What do you do for a JOB... ???

Cyclicscooby

We all love planes, that's clear, but what do you do for a living...?? Is it related, is it relevent to the tech we use, or a complete distraction...

I'll start..

I started with the MOD doing electronics, got a HNC, then moved to programming for 8yrs (MF COBOL, SCO Unix)

This gave me the techy background before jacking in the office for a MASSIVE LORRY.. :D

I'm a Class1 driver now.. No tech, but how many of you have a BED in your office..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Advert

I've been nuts about planes for over 50 years (yes I'm an old git!). Flying models on and off for 45 years, anyone remember push button single channel?

For last 20 years have been involved in full size aviation refuelling industry (LGV1 - tanker driver) although these days I drive a desk. Great for seeing activity at many different airports around the UK. Even now if I see/hear something in the sky I have to take a closer look. I can plane spot arrivals at MAN from my conservatory.

Skills from my day job not really used in modelling, but day job just indulges my overall interest in anything that flies !

Posted by avtur on 09/08/2011 13:11:05:
I've been nuts about planes for over 50 years (yes I'm an old git!). Flying models on and off for 45 years, anyone remember push button single channel?

For last 20 years have been involved in full size aviation refuelling industry (LGV1 - tanker driver) although these days I drive a desk. Great for seeing activity at many different airports around the UK. Even now if I see/hear something in the sky I have to take a closer look. I can plane spot arrivals at MAN from my conservatory.

Skills from my day job not really used in modelling, but day job just indulges my overall interest in anything that flies !

Hey avtur, when I was in the RAF I used to offload you guys of your avtur FSII, then fill up the bowsers to fuel up the planes.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 09/08/2011 13:01:34:
Well I went into the RAF from school working in supply & movements. I am now the export sales manager for a company in Bristol that manufactures industrial steam boilers.

I've yet to see a steam powered model plane

There has been one, many (many) years ago I'm sure there was one featured in RCM&E , seem to recall it was a large 'floaty' type and the power plant was a Mamod boiler and engine up at the front end, I'm sure someone else will recall it.

(slightly off topic - I made a steam powered radio controlled car (1970 ish) - Mamod / Meccano / Push button single channel I mentioned earleir!)

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 09/08/2011 13:16:24:
Posted by avtur on 09/08/2011 13:11:05:

Hey avtur, when I was in the RAF I used to offload you guys of your avtur FSII, then fill up the bowsers to fuel up the planes.

Good proportion of ex RAF working for us in civvy street - Oh and you've rumbled my forum name

So you're the noisy beggar that wakes me up at night, Ross! (I live near EGGW).

Perhaps not? Just noticed you live nearer Benson...

I've been in telecommunications since telephone exchanges were clockwork - currently connecting corporate clients to and with the aid of the Internet.

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/08/2011 14:24:47

Forestry at 15y, planting, felling, brashing, ditching. Open air sawmill at 16+y, earned more per hour than a tradesman, hard work though. Aluminium Smelter at 18y in the production side, foreman for some years, a dirty, hot, dangerous hell hole. Moved to Payroll/Security with a roving safety remit. Also had a second full time job for five years while still at the Smelter, self taught Printer when a good knowledge of mixing ink was needed.

Retired beats them all though

9 years in the RAF as an Airframe Technician worked on Tornado, Canberra VC-10 and Harrier, then contracted for BAE systems.

I now have an exciting job as a can maker!!!!!!!!!!!

Still, its shift work which means ihave plenty of time off.

Dean