Weston Park 2011 - what did you think?

Yeah - good day! It was nice to meet up again Alan - I'll be seeing you next weekend as well! Also had a brief chat with Alan on the YT stand.

Enjoyed the full size Pitts Pair display - very good. All I need now is another Pitts Special and someway of flying two of them at the same time!

BEB

Advert

turned out to be not a bad weekend weather wise after all, except for the heavens opening everytime the dawn patrol lads tried to fly on the saturday, ive got a sun burnt head and face, either that or i was standing a bit close to the fence when the bombing raid was on lol,
and the new tent survived dry and intact weyhey

Just a thought here chaps.

Lying in bed last night I got to thinking about my day. To get to Weston Park and back cost me £40 in fuel. To get in with my family (bear in mind it was fathers day so a family occassion for those of us with kids) cost me £33 - and that only after I protested at the gate that charging the adult rate for my 15 year daughter was, in my opinion, OTT given what I was already paying.

So, consider it carefully, what exactly did I get for my £33?

1. I got the chance to walk around some trade stands - approx 100 I am told. Yes, well that's very good - but it does smack a bit of I'm paying for the privalege of being able to buy something . Also, if I have my fact correct, I believe the traders paid £10/foot to have their pitches as well - so they paid for the privilege of selling me stuff - well at least that does make some sort of sense I suppose. But my point is having already charged the traders to be there it seems a bit steep to then count part of my £33 as being for access to them!

2. I got to park my car on the grass - yipee!

3. I got access to some rather smelly loo's - not so yipee!

4. I was given the opportunity to buy 4 burgers and 4 drinks for £20+

5. I met some friends, old and new - definite

5. I got access to the swap meet - yes, well least said the better there. Sufficient to say the last time I saw that sort of thing there were bulldozers around shovelling it up and lots of birds circling overhead!

6. I got a flying display. Well, Mmmmm, that was a bit of a double edge sword in my view. I enjoyed the Pitts Pair, and I can admire the skill of the 3D lads, fixed wing and helicopter, Dawn Partol is nice to look at and the War Birds lads are always fun. I got a rather dodgy pyrotechnics display that was some sort of "cartoon" version of a simulated raid where too many of the models involved were of an extremely doubious parentage as ragards WWII . Its just personal view but I thought the flying display was getting tiried and lack originality and variety. I would have liked to see more larger models doing solo displays with more variation - in my view there is only so much 3D helicopter flying I'm prepared to watch before I get very bored - no matter how many times DB tells me "He's British"! Another point to make about the flying display - is that, as far as I understanding it, most (all?) of the model flyers do this for free - or at best expenses. So to say part of my £33 goes to this is maybe not entirely fair. OK the full size aerobatics has to be paid for - but even so.

So, what's my overall conclusion? I paid £40 in fuel, £33 entrance, £20 on refereshments - so that's £93 before I buy anything from the trade. Was it goopd value for money? - not as much as I had hoped! - and, more worringly for the organisers given that I have been going to Weston Park for a while, not enough to to mark next years date on my calendar.

What am I saying? Well I'm saying that as an everyday club modeller I'm beginning to feel that shows like Weston Park don't constitute particularly good value for money anymore. I understand that the organisers have expenses to meet - but if the expenses are such that this is the best they can do, whilst charging such a high entrance price, then maybe its time to look at the basic business model. These are tough times for the trade and the punter - demand is not elastic in this area.

Am I alone in feeling this - or is there a growing swell of opinion that some shows are getting too expensive in terms of what they deliver? I did hear, from friends I meet there, a fair bit of grumbling about the entry price. I also heard it from traders - claiming that the high entry price was limiting people's spend in the show - and so a feeling from them that shows are perhaps becoming less attractive?

If the standard club flyer looses interest and the trade becomes disillusioned, then the shows will collaspe. Unless of course some one comes along and designs a show around a different model.

What do you think?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/06/2011 10:59:13

Well I wasn't there BEB so can't comment on the particular show.
But the reasons I didn't go were tipped over the edge by the rising prices over the past few years. The weather didn't help, but I used to brave that to see the show and to look for trade bargains.
Over the last few years the trade bargains have seemed to be fewer and fewer, very probably because the trade has to cover the higher pitch prices.
So I gave it a miss this year, probably missed some spectacular models, thankfully missed some new "must haves" that I still don't know about so money is still in pocket and instead spent most of the weekend getting the caravan ready for next week at Greenacres.
That should be a completely different ball game. Fingers now hurting from being crossed for some weather.
See you there.

