PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Patience was rewarded on Saturday with some great conditions and lift later in the day.

It was thrilling to see the flights of the DH108, F86 and my personal favourite the Hawker Sea Hawk. Well done all.

We certainly had ample time to reflect on Saturdays flying over dinner and one or two late drinks. Thanks to the SWSA for access to your slopes and some good company and to Mr Cooke for the organisation and pics.

Onwards to the Llyn event!

Posted by Callsign Tarnish on 21/05/2019 06:04:07:

Salad dressing?

I asked in a somewhat forceful manner for some salad French Dressing for my side salad at the pub in Ponty, only to be told that they didn't have any but was supplied with 2 small bowls of oil and balsamic vinegar. I staged a pretend outrage at the lack of dressing in a somewhat dramatic fashion and the rest of those there thought it was real. Hopefully they will find out in this message that I was only acting - obviously convincingly. Still, there you go - probably influenced by around 4 pints of very nice draught ale, and the food was very nice too.

We always have a laugh, and it is worth the trip. Fabulous bunch of fellas, who are always pleasant and willing to help.

• 5 weeks later...

Its been a bit quiet in here lads this last few weeks? I can only assume we're all busy beavering away getting 'frames ready for the PSSA's annual Lleyn MAC pilgrimage, which is of course THIS weekend 29th/30th June.

rcmefb1668.jpg

At this range the forecast is looking really promising so its time to ready the fleet and prepare for some great sloping! Conscious a few of us are making a long weekend of it - myself included! - On Saturday and Sunday (formal 'event' days) I will be in the Londis car park in Llanbedrog to confirm the chosen site at 09:30 each day - ill place a map on the phone box with the decision for any late comers, and for those already on site and not wanting to travel back to Llanbedrog we can confirm site on the phone!

We're expecting a good turn out too with a number of new and yet to be tested models - should be a great weekend!

editimg_8003.jpg

I plan on bringing the F86 Sabre (2020 Mass Build prototype) to the Lleyn.

I will also have a buddy box system set up for mode 2 (and possibly a mode 1 version as well) for anyone that wants to have a fly of the model - weather permitting of course.

More info on the model will be available soon from Phil Cooke.sabre prototype.jpg

Buddy box, does thou not trust thy fellow modellers? laugh

Martin, looks a nice model, could be interested but a couple of questions, will the design allow it to be built without flaps as my experience has show they add weight more than benefit on small models and secondly, could I modify it for top drive on the ailerons as I'd worry the linkages would be damaged on the underside of a low wing slope model?

Will there be a laser cut short kit as per previous mass builds, release date etc?

Posted by Andy Meade on 25/06/2019 09:07:39:

Ah yes, she can be a bit hard of hearing unfortunately. I'm back up the track on the previous corner at the camp site there yes Trailer all packed, 6 days of flying awaits cakebeer

You are not wrong. I've either booked 5 nights for one person in one van or a seasonal pitch for the rest of 2019 for 5 people in one van! I'll find out when I get there lol.

Tarnish,

The Sabre plan offers a choice of control options. The wing plan is drawn with the option of a two servo wing (ailerons) and a four servo wing (ailerons/flaps). If you really wanted to save weight you could also modify it to use a single aileron servo. The choice is up to the builder.

The prototype model had bottom driven ailerons and flaps as this was the quickest option to try and get the model into the air. I'm not sure what the setup will be for the Beta build, but I am planning to try a hidden (ish) setup (similar to the oneflap.jpg shown here - copyright: Vladimir's Models) on the Gamma build which will commence next month - with build blog.

A CNC cut kit will be available. More details to follow next week.

Martin.

Edited By Martin Gay on 26/06/2019 09:41:18

Edited By Martin Gay on 26/06/2019 09:41:47

I enjoyed the flying on the Lleyn over the weekend, and am very grateful to Phil Cooke and the local club for all their organisation. It was a lot of driving for me but worth it as the conditions, especially on Sunday, were fantastic.

My Sabre had a couple of flights yesterday and received many favourable comments. It looked great thanks to Gordon Studley for all his hard work with the panel lines, markings and weathering. It made the model come alive!

The buddy box got a lot of use with eight people having a stir of the sticks - some of them even had a couple of flights with the Sabre. I am looking forward to seeing the photos from the event.

Martin.

I'll echo Martin's thank to Phil for his efficient organisation and to the Lleyn MAC for use of their slopes. There were some exhilarating conditions yesterday afternoon!

I was one of the greedy ones who flew the Sabre twice and I think that was an excellent idea to offer us all a go! It certainly flew like a Sabre should and I will look forward to putting one together over the winter.