Hobby King are coming!

Advert

Here's one with him in -

I saw that the other day and I was thinking 'Who on Earth is that ?'.

He's also on a lot of other videos. Just follow the Hobby King channel uploads and search for 'Scott'.

They were recently advertising for people who wanted to work for HK in Hong Kong. Maybe Scott got the job ? If he's in Hong Kong, then I'm very envious

I can't tell from the videos where he's based though.. What's with the old airliner seats ? Maybe he's doing a review while he's on the way there

Posted by Allan Bowker on 02/06/2011 14:15:49:

The US based FliteTest videos are good too, they are also working with HK.

You are joking aren't you ?
They are embarrassingly bad - for example :

I wonder if Scott's opinion of Turnigy motors will change now.

Thanks Nigel & Pat, those are the videos and others can be easily found linked off them. No need for me to add more to this thread.

Yes Pat, I think the FliteTest guys bring something fresh to the scene, I like them but I guess it's down to personal taste. The subjects in the videos are wide and varied, very accessible and has some technical info backed up with lay-mans terms (nice production too).

Have you seen the Flitetest video where the CEO of HobbyKing was interviewed?
Very informative, gave me a completely different view of the company.

It's also nice to see something that could appeal more to the younger generations, we need more of them in the hobby.

Anyhow, back on topic......Hobby King are coming!

• 4 weeks later...
Hobby King are getting closer!

Somebody told me last week that HK are recruiting a Warehouse Manager for the UK (North)

I wonder how competitive the prices will be considering import duties & VAT

Title: Warehouse Manager
The Warehouse Manager's role is to oversee and participate in the day to day running of all aspects of warehouse processes including;
1. Rostering and Staff Management.
2. Allocation of duties to all warehouse staff.
3. Receipting of stock and all aspects of stock control using Radio Beacon.
4. Report to the Management Team of the Departments performance against key indicators.
5. Ensure the warehouse operations meets all stock movement deadlines.
6. Impliment warehouse KPI's and report to senior management.

Requirements
High level of computer literacy and an understanding of the Storage Services and Warehousing.
Excellent staff management skills required when dealing with warehouse staff.
Excellent organizational skills.
Solid experience with RFID and Barcode check/pick/dispatch systems.
Solid experience in running a high turnover warehouse operation.
Hardworking and highly responsible.

• 2 weeks later...
Would be good news if HK opened a UK warehouse that you can buy direct from. If they do, I hope they dont fall into the trap of pitching their prices at UK level ie meaning there's no discount!

I've ordered the 1400mm Cub which is sold in the UK by Top Gun. With 2 2200 lipos and the HK 6 channel 2.4ghz radio, the deal is still cheaper than buying it from UK model shops who sell it with a 4 ch 2.4ghz radio and 1 lipo.

HK get their supplies direct from the likes of ShenZen RC Hobby so I guess they have to compete with other retailers to get their stock.

It is frustrating that lots of HK stuff is on backorder but how many UK LMS actually have stuff they advertise?

I know one UK retailer who has been advertising the FMS P51D in yellow as being 'on order' for going on 3 months now. Oh really?

As they will have to pay UK duties, rates and taxes plus pay the staff a living wageand absorb all the multiple costs of employing people in the UK I doubt that prices will be at the same level as the website.

Their buying power and bulk transport savings may offset some costs but I'll be surprised if they end up dramatically cheaper that UK based direct sellers.

The main savings will be from cutting out the LMS so let's hope they stock all the odds and ends you are used to picking up from yours!

Martin

I buy 99% of my small items from HK, as the savings in both transport and the purchase of the items is massive.

Typically it costs me circa £6 in diesel to go my LMS, a 60 mile round trip. Whereas it cost $3 in P/P, or probably about £2.

I have just purchased 20 bullet connectors for I think was about £4, I have paid more than this for a packet of 5.

The down side is that I must wait, so pre-planning is necessary, or you just need patience.

• 2 months later...
Good. Those in the know about Hobby King will fill their boots with decent stuff at very low prices while those who aren't or who are just plain grumpy about them will be able to sit and moan instead. With some planning, even if all but the largest model shops were to close, it would still be easy enough for the clever people to get what they want at fair prices.