What do you do for a JOB... ???

Cyclicscooby

I'm a gas/heating engineer and part time racing driver

Been doing it for 10 years now, but before I used to work in a foundry that cast various metal parts for aircraft and racing/rally cars (including the gearbox for lynx helicopters and the gearbox housing for the Subaru rally car!)

Advert

Posted by James40 on 10/08/2011 10:51:46:
24 years in the RAF, currently a Flying Crew Chief on C-17s Basically I'm the engineer on the crew that deals with any technical problems or engineering issues.

Not long agao, I was chatting with a guy at Waddington who did just the same thing. Could it have been you ?

Electrical engineer, always working in the world of electric and optical cables. Went from testing to development and design, changed country twice. At the moment I am responsible for corporate development of power distribution cables in one of the lagest cable manufacturers worldwide. Unfortunately the headquarter of the company is not in the UK - so you can find me frequently in the Eurostar train going to Paris....

Oh John.... Tut.. Have you ever looked at PIC's.. ?? I've made my own lighting system for the Heli, and RC cars... Plus it keeps my brain ticking over..
I program in assembler, but there is a BASIC option if you prefer.
About £30 for a kit from Maplin... An 18pin 629 has 16 I/O's... !!!

Luv
Chrisie... xx

Was a good choice. I've bought them. Maybe still is but have you looked at Arduino ? Very cool

Professional model maker, finished with doing show cars for the Germans. Also technical illustrator and technical author, doing manuals and repair literature for Ford, JCB, Lotus, etc.
Now it's all computerised and I was considered too old to retrain.
So forcefully semi-retired!

Foxfan

Years of service in two states:five years air forces,after the crash(confidentially), seven years as merchant radio- officer,after that, twenty years on Coastal radio- station,and before retirement, I was the Commander Coast-Guard officer

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mess on 10/08/2011 14:05:49

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mess on 10/08/2011 14:06:29

Posted by NigelH on 10/08/2011 11:58:46:
Posted by James40 on 10/08/2011 10:51:46:
24 years in the RAF, currently a Flying Crew Chief on C-17s Basically I'm the engineer on the crew that deals with any technical problems or engineering issues.

Not long agao, I was chatting with a guy at Waddington who did just the same thing. Could it have been you ?

I'f it was a guy on a visiting C17 at Waddington then it could have been, however, Waddington use Crew Chiefs but not a Flying Crew Chief as they have Air Eng's and Airborne Techs to deal with inflight issues on thier fleet of aircraft. The Waddington Crew Chief is a guy who will be in charge of a team of guys to maintain the aircraft where as the dirty fleet (C130, C17) have a single guy to deal with everything.

14 years RAF Engine fitter (Hastings,Hunters, Lightenings,Hunters,Shackletons)
23 Years testing weapon release systems
6 years testing car thermoststs.Hated it.
Finally realised that I hated working for people I had no respect for, told my boss where to stick the job and walked out, Felt tenfeet tall as I walked out of the works gates.
Now happly retired with only SWMBO as a boss.

Posted by Cyclicscooby on 10/08/2011 05:55:54:
Oh John.... Tut.. Have you ever looked at PIC's.. ?? I've made my own lighting system for the Heli, and RC cars... Plus it keeps my brain ticking over..
I program in assembler, but there is a BASIC option if you prefer.
About £30 for a kit from Maplin... An 18pin 629 has 16 I/O's... !!!

Luv
Chrisie... xx

OK - fair point! No, I've not (yet) had a play with PICs. They're somewhere on the "to do" list though!

Seeing a thread called "Where do I get good wood" has prompted me to spill the beans...

After 16 years as a BT Technician and Manager - I got into video production. Corporate videos at first - but then became involved as a producer for various Adult services, starting with DVD but quickly moving to pay per view TV channels and on-line media.

This is now a very dead market because as we knowm everything is becoming "free" on the web.

Now producing and financing music videos and small independent film productions.

