Local model shops - do we support 'em?

Weyfly

I sometimes think my expectations are too high, but much of what G-YRUS says resonates with me. Given the effects of globalisation, businesses everywhere need to be prepared to move quickly to keep on track. The days of a keen and knowledgeable modeller opening a LMS shop are long gone, unless he also has the business and creative skills to go with it. He needs to understand business plans, cash flow, stock turnover rates, profitability, IT, advertising, marketing, windows of opportunity, negotiation, etc, etc. Gifted amateurs may still make it, but it needs a professional to make the best odds for success.

I'm not sure that we are alone in this, at least in Europe. Last year I had some problems with a model product from Germany and e-mailed them (in their own language) to ask for help - despite two follow-ups, I've never had a reply. I also had a problem with aerosol paint from Belgium, e-mailed to tell them - eight weeks later, no reply.

Recently, I needed some scaling information on the dimensions of a P-47 and asked Duxford museum. Weeks of bureaucracy followed (they were willing to help, but had to get the approval of various managers), so I e-mailed a small museum in the US; three hours later I received all the stuff I'd asked for and an invitation to be their guest to look at the full-size aircraft!

Advert

Well, just for interest, here is a picture of my LMS here in Auckland NZ. They have a pretty good range of stock, although being so far from the centres of supply can tend to be out of stock of some things at times...this reflects partly though that not enough of us are building things rather than buying ARTFs. The rather large model hanging in the front of the picture is being built by the proprietor. It is not as badly out of shape as this picture would suggest, the picture mainly got taken to try out my brand new 10-17mm lens, at its widest end naturally. So the view you can see in the picture is about 180 degrees across the diagonal.

John

lms.jpg

I love my LMS. It's about twelve miles away but parking is convenient. I usually go once a month with my list and always spend some more money on an impulse buy, big or small.

I know that they dont / cant stock everything and try not to ask for a pig in a poke. I do also deal by mail order from other companies. It is inevitable with my interests. From the LMS, I often order something a little exotic and if they can get it it is waiting for me next month. Sometimes I telephone before I go to see if they have what I want in stock. They can get most things even if they are not agents for it but cannot be expected to carry Rx's for every make of RC but can probably get it.

However, I am an ancient model builder, more so than a flyer (though not by choice) and dont have the same needs of the guuys who have to replace an item so they can get to the field that afternoon.

Alan.

I think there are a number of factors at work here, as nation we buy cheap rather than quality, and we want it now, not tomorrow, so it is of little wonder that our shops are full of cheap imported goods. The trend is to visit our local shop to view the goods and then go home and order from an internet box shifter to get it even cheaper. However we do seem to expect our local shop to be there fully stocked and open all hours for the odd occasion that we need advice or help finding some obscure component that the box shifters are not interested in handling!

The old adage “use them or lose them” comes to mind.

Greybeard,

You hit the nail right on the head when you mention,' now, not tommorrow' I deal with my LMS regularly ( Formby Models)Chris, Steve and Phil give a great service IMHO and if they haven.t got what I want, its ordered and with me in a short time, I am a patient person though and plan my activities well,could be a lesson for the now generation, forward plan, patience and not last minute.com.

Dave

I don't think that, as a nation, we buy for cheapness rather than for quality, and wanting it now is a global phenomenon, because that's the expectation that the retail industry has created. You only have to look at the number of higher-spec Mercedes, BMWs, Audis, etc, on our roads to see that quality sells. The paradigm often put about in railway modelling was that British modellers got toy-like models because they weren't prepared to pay for better, unlike their international counterparts. Then along came Bachmann, producing accurate if more expensive models and, all of a sudden, Hornby found they needed to up their game and the competition caused an explosion in the market - the demand had always been there, but unfulfilled. As someone else has said here, distributors look for best prices from manufacturers, retailers do so from distributors, so why shouldn't we customers do the same? Remember, too, that the 'box-shifters' are often the same LMS that you purchase from over-the-counter, offering a discount for online purchases. My nearest shop has seen such an increase in that part of their business that they now treat shop customers as a damned nuisance.

