FMS-Flying Model Simulator

For those of you looking for something ot have some fun with then I thoroughly recommend FMS. It's available to download from
http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html
and the best thing is it's totally FREE!

This simulator has fairly decent graphics and a good range of models (if you want more then there are plenty of free downloads on the web, just Google 'FMS Dowmloads and you'll find addon models, scenery etc.) and plenty of other features including:
-support for transmitter control (if you have a connection lead)
-programmable thermals for glider flying
-simulated hand and bungee launches
-collision detection with objects such as trees
-switchable cameras between pilot and chase views
-and more.
I'm currently using the V2.0 Beta 7 version and have great fun with it so go ahead and try it!

Advert

it will work in a serial port but you must change the settings of the printer port. this change allows you to send information into it rather than send from it. it is done by going into the control panel and changing the options on the port settings. if this doesn't work e-mail me and i can send you more help or the 'PP JOY' driver for the lead.

Great sim but now play with areofly Pro deuluxe. RC-sim. free to join and get thousands for every sim ever. even a lancaster! FAB.

There is a link on the FMS website to a page which shows how to link to the mic or line input to the PC, and this is a really cheap and simple interface, so I decided to have a go at it. The site has details for several makes and models of Tx, and told me that I needed a 3.5 mm jack to connect to the PC, and a plug to connect to the Tx trainer lead socket. I remembered an old (25 years!) 4-channel Futaba Tx which was laying around in the attic. I got it and checked it over, but it had no buddy-box socket. I took the back off and peered around inside, and found that the control section of the circuit board was completely separate from the RF section, connected by a plug and socket. I disconnected the two parts of the circuit board, got a battery and wired it in, and when I switched the Tx on I got a battery indication on the meter. First step OK. Next I fired up the laptop and started the Winscope oscilloscope and using the previously made interface lead, located the control output on the circuit board – all pulses present and correct and responding to the stick inputs. The next step was to solder the interface lead directly to the circuit board and connect the battery in a more permanent fashion, then try the Tx with the sim. All worked as advertised, so I now have a working 4-channel portable flight sim! it's brilliant fun, and I find it useful for practicing circuits and bumps and inverted flying.
As a footnote, I must state that I have been in electronics all my working life, so I found the fiddling with wires, plugs and circuit boards fairly easy. I do not recommend anyone else to take this route unless they feel fairly competent to do so.
FMS Homepage:
http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html
SmartPropo Plus (Interface cable) site:
http://www.smartpropoplus.com/BlueAndGrey/default.asp
One of the sites to download planes for FMS:
http://rcp.web.infoseek.co.jp/fms_aircraft_e.html
Software and instructions for creating your own planes:
http://rcp.web.infoseek.co.jp/Rc_hp2/fms/Metasequoia_e.htm

• 7 months later...
If you buy planemaster RC simulator for about £19 you get a transmitter with it.  This plugs into your USB port and works with all simulators.  Worth it for the transmitter alone.  I had a cable and used my futaba transmitter but I could only use it until the battery ran down, then I had to stop and recharge. with the planemaster transmitter you can fly all day.

• 3 months later...

I use gamebird transmitter that came with easyfly sim,but I have just upgraded my computer and now it is so sensative that it is virtually unflyable,can any tell me how to desensitise it? it was perfectly ok on the old computer,I just wonder if there is a setting I can change.any help apreciated.

"I use gamebird transmitter that came with easyfly sim,but I have just upgraded my computer and now it is so sensative that it is virtually unflyable,can any tell me how to desensitise it? it was perfectly ok on the old computer,I just wonder if there is a setting I can change.any help apreciated."

Hi Vic, try calibrating the Tx.

Click on Controls, Analogue controls, highlight Joystick, then click on Mapping / Calibration. In the LHS side of the window, check that the correct sticks move the desired controls, then click on Calibrate and follow the instructions.

Toni

Hi toni,already done all that and tried changing the port,but it's still unusable,just resting your thumb on the stick has the model going wild and you just can't hold it.but thanks anyway.

the thing is it was running perfectly for the four years before on the old computer ,until the upgrade.

vic

• 1 month later...

You could try downloading from this site instead (there have been some snags with the first-mentioned site): http://www.flying-model-simulator.com/

I prefer version 2.8 as this allows you set wind and gusts.

Most of the available models use the simplified flight-dynamics used in version 2.7.  The model characteristics are detailed in the .par file.  If a .par file is about 2k in size it's a version 2.7 .par file.  Version 2.8 .par files are about 12k to 18k in size.  2.7 models fly (with 2.7-level aerodynamics) on version 2.8 but not v.v.  If you look on the FMS forums you'll find free downloadable editors for both versions of .par files (and also the .x files which describe the model's dimensions and collision points).  Editing these can make the model fly MUCH more realistically than as supplied.  A good site for add-ons is: http://www.rc-sim.de/index_en.htm

I initially used a Microsoft Sidewinder joystick plugged to the USB port.  I've recently got a Futaba square-plugged trainer port USB adaptor (from a Chinese Ebay seller called dayxmas; cost about £4 including postage from Hong Kong) so I can use my 6AX Tx.  This is better (you have trims!) but I think the ordinary joystick is perfectly OK to start with.

If you have any problems making it work properly then you'll find lots of tips on the Forum.

I know there have been some Vista issues but I'm on XP SP2 so can't likely help.

You don't say which version you downloaded; there are more models included on V2.7 than 2.8.

One small tip for 2.8 models: if you initialise an IC model with the throttle closed, you can't start it by opening the throttle!  Just like a real one, you need to have the throttle set to tickover or above when you load or initialise.  If you cut the engine it won't restart.  Unless it's electric, of course!

If you mean that the message is "d3drm.dll is not loaded" then this is listed as a Vista problem on the website I mentioned: the FMS Forum.  You'll find it currently as the third message under Errors and Problems - Windows Version.

I guess from the reply in the Forum that this file is not present in Vista.  It is in XP.  The guy who wrote simply found a copy and popped it into windows\system32 - whiich is where my copy is.

If you don't know how to find such a file just post your real Email address and I'll send you a copy of mine.

Looks as if there may be different problems with 2.7 and 2.8.  so maybe try both (uninstalling one before you install the other!).

It's difficult to see exactly how some people have made FMS work with Vista and others not as most people give too little detail on whatthey've got PC-wise and what exactly they've done.

John: I'm not able to give you Vista-specific advice as I run XP.  But if you post your query / request for help on this or the FMS forum looking for others to help you should say which version of FMS you are trying to make work, and what your PC environment is: specifically which version of Vista you are using and (from what I've seen) what resources are on your PC (how much memory, which video card or chipset, which  video driver and how much video memory).  Also it helps if you give the exact error message you see (copy/paste it) and at exactly what point in the process this message appears.  It seems that with Vista there may be issues of your "status" when trying to run the program or its installer (basically always do this stuff as Administrator to get the full level of privilege).  You may also find it helps to make clear your level of PC expertise.

I sent you a version of dr3drm.dll.  I assume that if you now look in c:\windows\system32 you can see that it's there (sort by type: it's an application extension).  If not, you have not placed it there, even though you think you did.  Good to check.

You don't make clear in your original note if the error message comes up when you try to install the program or if it seems to correctly install but then gives the error message when you run it (others on the FMS forum don't make this clear either).  If the former (or you are not sure) then you need to de-install FMS and then re-install it. If it's an install error then you should then find (with dr3drm.dll now in the normal place) that the FMS installer will find it this time.