On destroying a pupil's Wot 4.....

Tim Hooper

If ever I am requested to fly someone's plane either as a test flight or trimming out after a re-build I always remind them of the "Normal Rules Apply" which basically means "don't come crying to me about the planes damage if anything untoward happens".

Sounds a bit harsh but everyone knows the "rule".

After so many years of flying I will always do my utmost to keep it in the air. Of course if something goes wrong it doesn't make me feel any better about it .

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 21/09/2011 12:10:45:

I'm intruiged though Tim.....I know you're a Mode 1 flyer...)

Au contraire, Rodders, I'm a life-long Mode 2 flier.

My pupil is a Mode 1 reprobate though......

The gear we used was a Futaba something or other for the Master, and an older futaba Wossit for the slave.

tim

Posted by Peter Miller on 22/09/2011 08:41:55:
Glad to hear that you fly in the sensible mode 2 Tim.

If mode 1 is such a good idea why are the ailerons and elevator on one stick in a full size aircraft?

Edited By Peter Miller on 22/09/2011 08:42:29

Because full size pilots and mode 2 modellers are rubbish at multi-tasking !!

The gent in question has been 'learning' for several years, and has been through his fair share of instructors and models but has still yet to fly solo.

Several years good grief ! I have heard of slow learners but it may be that he needs to stick with one instructor and have a structured training path with set objectives of going solo.
Even now when I go to the field I go with a plan of what I want to perfect, rolling circuits, Cuban eights, inverted somethings, does not matter what as long as I have improved by the end of the session - mission accomplished.
Every one crashes part an parcel of what we do just need to minimize the avoidable risks and get on with it.
BR
R

Posted by Tim Hooper on 22/09/2011 07:34:02:
Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 21/09/2011 12:10:45:

I'm intruiged though Tim.....I know you're a Mode 1 flyer...)

Au contraire, Rodders, I'm a life-long Mode 2 flier.

My pupil is a Mode 1 reprobate though......

The gear we used was a Futaba something or other for the Master, and an older futaba Wossit for the slave.

tim

Sorry Tim....wrong Tim...I meant Tim....

I was refering to that Doyen of the Orme & sooth sayer on all things sparky Mr Tim MacKey.....

I am intruiged by Mode 1 flying though....it seems just so un-natural to me....as has been noted the full size has aileron & elevator on the same stick so it surely makes sense to replicate this in model control.....

Mind you I recall that Curtis Youngblood (who is quite good at flying helis I hear) used a "cuddle box" that was held in the crook of the left arm with the left hand operating a slider to control the throttle/collective whilst his right hand controlled a stick that had cyclic commands in the usual fore/aft/left/right axis with rudder control as a twisting action on top of the stick..........er....er....

Once upon a time I could cope with either mode-1 or mode-2 - a result of having a mix of cheap 2 and 3 channel txs and more up-market (Horizon?) units.
Now I fly exclusively mode-2, but I often wonder whether I'd be better off converting to mode-1, as I'm getting problems isolating x and y axis movement as my thumb joints wear.
With mode-1 any interaction should have less effect as aileron and elevator are isolated, rudder and particularly throttle being a little less critical in aerobatics so causing less noticable deviation from the flight path I intend the model to follow.
Any comment?
OK it's off topic from the OP

With mode-1 any interaction should have less effect as aileron and elevator are isolated, rudder and particularly throttle being a little less critical in aerobatics so causing less noticable deviation from the flight path I intend the model to follow.
Any comment?

Precisely why Mode 1 is " better "

While I find the question of the distribution of modes (geographically) and the relative numbers pursuing each mode quite interesting, I've never seen the point in the "this mode is better than that mode" discussion.

I know this is all good natured banter here and no problem - but now and then the "real" debate does emerge. And to me its pointless.

The truth is of course that the best mode - without any doubt what so ever - is......

the one you fly!

BEB