PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

What a view from the East face

A timely reminder (as IF one were needed!) that this weekend 6th / 7th April sees us commence our planned series of flying events for the 2019 season upon The Great Orme in Llandudno.

As I write, the forecast looks fairly promising with North East and Easterly winds blowing both days - meaning we will be parking in the SKI SLOPE car park (past the pier and up through Happy Valley) and flying from the Easterly slope overlooking the pier.

Although less ideal when staging an event than the ‘Tank Track’ sites (primarily due to the walk from the cars) the Easterly is a superb lifting slope, one we have used successfully many times before! Assuming there is no significant change to the forecast and the winds remain from the East, please plan to meet for the usual Pilots Briefing in our established pitting area up top at 10am (not the car park or the ski cafe!)

A reminder too for anyone staying over for the weekend - we have a planned evening meal on Saturday night in ‘The Cottage Loaf’ from 19:30 – Market Street, Llandudno.

If you are travelling I look forward to seeing you and your models on ‘The Big Rock’ this weekend!

A few photos from our 2019 Season Opener on The Great Orme this weekend.

A good meet all round, Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon were the best slots for windspeed upto 22mph at times, the East slope always limits the number of models we see with the walk from the cars but still a good array of models on show and in action throughout the weekend!

editimg_5681.jpg

editimg_5539.jpg

editimg_5841.jpg

editimg_6149.jpg

editimg_6172.jpg

More photos and an event write up will be uploaded to the PSSA website soon...

Yes indeed, quite agree, another great weekend. Needed to come to work for a rest. Too much beer and fresh air. The lift up the Easterly slope was awesome, and I sorted out my Canberra, which flew so well hands off if necessary. I can see some more being put together now and a fleet forming. All Andy Blackburn's designs are ace so no wonder.

Did put together a brief synopsis for the Leek and Moorland site here **LINK**

I'll add my thanks to Phil, definitely another successful event. Conditions for landings on Sunday were "challenging" shall we say but there was some great flying done and much PSS talk too. A perfect season opener!

Thanks also to Phil for a stir of the sticks of your Hurricane, I feel much more prepared for when the time comes to chuck mine.

I think my favourite two models that I enjoyed watching fly were Steve McLaren's Tornado GR.1 and Chris Barlow's PBY Catalina, although there were many other worthies!

Hi All, Well as the dust settles from a memorable first event of the year, the winds also gather for the second! The Bwlch PSSA weekend is only two weeks away on the 11th and 12th of May.

A few weeks ago whilst Phil was revamping the website I offered to book a table for the Saturday night group meal at the usual Pontypridd haunt - the 'Bunch of Grapes". They have now sent through their new menu - which I have pasted in below.(apologies for the format- that's how it came and I cant seem to amend it!)

So - if you fancy the meal, please make your choices and let me know, by PM (or publically if you want to let people know your dietary preferences!). We need to let the pub know by Tuesday 7th May ideally, final numbers and choices.

Wives, partners, friends, family, are also, of course,very welcome. Sit down time will be around 7.30 pm.

To confirm the location, its : The Bunch of Grapes, Pontypridd CF37 4DA. Its an easy place to find.

We are selecting from the "Evening Menu" - ( for info - this is not the same evening menu as you will find on the pub website, that has yet to be updated!).

This post has reached its maximum character number- so the menu is on the next post!

Keep reading....!

Starters
Roasted butternut squash and chilli soup £5.00

Salt baked celeriac, roasted shallot, charred apple purée, pickled apples £5.50

Warm salad of roasted beetroot, roasted garlic and goats cheese mousse and pickled beetroots £6.50

Pan fried cockles, leeks, laverbread and pancetta on fried bread, charred lemon £7.00

Honey and Sichuan pepper glazed pork belly, carrot - raw, roasted and puréed £8.00

Fillet of beef carpaccio, truffle mayo, rocket,pickled mushrooms £8.50

Pan seared scallops, poached Jerusalem artichokes, pickled shallots and Jerusalem artichoke purée £8.50

Pan fried devilled lamb’s kidneys and shredded heart on toasted bread £6.50

Mains

8oz /10oz beef rump steak, garlic mushrooms, hand cut chips and peppercorn sauce £17.00 / £19.50

Pan roasted rack of lamb, sautéed spring cabbage, pancetta, peas, spring onions, red wine jus£16.50

Pan fried fillet of salmon, crushed potato, chilli, crayfish tail and kale broth£15.75

Beetroot risotto, goats’ cheese, thyme and roasted garlic mousse, roasted beetroots £14.50

Smoked beetroot, black bean and lentil chilli with Thai black rice, hot flatbread and avocado cream £11.50

Pan fried duck breast, chorizo croquette, wilted spinach, roasted shallot, cherry and thyme jus £16.50

Pan fried fillet of hake, leek mash, poached free range hens egg, wild garlic and laverbread sauce £16.00