PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Advert

I'm staying at Marfit Head farm campsite which is just over the A169 road from Horcum.

There looks to be some B&Bs/hostels in both Levisham and Lockton the nearest villages, plus a pub in Levisham.

I can't make it until late afternoon Saturday at the earliest as I'll be at the AGM of another club at Ullswater. Hopefully enough time for an hours flying on Saturday, then a full day on Sunday.

Reminder to all PSSA members that next weekend (September 22nd/23rd) we have been invited to partake in the North Yorkshire Moors Ridge Soaring Clubs PSS event.

PSS at the Hole of Horcum, North York Moors

Saturday fly for fun/trimming. Sunday low key competition. Special category for PSS models of full size aircraft that flew before December 1955 and built in the spirit of SAM 35 using traditional materials. Moulded intricate shaped components permitted. Everything from the Wright Flyer to Beechcraft Mentor accepted.

Entry £10 per flyer to enable weekend NYMRSC membership and insurance.

For further details contact :

Michael Kitchen Tel: 01347 810685 or email : [email protected]

Sadly I cannot now attend myself, but I am conscious of the work that has gone on behind the scenes to regain a dedicated PSS weekend at this fabulous site. There are hopes that if it's successful it may become a regular fixture on the PSS calendar. I do hope those PSSA members who are able to travel take part and enjoy flying at this superb inland site.

Well... I sort of was interested in attending this event, but when I re-read the brief... ?10 for visiting pilots? Really? In what way is that encouraging for the PSSA to visit?

Just to put it into perspective - how much do we pay the Lleyn MAC? And they must have to grease a LOT of palms for all that slope access, right? Well, we don't pay them a dime, so why this outrageous charge?

Count me out.

Edited By Andy Meade on 15/09/2018 19:34:37

In A past life working in insurance, that involved a plan that gave coverage of one off 'fete insurance' that included aerial displays if needed, I'd love the see the schedule and premium coverage it seems high at 10 pounds for a person, when it costs few pence per hour per person.

A lot of BMFA member glider flyers have Country Cover. **LINK**

I wish things could be kept simple with real cost benefits to access to land and its use.

• 2 weeks later...

THIS WEEKENDS PSSA EVENT WILL NOW RUN SUNDAY 14th ONLY - SATURDAY EVENT CANCELLED

All,

Quick note to say we've taken the decision to put out a cancellation note for the first day of this weekends PSSA Fly-In on the Great Orme. We've been studying the forecast for some time and we are confident that Saturday will be a washout until late afternoon combined with very blustery winds.

llandudno forecast.jpg

Our event will run as planned on Sunday 14th, meet for a 10am start in the Tank Track Car park.

For anyone in Llandudno Saturday our planned evening meal is still going ahead - Johnny Doughs Pizzeria - 129 Mostyn St for 6:30pm

See you there (I'll actually be in town for lunch too if anyone wants to meet for a beer )

Phil