BEB and Chris - I'm with you. The displays, though skillfully executed, are just models being flown by someone else when I could be flying myself. I didn't go to Weston this year as I couldn't balance the cost of attending with the usual excuse of needing to buy bits.
Instead I watched the first WSBK race then went flying and had a great day.

You are not alone there BEB

Charged £25 at the gate, 1 adult & 3 boys (aged 7-12)
I will be thinking twice about next year, not to mention camping charges for some.

Not much in the way of 'new' or 'bargains'. I feel sorry for the stall holders, the pitch prices are too high, punters are squeezed financially, especially after gate & food prices.

One stall holder didn't like the kids touching the prop on his plane, a 7 year old can't help himself. Are we not meant to encourage the young into the hobby? They are future customers. Hobby shop name witheld from the forum but very much remembered, miserable so and so.

Food was too expensive, we went to McDonalds afterwards.

All in all, we had a good day, weather was fine, met some good friends, enojed watching Ali M. flying his ME262 & Fox.

I reckon they should all just come to Greenacres instead, free entrance, great people, cheap flying and pitches for the trade, etc, etc.

Completely agree with the above 4 posts. I don't do the large shows for all the reasons given above. Back in the day, it was worth going to the likes of Sandown because you could easily cover your costs with the savings to be made on the various trade stands. That doesn't apply any more

My annual show trip of choice is Much Marcle. Not as big as others but that actually counts in its favour. Reasonable entry fee, sufficient trade presence, always a great display programme and a really good atmosphere. That, and events such as Greenacres, are far better vfm

i was dissapointed in the flying this year, but i am sorry BEB the pyro display and the large amount of crashes was the best part of the day for me, i was bored with the coninual Elans taking to the air,,,, yeah yeah i can see that every day far too many large warbirds continually in the air the pylon racers was fun and the odd helicopter and it was just the odd one was really good, but as my mate says once you have seen one large aerobat prop hang ... you have seen them all, a message to the weston park organizing bods ...more variety please, i was bored after 4 hours

You know what BEB...I think you've just put into words a thought that has been rattling around my head for a couple of years now.

I think the main reason for your thoughts is........THE INTERNET!!!!

I used to enjoy the shows for the new stuff they showed us....plus the chance to look around all the traders & see the new servos/engines/radios/models etc.....it was like one massive model shop.

But do you know what...? I can do that any time I like from the comfort of my own PC & probably at prices way below what the traders are charging (if I buy from HK for example).

Add to that you can probably see most of the WOW factor models on YouTube & its a struggle to see what you get for the money!! (It makes my two gallons of fuel look darn expensive!!!)

That said the Pitts Specials, Alis 262, Dawn Patrol, Alis jet powered small glider & the electric vs IC pylon racers all have to be seen to be believed/enjoyed (did you see the way Alis glider & the pylon racers changed direction......what sort of 'g' did they pull I wonder??).

But is it worth the money???? H'mmmmm

I stopped going to Woodvale a few years back. The relative expense had increased. The kids had all left home, my wife found it OK. But when the costs were factored in, there were better things to spend money on.

I do think as BEB does have a point, a different business model is required that marries cost and spectacle, into a value for money package

But having said that the Tatton Garden show is equally disappointing, for the same reasons. It is just that gardening has more adherents who will pay the money, to guarantee a longer life.

Ken, we'll exchange refreshments!

Based on the evidence of my experience last year Greenacres will be a completely different kettle of fish - back to what real aeromodelling is about i.e. flying your planes and having a good laugh in good company!

I wholeheartedly agree! Looking forward to it!

BEB

PS You all heard him guys - he's going to give me a bottle of beer! What a man! They obviously build them different in NE1 Ken!

I always find it intresting reading post show feedback.

I see it another way, Steve and the team do a cracking job, it isnt easy running a show especialy one as big as Weston Park, after every show be it Weston, Cosford, Wonkey Wheels, woodvale etc etc all you see are negative comments.

How about a huge well done to the team for getting the traders there, getting the pilots there to risk there models in some pretty rubbish conditions on the Saturday, I know Weston park is a hugley expensive place to book they have to cover the costs right down to the stinky loos and the bins collected twice a day.

Talk about costs, I was only flying small electric this year in the aparently not very good pryo slot, why did I bother spending £60 on a new ESC after i melted the first one on Saturday trying to entertain.

As I say every year if you think the flying is sub par bring a plane along your self and risk your time and money to entertain, Hell you even get free entry!

Just my thoughts

BB

Well said Barnsey.

