What's the main radio brand you use?

Posted by Doug Evans 1 on 12/11/2011 01:01:23:
i ve used futaba for over 40 years { from single channel up!} you only get wot you pay for!!

I've used Futaba, Digifleet, Multiplex and Spectrum, out of all them the Digifleet had the longest use and never let me down. Screen stopped working on my Futaba FF6 (and Tx battery life was pants), Cockpit Sx was subject to a recall and Spectrum Dx6i has had a few broken trim levers.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 12/11/2011 14:41:00

Advert

Radios are much the same as most consumer goods, in general whilst they work, there is little to choose between them. Particularly now.

Gone are the days when you would regularly send your radio in for a service, perhaps the tuning coils tweaked, pots cleaned.Modern sets are in general reliable. To the extent, they do not seem worth sending for repair. To some extent Franks experience is a little surprising to me. Although members of our club have had problems with Spektrum radios, in general it was the battery holder that was the issue and one unreliable on off switch.

Looking at the sales chart, I do wonder if the budget for some manufacturers advertising, pays for itself in sales. Companies such as Jamara, Graupner, Jetti, Planet do not even register. Yet I know some sales are made as I see a Jetti quite often, at least one or two of the manufacturers such as Corona and FRsky and conversions.

Are there enough results to draw any trends etc?

• 5 months later...

I used to be a Futaba person but recently got a nice shiny dx8 and haven't look back. Lovely bit of kit and (fingers crossed) rock solid other than when I used an indoor/park-fly orange received that clearly was really only an indoor receiver. Since moving to a AR6115e I haven't had any problems at all.

Most modellers in former Yugoslavia were oriented in secure and trusted brands of TX /RX,because no services at that time,40 years ago.A most wanted brands were Multiplex and Futaba.I have had two Multiplex,but highly increased prices at that time,forced me to buy Futaba brand .Today I have two Futaba's .......and fly by T8FG ,lightweight and fine balanced ,for my ability- quite sufficient...

Thanks for Your time

Note:Even today, there is no repair services in Croatia..but I send ,defective devices,by mail, in Austria or Germany.

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 24/04/2012 19:13:42

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 24/04/2012 19:14:46

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 24/04/2012 19:21:23

Futaba boy since I bagged my first set from Ashton Models in 1974... Still have the set, its working on 27mhz... nostagia corner in the workshop.. now use 2.4 module and have kept my 35mhz gear as its coming back in fashion.. wink

Have a Spektrum DX7 to keep the indoor flyers under control... enlightened

• 1 month later...

I have always used Futaba Radio gear in all my planes and heli's, Dont know why as there is a lot of good competition to choose from,, probably because the first plane i bought was fully loaded with Futaba gear and a challenger Transmitter.

I am still old school using the FF9 on 35mhz....

Weasel.....disgust

Started with Futaba (35Mhz, then FASST), turned splitter for a while and went to Spectrum DX7 due to low cost of recievers, now back with Futaba (S-FHSS). After a few glitches and crashes with AR500's i lost all confidence in the Spectrum system; really hppy with Futaba, its almost idiot and bullet proof.