Red Arrows incident

Steve W-O

RIP. My thoughts go to his family, friends and his fellow pilots. Is there a problem with BAE systems? I think they should get rid of the whole fleet of aircraft and replace it with new hawk T2's and then run numerous safety checks.... I can't believe they could let another major accident happen within a few months of the other. Does anyone know which pilot it is yet?

Cheers

Tom

Posted by Tom T on 08/11/2011 18:41:44:

Does anyone know which pilot it is yet?

From several sources, "The pilot's family has asked for a period of grace until his name is released."

The Daily Wail however have seen fit to ignore that request...

Agree with all sentiments in these posts. I consider myself extremely priveledged as I work close to Scampton where the RA's are based and often watch them practicing overhead, it is awe inspiring, these guys are so skilled and it is heartbreaking to hear of another tradgedy so close to the previous one. Indeed our thoughts must go out to the squadron and family members concerned. I just cannot imagine a world without these people who do this, they are ambassadors for the UK, every one of them - so sad !!

Thank you Daily Wail for showing zero respect to someone who deserves so much more....................

Thanx They are a great team and give great entertainment to the thousands! Such a shame that the Nation has lost two great pilots within 3 months.

Tom

I hear that the Tornados have been grounded because they use the same seats.

We lost the Office I/C model club at Wattisham back in 63 when he was in a two seat Hunter. They went inverted the caonpy went and his seat slid half way out and dumped him,

The aircraft came back with the other pilot.

Not really clear what happened but I saw the aircraft in the hangar with the seat still half way out.

It seems he was South African born, returned to the UK whern he was 9.
Had the chance to become a profesional footballer, but chose flying.

Reports are that the major injuries were caused because the canopy failed to open (or charges failed to burst it) and he was forced through the canopy. Whether that cause the chute not to deploy isn't stated.

The fact that the chair ejected, but the canopy charges didn't blow (I assume that is what they meant by it not opening, maybe it is totally diferent) would indicate a fault in the chair itself.

Keith,

From my memory of when I was lucky enough to have a back seat flight in one of the Red Arrows Hawks (a few years back now), the canopy glass is approx 3/4 - 1cm thick.

I agree this is a tragic incident so shortly after the Bournmouth incident.
But isnt is strange just how much extras media coverage it is getting because it was a Red Arrows Pilot (or is that just how I'm seeing it!)

Still, The RAFAT do great things to promote the RAF and I have seen just how much work the enginnering ground crew (Blue Suits!) do to keep them going.

Long may they Fly.

Many thanks David. I think the Red Arrows is very much in the public eye, and is used for public displays and therefore high profile. The other serving officers in the world's Airforces is more hidden and accidents do happen due to demands in the training regime and active duty, I don't mean that each person's death is acceptable but if that's the price we pay for. (If you know what I mean.)