Posted by FunnyFlyer on 12/08/2011 18:59:24:
Seeing a thread called "Where do I get good wood" has prompted me to spill the beans...

After 16 years as a BT Technician and Manager - I got into video production. Corporate videos at first - but then became involved as a producer for various Adult services, starting with DVD but quickly moving to pay per view TV channels and on-line media.

This is now a very dead market because as we knowm everything is becoming "free" on the web.

Now producing and financing music videos and small independent film productions.

Bottom fell out of the market eh???

Now retired .
Started as an apprentice metallurgist after leavingf school working in engineering company with iron and non ferrous foundry.
Had period as assitant fondry supervisor then changed course and went into teaching.
Based on engineering experience sought positions in CDT departments and took early retirement.

Sorry BEB...
Started life as an accountant Decided it was just too exciting...
Now I run elderly care homes. Some of the stories you hear........
No technical training - all self taught or learnt from you chaps on this site.......So if I crash can I blame it on you ?

Slighty off thread - but only a bit...at least it is about people's jobs.

An engineering company lands a major new contract and its necessary for them to send some people to meet the new customer. So its decided that 4 guys from the engineering dept and 4 from accounts would go. As there is eight of them they decide to travel by train.

The group reach the railway station and the accountants duely buy 4 tickets. When the engineers get to the ticket booth they just buy a single ticket.

"What are you doing?" ask the accountants.

"We're saving the company money" reply the engineers, "watch and learn".

All eight board the train and off they go. After a little while the guard comes along the train asking to see everyone's ticket. As they see him coming from the distance all four engineers sprint along the train and pile into one of the toilets at the end of the carriage. When the guard reaches the toilet he knocks on the door. The door opens a crack, a ticket is held out, the guard punches the ticket and passes it back to the hand sticking out the door and the door is smartly shut.

In a little while the engineers emerge from the toilet all smiles.

"Very impressive" say the accountatnts.

Anyway, they get to their destination, have a sucessful meeting with the new customer and set out for home. When they get to the station the accountants are all "Jack the Lad" and buy one single ticket between them amongst much nudging and sniggering. However, to the absolute astonishment of the accountants the engineers simply walk straight past the ticket booth, without buying any tickets, and board the train.

"What are you doing?" ask the accountants.

"As we said, saving the company money - watch and learn" reply the engineers.

Well the train pulls out from the station and sure enough before too long the guard starts making his way down the train inspecting tickets. The accountants get up, run down the carriage and fasten themselves in one of the loos, just as the engineers had done. At the same time the engineeers stroll down the train towards the toilets. Three of them get into the other toilet opposite and the fourth knocks on the accountant's toilet door. The door duely opens a crack and a ticket appears. The engineer snatches the ticket and jumps into the other toilet with his mates!

The moral of this tale is either;

"Beware engineers - especially when they claim to be saving money" or alternatively

"Where engineers are concerned a little knowledge can be very dangerous thing"!

BEB

nice one BEB, but i would never work with me checking tickets. we have seen every trick in the book i have been a guard for the last twenty years and got three years left to go. a few years ago on the old slam door trains, five pupils from a posh school on our route travelling to the next station got up as they saw the guard coming and legged it down the train to the last toilet and crammed them selves in. there were four boys and a girl. they were all teenagers in their heavy school uniforms long frock coats and thick yellow stockings. the guardsquietly walked past the toilet and gently locked the door. he intended to let them out four stations up the line but forgot them till the train got to its terminal station an hour later. he then unlocked the door very quietly and beat a hasty retreat. to this day he do'sent know when they finally got out. it was a hot sunny day so they must have been well cooked by the way it was'nt me honest

Posted by FunnyFlyer on 12/08/2011 18:59:24:

After 16 years as a BT Technician and Manager - I got into video production.

An ex-colleague at BT used to do video production for them - videoing the chairman's presentations to staff, AGM, etc. - that sort of thing. Last I heard of him he was still there, but back on more "mainstream" work.