Can anyone help with finding a C spanner?

Advert

Posted by tom wright 2 on 14/02/2011 14:53:09:
Hi All
I often struggle to tighten prop nuts on motors , do you know where i can get a thin C spanner to fit the average size outrunner?

I wouldn't know what an average size out runner is, all the ones I have take standard metric sizes, 10-14mm, depending on the size of motor, Some with the aluminium spinners need a steel rod (or screwdriver)

Just looked at several, and they all have either a collet type mounting, or they have the aluminium one that screws onto the motor with 4 screws, then a threaded shaft for the prop.

Usually on both, I hold the prop and tighten the nut, sometimes on the one that screws onto the motor, I use an open (set) spanner to hold around the four posts the screws go through, and that is enough to hold it.

Can't put much force on them anyway being aluminium.

Hi Tom

All joking apart, I have had this problem not sure why it sometimes happens and not others, I guess it's to do with the prop adaptor.

On some they fit very tightly and there is no problem on others how ever tight they are they just seem to slip.

JC

Usually if the thread is clean and undamaged, once the nut is loose (holding the prop) the nut will turn off easily.

If for some reason it did not come off easily, one of those small flat open spanners that come with cheap angle grinders would probably be thin enough to fit behind the prop, or even a pair of long nose pliers, you won't see the slight marks in the cowling. If it needs any more force than that to hold it, something is not right.

Posted by JayCee on 14/02/2011 18:30:22:
Hi Tom

All joking apart, I have had this problem not sure why it sometimes happens and not others, I guess it's to do with the prop adaptor.

On some they fit very tightly and there is no problem on others how ever tight they are they just seem to slip.

JC
I get the impression he is talking about the ones that screw onto the motor casing, not the adaptor type.

The adaptor type that slip can be helped by smearing the very smallest amount of vaseline on the inside of the cone, but it has to be a minute amount so that it can never work its way towards the shaft

Tom,

I obtained a couple of C-cpanners from the local bike shop. They are stamped from 4mm (ish) sheet steel so fit nicely between the rear of the prop and front of the cowl.

The peg at the tip of the spanner engages sufficiently in one the prop adaptor slots to restrain the motor whilst the prop nut is loosened. Much better than trying to botch it with pliers etc.

Sorry to post such a seemingly brain dead post ,so i will fess up!............I was telling a scale modeler friend off mine how good this forum is and he said , (ask them if there is a very thin C spanner available that will stop the motor turning ,when in a cowl, and need to remove the prop nut,)......no problem i said just watch this ,you will have an answer in seconds. ................Now see what you lot have done!

Thanks all........there were some useful bits ,and a laugh on me.

Tom, if the prop driver isn't knurled to grip the prop it's best to cyano a disc of coarse wet & dry paper to the driver face. That way you only need grip the prop use a spanner/ tommy bar on the propnut/spinner.

BTW Romeo Whiskey are the adjustable spanners fro Pound Shop very expensive ?

Edited By PatMc on 14/02/2011 23:26:59