PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Advert

Long Mynd SA PSS Event Cancelled

LMSA member Jez Billington has been in touch to reluctantly announce that this weekends planned PSS Event at the Mynd - 23rd/24th June - is to be cancelled due to the High Pressure dominated forecast - low wind speeds from an unsuitable direction. Please do not travel to the Mynd this weekend.

Jez has explained that they will look to run an 'ad-hoc' meet on a free weekend when the forecast is better suited, so keep your eyes peeled for further (potentially short) notice of that over the summer months.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 22/06/2018 08:30:55

Its not ideal, no. Direction is one thing, the High Pressure dominance is another - meaning winds are likely to be light too...regardless of direction.

The Lleyn offers slopes for every wind direction, mostly coastal, but the NE slope ISNT coastal, and its not ideal for our sport TBH, with limited access and rocky landing zone from memory. Lets hope it doesn't prove to be that direction!! True East is fine from a coastal slope accessed easily through Cim Farm.

Neither of these are the Westerly dominated directions we would always hope for when visiting the Lleyn... fingers crossed on the run up for some change, but again with the HP system sat right over the UK, this isn't moving far, fast. Good for sunbathers. Pants for slope flyers.

All that said the event is still on of course. We will be there in readiness... quiet electric models and light slopers of course should be packed for contingency - we'll still have our fun in the usual manner!

My reading of the forecast is North Easterly to Northerly on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. There seems to be a slope way out West past Aberdaron (Mynyd Mawr) which is Northerly but will probably work North Easterly as well because it is in a bowl, then there is Mynydd Rhiw which is North of Aberdaron - never been there - and for North Easterlies quite a long way North there is the Quarry slope overlooking Trefor, which is awesome for a North Easterly but very high - I have flown there and it is very impressive? So all is not lost methinks?

See the chart on **LINK**

If there is anyone wavering, I have just looked at the Forecast again, and it is an improving picture with 13mph NE on Saturday then 17mph on Sunday, also NE, so much better than earlier in the week and Sun etc, so "Come on down".

The only downside is that it looks less likely to be a day getting smashed in some posh hostelry in Abersoch.

Fingers crossed for us all that the NE winds become ENE then E and we can fly from Cim Farm - which is far easier accessed and has a landing zone suitable for PSS models...the Yr Eifl slope, overlooking Trefor - is a good lifting slope I agree, but accessing it is very difficult by car, I would say impossible by van, and the landing zone is very rough and rocky - I really wouldn't want to take us all up there as a group - for me its only suited to sports flying and foamies...

So fingers crossed for Easterlies... thumbs up

I have spoken to the Lleyn MAC club chairman tonight and he has contacted the manager at the Cim Farm site on our behalf - so they know we are coming, they have also confirmed that all gates will be kept unlocked for us so we can fly all day if the conditions allow.

One other thing, if there is NO WIND or we can't access a suitable slope for the wind direction then the club have very kindly offered us access to their flat field site at the old Penrhos Airfield where we can fly electric models all day too.

Many thanks to Malcolm and the Lleyn MAC committee for this invitation should we be required to accept it!

A group photo from yesterdays excellent session upon the NW face overlooking Hells Mouth Bay on the Lleyn Peninsula.

group shot.jpg

Many thanks to all who travelled despite the unpredictable wind forecast - and to the committee members from the Lleyn MAC club for all your assistance in advance!  Very relieved to get some good PSS flying in yesterday following the high pressure conditions we sat through on Saturday when there was no proper slope soaring until 5pm!  As always we made the most of our weekend on the slope with electric and sports models when the winds were too light.

Great social as always(!) all set in stunning, warm sunny conditions. And some superb new models on show, more photos to follow... thumbs up

Edited By Phil Cooke on 02/07/2018 09:12:32