What do you do for a JOB... ???

Cyclicscooby

Tattoo artist. Self taught and all of my early works suck! Somehow though I remain a home town hero. After 5 years of it I went to school to become graphic designer, Tattooing to make my way through. Graduated and found the field to be full of ego's which I wanted no part of. So continued on with tattooing. Now 18 years on I own my own business graduated 2 apprentices and teaching 2 more. I want to stop working and enjoy tattooing again so once these two have learned I can spend more time out on the field.
Thanks to TV business has been good. No thanks to the banks and governments business has gotten tough.

Edited By Shane Sunday on 13/08/2011 10:04:42

Advert

Posted by Ross Clarkson on 13/08/2011 11:49:40:
@ Spice Cat: Brilliant, i just can't believe more people have picked up on Funny Flyer's job, or maybe they are too scared to delve deeper!!!! ha ha.

@Shane: That is a brilliant quote. "Self taught and all of my early work sucks". ha ha. Poor souls who were suckered in as your early examples.

The first comment I though of was not so much near the knuckle, it was claen up to the elbow.
Stay safe.
SC

Started work life in the RAF as an Assistant Air Traffic Controller for 7 1/4 yrs, then drove Class1 Artic Lorries dewlivering to various shops and supermarkets.
I am now a Call Handler for Greater Manchester Police dealing with the woes and worries of the residents of Greater Manchester!! Been doing this now for 2 1/2 years.

Dave

Sme bright people on here, ain't there?

On the other hand, I'm currently involved in the manufacture of bespoke toilet cubicles........

You couldn't make it up, could you?

Previous crimes include;

Testing/diagnosis of faulty PS3 motherboards.
Braking/service technician.
Lab tech.
CNC setter/operator.
FLT/warehouse op.
Paint sprayer.

I keep hoping that one day soon I'll be classed as 'unemployable' and enjoy a life of leisure, but the bank manager seems to feel otherwise.....

tim

I had thought that there would be many more modellers who were engineers than there appears to be. Perhaps they will reveal themselves later?

As you have possibly guessed, I was a Chartered Engineer, now retired although still registered.

As was typical for the era that my working life started, it was ONC, then HNC. For those who remember, it was an elimination race, possibly starting with several classes, making about 200. By the final year not even a class, about 12 or 15 left.

I was haunted by many cleverer lads falling by the wayside, failing a single subject. For them studying is over Tommy.

It was then onto a Honours Degree. Being a engineer and therefore uneducated and thick, it was necessary to obtain a "A" level maths and "O" level English Language.

Working experiences were many and varied, as was typical for the era. Did no harm in my opinion. As diverse as Power Cables (now part of Vecchios company), aircraft, plastics and the chemical industry (Oil & Nuclear).

I found the the most challenging aspect of engineering, is the need for continuous learning. I spent over a year relearning or broadening my knowledge of Materials and Processing. As many of you have indicated I also learnt some computing skills, from Fortran and Visual Basic (Visbas). Experiencing the rigors of structured programming, declaring variables etc. Through to the era where memory was no longer the big issue. No more processor time slicing etc. No punch cards, no compilation errors etc)

Again as many of you I have learnt how to use CAD (particularly Autosketch) and modelling packages.

I ended my days as a project manager. Before asking for early retirement.

Would I be an engineer again if I had the choice, probably not. In the end the stress was to great. Salaries did improve with time. Yet the constant worry of mistakes, spending to much money, dropping behind programme, is to much.

On the plus side, was the challenge, trying to understand what really are the issues, at a practical and political level, are wonderfully fulfilling whilst you are winning. I guess the biggest thrill was always learning, constantly thinking why does or did that happen. How can I control that to best effect, perhaps that would not be a good idea. Asking yourself what is the problem, what would a satisfactory solution look like?

In essence the plus and minuses are the same thing, a state of mind I guess.

One of my thoughts over the years has been, where are all the engineers of my generation go, as many did not stay in the game, as industry shrank or collapsed. So I guess I was lucky.

Strangely, I have never felt the need to find a job (full time) after retirement, as modelling and some construction work have kept me busy and happy.

So where or who are all the other engineers whom I suspect are aero modellers on this forum.?

Edited By Erfolg on 16/08/2011 20:40:02

If I ever tried to suggest I had any level of engineering ability, Erfolg, I'd expect to be greeted with a shower of rusty nuts and bolts..........

Pete

ps (That's not to say I don't find myself with greasy hands, keeping the old jalopy running, normally in winter...)

Army Lt Col in Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.
Graduated from Humberside Uni in 1997, spent a few months attached to Atomic Weapons Establishment in 2001, Chartered Engineer with institution of Engineering and Technology since 2008.

Through and through Mechanical Engineer, although do have many EP converted models and love the quick and dirty engineering math in working out EP/power requirements. Which is strange because at University (when not drinking) I could only do mechanical stuff; I could see gogs and gear, beams etc, but those pesky electrons i could never work out????

Always wanted to be an RAF Phantom pilot, but eyesight and lack of ability failed me! being an Engineer, with a passion for all things flying, RC flying for me is an obvious choice for a hobby.

I did 6 years in the US navy then went into construction as a carpenter ,moved up to a superantendent and now a boss in the company . At 55 i have one more year of work left before i retire and then its just flying and building my planes .I am going to move from IL to arizona where it is sunny year round so i can fly the rest of my years. joe

20+ years in railway civil engineering followed by 20+in the dreaded H&S brigade. Railways were born into me but I could never take to railway modelling. Dad was an aeromodeller and brought me up to be one. Being able to watch Rolls Royce testing their private airforce on a daily basis, when I was school age, fostered an interest in aviation. When I left school the decision between joining RR as an apprentice and joining British Rail as a Junior Technical Assistant was a tough one.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/08/2011 11:55:45:
Retiring at 56 to Arizona? Its hard life eh Joe - but I guess someone has to do it!

Seriously - best wishes mate and enjoy it. I'm just dead jealous!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/08/2011 11:56:00

He beb i forgot to say my knees and back are shot from the 29 years as a union carpenter . My eyes are gonig from age ,lets put it this way beb ,if i was a horse they would take me out back and shoot me .lmao I can still fly big planes and i know how to sit in a lawn chair so its all good. joe