PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Posted by Phil Cooke on 02/05/2019 23:21:36:

Hi Al,

A few of us staying at The Central Guesthouse on Pontypridd... sounds like you might be sorted though?? you arriving Sat or Friday night??

Hiya Phil, yes am sorted, staying in an apartment near the river, within stumbling distance of the pub!

I'm getting there on Friday so I can have a good rest ready for two days flying!

Change of plan - my wife is having a girlie weekend because this was in the diary, so I have booked the Friday off work and will travel down then - hopefully get an extra day or half a day up the slope.

So - Harry - one extra for me - Cockles to start then the rack of lamb please.

Hopefully still some space at the guest house - we will see.

Posted by Martin Gay on 08/05/2019 12:44:21:

Just seen this:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/bwlch-mountain-rhondda-fire-smoke-16237505

This is a regular occurance every year Martin. In fact I was at the Bwlch a couple of weeks ago flying on the south facing Back of Wrecker slope and could see a grass fire blazing over by the wind turbines, a bit further on from Mickey's slope. A fire engine went up there, we saw the smoke stop, then about an hour later the smoke began again.

I will hopefully be arriving around midday tomorrow and going up to the slopes. Looks like a Westerly so presumably we can't get the gate open to avoid the 8 mile walk?

3 years ago Harry and I hunted round for hours for somewhere to eat without much success for the Friday so -

Just looked - the Italian Trattoria looks OK and close to our accommodation so maybe try that one?

**LINK**

Hi Peter - unfortunately no key will be available on Friday as we won't be collecting it until the evening, but it's not looking like we will require it anyway looking at the forecast currently.

For food, Bridgend will offer more options and is approximately a 20 minute drive from the Bwlch, or Pontypridd where you are staying. However, the chippy A Fish Called Rhondda in Ton Pentra (CF41 7ED) is close and very good.

The weather forecast currently shows a sun bathing weekend with a decent north westerly, so a short walk only to the Ice Cream Slope. Sunday is a different kettle of fish with the morning showing NE but swinging to east at 6 mph. This would mean a 15 min hike over to the Crest, which offers amazing lift but equally amazing rotor. However, in such a light breeze the rotor shouldn't be an issue. But if the forecast remains unchanged then I may consider a move to flying the slope at Manmoel Common near Ebbw Vale instead. I shall take advice from the other locals regarding this. Check out my flying sites page on my blog for details.

**LINK**

Today is SSW Steve. I can't work out if Meio Common will work at that wind or not because your excellent blog says just SW. I have put the journey into Google Maps and if I go straight there it cuts about half an hour off the trip, as I don't have to wander through Merthyr Tydfil.

If, however I go to the Bwlch does SSW mean Back of Wrecker or Mickey's?

So currently it is looking like Saturday's flying will be on the Ice Cream slope, a short walk from the parking lay-by.

The forecast for Sunday is still showing mostly an easterly, and if it were just me and my mates then we would head over to the Crest with our models in large rucksacks or snowboard bags and as with such low wind speeds (8 mph) there would be lift and little rotor. However for you guys, the 15 min ish walk is quite arduous along a very narrow track, and I feel that may be too much for some but also there is the risk of balsa breakage on landing if there is any rotor. So our intention currently is for me to meet you at the Ice Cream Slope lay-by and then we can follow each other in convoy up to the top of the Rhigos mountain and along the Heads of the Valleys road to Tredegar where we will turn off for Manmoel Common, roughly a 50 minute drive. The road on the common is rough and pot holey so we will have to take it slow and parking will be on the grassy verge anywhere you can find a safe spot. The slope is then just 300m ish to the east. If there isn't enough wind to fly slope then the common has plenty of open space for flying powered thermal soarers or even Hi Start bungee launching.

Here is a video of the last time I flew there just a few weeks ago.

I enjoyed the gathering on Saturday, despite my Alpha Jet being involved in a mid-air collision.

Andy's Sea Hawk looked great in the air, as did the DH108 belonging to Jez.

I am also very happy to report that my 1:10 Sabre had a successful second flight after correcting the forward CG position. A few more tweaks of the control throws are needed and then I will really hope to put it through it's paces. With luck it will be fully finished with markings and panel lines etc for the next meeting at the end of June.

Many thanks to Steve and Phil for organising the event.

Thanks for the kind words Martin, she just seemed to fly so well straight off the board really, but thanks for the test launches Chris Barlow - gave me confidence that the tail was somewhere near when it came to incidence!

Thanks again to Phil and Steve for the organisation and putting up with lots of moaning fliers. See you all at Weston then the fabulous Lleyn!

Special thanks again to Phil for the photos - from losing flying time to be on the camera, to editing them at night so quickly yes

editimg_7037.jpg

editimg_6913.jpg

Good weekend even with the varying lift on Saturday morning. Impressive to watch several models flying in good lift then suddenly landing/landing out when that lift was switched off!

Came good later in the day and some lovely models maidenhead including Andy's SeaHawk and Martin's Sabre.

Many thanks to our Host Steve and Phil for organising👍

Yes big thanks to Steve Houghton and the SWSA lads for hosting our PSSA event - Saturday proved to be a memorable afternoons flying on the Ice Cream slope after a slow start with light thermal type lift - odd at times, but by 3pm we were well away with 20-25mph NW winds and glorious light! Fantastic!!

Big thanks to all who travelled and made the most of the conditions when they could! I've edited some photos from Saturday which can be viewed here;

**LINK**

Congrats to Andy for his superb little O/D Sea Hawk, and to Martin Gay (and Gordon Studley - not in attendance) who after many months of toil have now ably demonstrated their new NA F-86 Sabre model - our chosen subject for the 2020 Mass Build. More on that a little later in the year!