PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

What a fantastic long weekends soaring we have just enjoyed as guests of the Lleyn MAC upon the Westerly slopes of Mynydd Cilan near Abersoch!

edit1024img_8515_edited-1.jpg

A full report and a sample of the many photos taken will be available to view in good time. For now - as I sit with a sun bronzed face and tired limbs - I just wanted to say a huge thanks to all who travelled and took part - it certainly was a weekend to remember - and many Congratulations to the prize winners!

Best Flown Prop - Andy Meade - Hawker Typhoon
Best Flown Jet - Martin Gay - NA Sabre
Model of the Event - Dirk Tinck - Fouga Magister

I'll get to work on the photo editing and Andy Meade has kindly volunteered to produce a write up - so you can expect more output here and on the PSSA site soon! In the meantime - if you have any photos from the weekend you'd like to share then do lets see them here!

Yep, a great weekend was had by all! Thanks to the Lleyn MAC club for use of their superb slopes and thanks to Phil for co-ordinating the weekend. An amazing range of models was on show - most of them getting plenty of airtime. Thanks also to Martin Gay for a twiddle on the Sabre sticks!  Couple of flight line shots from Sunday taken on my phone.

img_20190630_140905480.jpg

img_20190630_140851600.jpg

Edited By Harry Twist on 01/07/2019 23:21:55

Edited By Harry Twist on 01/07/2019 23:23:26

• 3 weeks later...

The F86 Sabre (2020 Mass Build prototype) will be at the Great Orme for the next PSSA meeting.

I will also have a buddy box system set up for mode 2 as well as mode 1 for anyone that wants to have a fly of the model - weather permitting of course.

sabre_logo.jpg

Photo taken by Phil Cooke

All,

As I'm sure those planning on travelling to the Orme this weekend for our PSSA event are already acutely aware, the forecast for this weekend is pretty awful for our sport, with low speed winds varying grossly in direction and rain currently forecast for Llandudno both days 3-4th August.

No final decision will be taken until Thursday afternoon/evening but reluctantly I have to explain that unless the forecast improves for either Saturday or Sunday then I will have to consider an event cancellation, something we very rarely have to do.

As always this will be a last resort, rest assured I will be watching the forecast closely all week for change but I have to consider those who are primed to travel huge distances to fly with us on the Orme. If there is even a small chance of success the event will continue to run, but I will need a positive change in the forecast to get me to that position between now and Thursday.

I hope you understand my predicament and logic - see the current forecast below from XC Weather!

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS NOT A FINAL DECISION - I will continue to watch the weather forecast and will make a final call Thursday afternoon, I will then post again here and on Facebook Thursday night with a GO/NO GO decision. This should then still allow those with hotels booked etc to make the necessary cancellations without charge.

Fingers Crossed for an improved forecast, I do HATE cancelling events as you all know...

llandudno forecast 3-4 aug 19.jpg

All,

We've reached decision time on this weekends planned PSSA meet on the Orme, I'm afraid the forecast really is no better and I'm in agreement with a few other members that this weekends formal meet will reluctantly be CANCELLED.

See latest forecast from XC below, although the windspeed has improved Saturday it is dominated by the unflyable SE direction and there is also some significant rain. Sunday the winds are still light, variable in direction and again heavy rain is forecast.

Llandudno forecast 3-4 aug 19.jpg

As you know it is very rare we actually cancel an event, but in this instance I see no other realistic option. Apologies to all, roll on September - our next formal PSS meet is on the Orme again September 7th/8th. See you then!

• 1 month later...