I'm sure an awful lot goes into it. Must be demoralising to see negative comments?
I guess all of us have to look at our own personal circumstances though, I do regret not coming, I love watching the displays, looking round the traders and soaking up the atmosphere. It just didn't add up for me though this year.
I'm just glad we have so many different events to choose between.
I'd be much sadder if there was no Weston Park.

I agree with that, and think that Weston park is a great setting, well organised, and I actually like DB sound
Apart from perhaps the NATS, its the one show I do usually attend, but I think the main point being made, which I agreed with, is that in this day and age, especially with fuel costs and budgets as they are, it just isnt stacking up for a lot of folk. I dont think anyone is complaining or moaning at the show itself, or the organisation etc, but merely reflecting the times as it were.I know having spoken with several people who attended, attendance was down this year, and I think overall, all model shows are struggling to get the sort of attendance figures they once enjoyed - and this has surely got to be down to the points raised in the OP

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 20/06/2011 15:19:17

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 20/06/2011 15:18:19:. I dont think anyone is complaining or moaning at the show itself, or the organisation etc,
Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 20/06/2011 15:19:17

Hmmmmm sorry but points 5 and 6 from BEB look like moans about the show to me Im afraid. and Im sure theres more in there too.

Anywho Im sure next year all the negative peeple will be risking there models to entertain and also be bringing some quality items for the swap meet.

BB

Who's the bright spark that set admission to the Hop Farm at £12.30 (£9.20 for children) this year. Let's hope they've got plenty of change or the queues are going to be horrendous - unless the price puts most off...I note that the substantially cheaper prices for Weston Park have already provoked comments...

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/06/2011 15:47:25

Wow.. Some honest opinions there...

I can't help but agree with both the positive and negative comments..

We MUST commend the organisers.. They aren't flying all the planes, or setting the models shops prices.. They do what they can, and the rest is in the inginuity of the pilots, and the generosity of the trade.. So 10 out of 10 to them...

Regards the displays.. It's easy to says it's all the same, but..
1. There is only SO much a plane can do..
2. If you've been before, same old, if you're a first time visitor WOW.. !!!!

I only started doing shows 3yrs ago, and admit they can be a bit samy, but I remember watching them for the first time, and I was mezmorised... The size and noise was amazing...
I still think watching Ali M is worth the entry on its own.. Who else regulaly see's a 22 foot W/S glider, with a TURBINE, on a retracting pod, hooning around like it didn't cost more than a Ford Focus.. !!!

I was least amused by the prices at the trade stands...
Don't get me wrong, there were bargains to be had, but not as many, or on big kits n equipment as I would have liked..

I got 8 bits of 'off-cut' CF for £1 and depron for less than half what I usually pay, but Lipos weren't cheaper.. I saw plenty of Overlander batts at 50p-£1 over RRP..!!

I was looking to buy a DX6i for Pauls Birthday, for his boats (Not for me, so I cud buy BNF's.. No.. Honest.. ) and did get one for £120, but thats only £5 less than online UK shops. I'm not saying it WAS the cheapest, I didn't ask every stand..

All in all, Not quite as good as last year, but the current climate, both financial, and atmospheric, played their part, and it hasn't put me off going next year...

Luv
Chrisie... xx

Posted by Pete B on 20/06/2011 16:02:49:
Blimey, £60 for an ESC for a small electric??? The comments about few bargains on the trade stands must be right, then!

I don't believe BEB intended any criticism of the participants' commitment, just the content.

Pete

80amp is small isnt it

I do agree on prices but remeber traders have to pay for fuel as well, especialy in 4 vans full of stock as i know for a fact one trader had (batts are not light!) so they have to cover costs to.

Personaly I think it will be a sad day at Weston 2020 with just 1 hobby city stand.

BB

Edited By Barnesyboy on 20/06/2011 16:19:03

Edited By Barnesyboy on 20/06/2011 16:21:27

I forgot...

I must say something about about the swapmeet...

Lasy year, my first time at WP, I saw an honest selection of stuff, but my over-riding memory was watching them get kicked, stood-on, dropped, and generally miss-handled my people inside the barrier..
I really wanted to bring my Cessna and Zoom Heli along, but had reservations on Friday nite. What I saw on Saturday, WAS a repeat of last year.
I appreciate they were struggling for space, I don't know how else it cud be done, but I still saw 1 stood on, and 2 dropped, and I was in and out in 5 minutes..

Maybe if they'd just had 2 front entrances, and fenced off all the back of the tent, there'd be more room... ??!

Sorry if you guys are here, it's not personal, but I wouldn't leave my stuff there until I was confident this wouldn't happen..

Luv
Chrisie... xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 20/06/2011 16:26:27