Sound Barrier? Is it possible.......

Tom T

Hi everyone,

With the increasing amount of full size jets beating the sound barrier i was wondering whether it would be possible to break the sound barrier with a turbine jet and using FPV? Could it be a project for a club or for the forum? Guinness book of records?

Thanx

Tom

Advert

hello tom....one of the problems would be trying to oreintate the model at the speed it was going...long before it reached the 'sound barrier'...watch some DS gliders or pylon racers and then take your hat off to the skill involved.....i've watched RC models doing over 200mph and man they sure move....one blink and they will be OOS......

ken anderson ne..1.

Posted by David Gilder on 23/06/2011 19:35:37:
And you all seem to have missed the point of using FPV. You would effectively be IN THE AIRCRAFT!!! Not trying to watch it from afar!!!

I have to agree though.. It would take no time for the CAA to get restrictions in place for power output on the turbines!!!

Dave

You maybe able to see where your going but you would still be in danger of going out of radio range very quickly dont you think? Your eyes may be effectively in the aircraft but your controls aren`t!!!!

Posted by PatMc on 23/06/2011 20:09:27:
Posted by Spice Cat on 23/06/2011 20:04:32:

Or apart from speed, what about an altitude record for either powered on non powered model???

Look up Maynard Hill's world records.

Gotcha. If I have read this correctly, 16,690' is the record but set in the 60's unless someone knows different.

He broke his own record at least a couple of times after that.

AFAICS the latest was in 1971 26,980ft but he also held or holds the record for model glider altitude at 3660ft set in 1966. I have a copy of the Feb 1967 FM magazine with the construction article on the glider - the Bong Boomer & to be honest it's a pretty basic, inefficient looking design from the performance POV but sufficient for the job required of it.

Tim wouldn't they grant you permission if you did it somewhere remote, like the Sahara Desert? I read in the paper that a man flew a RC plane across the Atlantic in about 38hrs, he took it off and then stuck it on GPS. (i would add the link but it wont let me) So its definitely possible for the plane to go out of sight as he was in Ireland and the model was in America flying on its own. He did have technical faults but that was a few years ago now there is even more advance technology (never the less it still completed the crossing). Could be worth looking into, if anyone was interested?

Thanx

Tom

Tom, "a man" was the very same Maynard Hill mentioned by Pat above, and a prolific record-breaker in the 1960s.

His transatlantic attempts - and ultimately successful flight - were documented "live" on the TAM website. And watched, as it happened back in August 2002 and 2003 by quite a few of us on here.

He was actually at the launch site in Newfoundland, the landing in Ireland was performed by Dave Brown.

Hi John

I thought that Maynard Hill landed, shows that i don't read articles well enough. I wish i was into the hobby earlier to of watched this take place but i would have only been 5 near 6 if it was in 2002. Sad to hear that he has passed away (did i read that right)? I agree Frank, i just need to go get $230 millions dollars first ,LOL! Do you think we could make a cheaper one at around £1000-£5000? It would have to be one for when i'm earning a living.

Thanx

Tom

Edited By Tom is RC mad! on 23/06/2011 23:19:55

Yes Tom, you read it right that Maynard passed away earlier this month.

It was quite nerve-wracking just following the progress over the 'net back in 2003. Especially when contact was lost with TAM5 for several hours and everybody thought it had ditched. And then there were doubts due to the length of time it was taking that the fuel would last out... What it must have been like for those directly involved, waiting back in Canada, I can't imagine!

There was a link posted recently, maybe here, maybe somewhere else to some video shot in Ireland when TAM 5 appeared overhead and was landed. I wasn't aware that any video of it even existed until it was posted a few days ago. Well worth watching I reckon.

Here it is...

Thanx for the video John! Very interesting to see that after reading about it! I read that they landing with 2 oz of fuel left in the tank when it was supposed to of run out long before then. Very lucky and took great engineering to be able to do this!

Tom

• 1 month later...