The price of heating oil

Tony Read 2

Ok, so I got fed up with sitting at home in my jumper, hat and scarf (and all my other clothes before anyone mentions it! ) and went and ordered some heating oil.

Cowabunga! What a price! The best I could get is 56.15p per litre plus tax. When you order 1000 litres that a lot of money.

Now, the Office of Fair Trading say you need to shop around because there is competition in the market place. Yeh, right! Between the highest and lowest price there was £3.00 difference over 1000 litres, thats a whopping 0.3p per l. The word cartel springs to mind.

Rant over.

Advert

I have a wood burning stove, the price of the wood has over double in the year.

The other issue is that it needs to be seasoned. This takes about a year under cover, my, does the pile shrink due to evaporation, you would not believe it.

You need the space to store it , a flat bed truck as used by tree surgeons holds a lot.

The heat output is impressive, the central heating becomes background, running until I get the fire lit.

The chimney must be lined, with a liner, mine cost I think about £200.

The important bit, is the cost, I reckon on about £300 for the year.

56.15p per litre, works out at around 150 US$ per barrel, the current world oil price is around 85-110US$ per barrel, which is what the refineries have to pay for the feed stock.

So the 40-50 US$ is to cover refining, transportation and profit. But refineries have a fairly fixed capacity so if the demand for heating oil goes up so will their price.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 21/10/2011 08:33:04:
But you are not allowed to collect wood on private property.
Not entirely accurate there Tom.....

As long as you have the Land Owners Permission, you are ok.
Its only if you enter their land without permission that it becomes Tresspassw (unless you live in Scotland where the laws are different for Tresspass!!)

So there you have it Tony... Looks like a wood burner is the way to go !!!!

Chop Chop!!!

But if you have a direct injection Diesel car it will run lovely on heating fuel, that will offset the cost of the heating oil, but mind you you can only run the car on private land

I'd LOVE a log burner, trouble is my tiny bungalow just does not have the space.

My main gripe is the lack of competition in the oil market place. My first ringaround for prices gave me a difference of 0.02p per litre, yes thats 0.02 pence difference between four companies!!! Cartel?

Only by playing one company off against another did I get it up to 0.3p.

dont think it matters one jot---what you use for fuel---- your going to get fleeced.... the gov cant do anything about it either...offgem ia also a waste of our(tax payers ) money ... dont forget that world oil prices have dropped a fair wack.... but we are still having to pay top prices..... profiteering is the correct description....

ken anderson...ne..1 ... fleeced dept..