 13:31:12