Yes, I do try (TJD Models) but whilst they are friendly enough when we go in, I find their service a bit hit and miss. and I feel like they do not take me seriously.

My wife has also bought stuff for me and says that she doesnt find them very helpful.

Not like the gold 'ol days at Avicraft

Rich

Edited By Dickster on 09/08/2012 11:10:40

Edited By Dickster on 09/08/2012 11:11:35

Hellcat,I think I agree with all your observations.

To often high prices are about ordinary to poor goods, sold as you only get what you pay for, or you must pay for a quality service.

How many of us had BL cars in the 1970's, where heaters and wing mirrors etc were extras, where as Japanese cars came fully loaded for often costing less, higher quality and did not break down. There is similar story with many other goods.

Do LMS have a place, possibly as Regional Model shops, certainly not as LMS as we know them today. A quality service, together with touching the goods will almost certainly have a place. LMS will possibly become the province of hobbyist trader, who does it for love, not money.

On line, mail order, will probably grow during the foreseeable future, even RCM&E is at it, via MyHoobyStore. Quality does not have to suffer, or service be poor for this form of trading. I am certain that MyhobbyStore aims for the highest quality and service, as do many more.

I feel like I must put my spoke in here ,& NO, I'm not going to be Grumpy.

We had a visitation from Flytilbroke over this week . Yes ,he flew my model half a second longer than me and suggested I get smaller aeroplanes for our terrain ! I have perused the websites to do with flying all morning and found Glider Distribution based in Newark .Having phoned them up and been given such good advice and help /I'm an IC fanatic by the way (even telling me about things I wouldn't have thought of eg connector from my charger to their battery ) I placed an order for the Multiplex Easy glider complete with the electrics and two 2s lipos . I persuaded him to knock off 10% if I mentioned them on this forum ! (only joking -but I've mentioned them anyway -they deserve it ). Now how could I get that help & advice from the Far East ? Roll on tomorrow teeth 2

Flytilbroke is winging his way over to Elvington at this moment by the way . Presumably to crash bigger models than mine!

Only joking Bob & Dot !(if you read this that is !)

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 09/08/2012 13:43:01

The only Scotsman that DOESN'T drink Whisky -by the way !!!

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 09/08/2012 13:51:08

Sounds like you need a set of antiground magnets Myron, but it's nice to read of good service form Gliders, I must drop in on them next time I'm on the A1 and need a break; good advice is invaluable. The other aspect of supporting a LMS is finding the small components that maybe we would otherwise have difficulty finding since most website only advertise the more expensive lumps.

Erfolg

Howcome all the advice I ever get tells me I've done the wrong thing ,having made a decision (quickly I admit)? I wasn't bothered by price but by quality actually & to fulfill its purpose ie. to get me flying again .Once I've achieved that ,I'll dig out all my other models .I don't think I'll ever go all electric -But -you never know .Watch the "for sale "columns next year maybe .I must have a look at the Parkzone Radian ,just to make myself sick if it's perfect that is ?Then again ,I only have 38 acres wink 2

No mistake Myron, great model.

Multiplex models are the Bees Knees. Just a tad more expensive than Parkzone, plus they get a 2.4 set thrown in with Lipo, there appears to be some incredible deals out there.

But defiantly not a mistake. There was one at the club for a bit. Went onto a Cularis, another incredible model.

I do attempt to support LMS if they have stock. Called in the other day for the first time in a couple of months to find a large expanse of display shelves taken up with airfix type of kits. As the owner say they sell and I need to make money which I can understand. Will still order in on request but not tying cash up on slow moving models

I have ben thinking how to sum up my earlier comments and it comes down to British shops having a buy what I have as it puts me to no bother, attitude. I would gladly pay my LMS to find what I want and earn his wages if he could be bothered. But they cant be bothered they want something for nothing. Life isnt that easy for me and I want what I want! Not what he wants me to have. They will not be successful with a sit back and wait attitude.