Weather's getting a bit better, how much flying you getting in?

Last Friday managed to get a few hours in at the local site. Little bit blustery but a real treat. My Cub did very well in the conditions and unlike the last outing, went home in the same state she arrived.
Excellent day made better by good company. Cheers Eric.

Advert

Can anyone confirm my suspicion that the last 3 years have been to say the least more than a little windy? As a barely capable pilot anything above 10mph causes much clenching of buttocks and grinding of teeth. I keep an accurate log of flying hours and have struggled to reach 20 hrs per year since 2008 onwards.

Is it me or has the dreaded global warming started impinging on our sport?

Hi Dave,

I spent yesterday at Old Warden and some blokes were flying lightly loaded biplanes in 14 + MPH gusting winds anything else coped quite well and without problems. I must admit to not keeping a log, but I still get at least a couple of evenings a week on average chucking the Cub and T28 about. Maybe the secret is to fly something suitable for the conditions ie power and wing loading, there's nothing like stick time to build confidence in all conditions.

Cheers,

Chris.

Saturday it was raining - rubbish .

Sunday it was raining and windy - more rubbish

But we flew on Sunday anyway - cos it was a club fun fly and if we waited for the club fun fly to fall on a nice day we would wait forever!

Limbo was fun, the tape was being blown sidewise and the sticks bending to 45 degrees in the wind - just to add a little spice to the proceedings. Didn't stop us.

"Spin til you die" was fun - but you had to climb to a point about 100 metres behind you - then your spins would end over the field as the wind blew you in - otherwise you'd end up somewhere over the road!

BEB

Add t 3 kts for the valley! It is a perculiarity that our alledged flat field site has I suspect like many other clubs patches its own micro climate. Experience tells me that local winds will always be about 3kts higher than the given surface wind speeds optimistically toted by the met office. I suspect that the site being in the valley bottom draws wind in from off the shoulder of the hill.This is most marked with westerlies and not so obvious when blowing from the east. From the main road we actually descend down a farm track losing nearly 100ft before bottoming out. Our parking area is separated from the pits by a large hedge and what can be a still calm on the parking side often becomes a blustery nuisance as you step on the field. Been flying this morning and expereinced 'textbook' conditions as described.

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday should have been a real treat, the good lady and myself were booked onto a sample glider fight. Yes, I was a little apprehensive in the morning seeing the wind blowing the trees into a blur of movement, no rain though.

When we got to the location the sun was shining, but all the birds were walking. To my eye as a modeller the most disconcerting aspect that the wind appeared to be at 90 degrees to the runway, and the wind was gusting. I was convinced that the promised 10mph winds, had not heard the MET office predictions, worst of all it was gusting to about twice the nominal wind speed.

None the less the club member who had greeted us, was most reassuring, the wind is not a problem, helps the ridge lift. Cross wind?, oh do not worry not an issue. Oh! Erfolg (always uses the surname during a reprimand)you are such a pessimist, said the good lady, have faith, they know what they are doing. But, but... cross winds are such an issue when I used to launch from a bungee or winch. The model swings into the wind violently on release, it can go backwards on a day like this. ERFOLG, are you trying to frighten me?, It is not funny.

Surprisingly I was somewhat happier when it was announced some time later, that the flights were to be rescheduled. Yes, disappointed, but also greatly relieved.

As for the boss, well, she said, they do not want to die either, you should be far more relaxed, they know what they are doing. After all, unlike you, they do not spend their lives repairing.

I have considered purchasing an anemometer, out of curiosity. Partly because the MET office windspeed predictions, appear to be very different to those I seem to encounter.I would still tend to judge myself if it is advisable to fly a model, rather than just an instrument reading

I guess the MET office measures from fixed points, with specific siting criteria, whereas I am at ground level.

In the case of the gliding club, they seemed to be in touch with many local MET office sites in the vicinity,plus there own measuring equipment. Using their judgements to decided if flying was advisable. I suspect that they are more conservative , and experienced than myself, thank goodness.

as i had Monday and Tuesday off this week a lively wind from the south Horcum was calling monday flying in winds between 28- 42 mph great fun with some nice company Tuesday the wind got up between 35- 55mph i had to add 4oz ballast to my new SL Wing but great fun all the same

Tom yes it's Mansfield alright....I'm reminded of the old RAF air trafficker's definition of a weather forecast......I'ts an optimistic guess based on pesimistic data' He always said that from a local point of view a forecast was good for an hour updated hourly. In short, what you could see on the horizon from the tower was what what you were going to get. Except one day......cue drums. A Devon on short finals was caught by a line squall that raced in from the coast. The downdraught smacked said Devon hard into the runway driving undercart through the wings. The command accident investigation tream were on board coming to investigate an earlier accident,.....ho hum. Some very angry wing commanders were stomping about demanding to see the towers weather records...

After studying xcweather.com I went to the field yesterday morning. It's been really windy here all week but on Friday it was supposed to drop to 6-7mph in the morning increasing later to about 10mph. So I went and flew 3 planes, First a Formosa but lost the canopy on its second flight, over a field of crops so I'm making a new one from blocks of foam. Then I re-maidened my re-built Seagull X-Ray, crashed in February. It flew fine but was getting bounced about because the wind was getting quite strong. Also flew my Britflight Hustle, that did need some quick work on the sticks as it only weighs 14oz. I think the wind was probably 10-12mph by then and in the afternoon it rained as forecast.

Since putting together my latest purchase (Kyosho Calmato sport 40 with an SC46 in it) the weather has been terrible. At least for a maiden flight.
I had the whole of Satuday off for good behaviour and didn't even bother going to the field. The forecast said 10 mph with 15mph gusts but the trees in my garden disagreed. I think it was more 15 with gusts up to 20-25. Sunday was even worse I've actually just bought myself a pocket anenometer (or whathever they're called) so next time I can check how bad it is.
Let's hope this weekend gives some nice flying weather, I want to see my new plane fly It's certainly a strong engine, I did some running-in of the engine in the garden and it was actually quite tricky holding on to the plane (admittidly it was a bit oily and slippy). But bodes well. I just hope the wind direction predicted swings round a bit, at present (on Windfinder.com) it's pointing in the worst possible direction (short take-off run straight towards a copse!).

Do not talk to me about the weather, better still do not mention the MET office forecast.

Yessssssssssssssss, yet again the better half and myself headed of for our introductory flight. Today the weather was predicted to be grey, moderate wind, but dry. Setting of there was a little drizzle, which seemed to get heavier. No need to worry, as it must be passing, because the MET office had predicted no rain, certainly not here. By the time we got to the field, the drizzle had all the feel of rain. The predicted viability was good, well we could see the trees in the distance, yet strangely someone had pinched all the hills to the back and side of the area,strangely the hill positioned upwind had a flat top, much reduced in height, with grey stuff swirling around.

After brief discussion the glider club officials decided that the session was to be cancelled to another time. Booo Hooooo.